Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 06:27 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,166,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I wont say that people who moved out of Mott Haven and moved back to invest. All the people I know that moved out of Mott Haven moved out for good and never vow to return to invest in any way shape or form. Those that return only come to visit family who live in the hood and some are astonished about the changes in the area but none will move back to invest because its out of their price range. Once one is done with Mott Haven or the Bronx or NYC or NY State, they are done for good and take their Bronx ways with them to Pennsylvania Florida, Arizona, Nevada, North Carolina, Georgia and to NJ with them to infuriate those locals! I can't wait until I become a Transplant!
Not everyone. A solid number of people decided to stay in the neighborhood, buying property. I know a few people who grew up in various housing projects in the area, only to invest a few blocks away. One guy I know, bought an entire apartment building and renovated it.

The ones that leave the city entirely are typically the worst off.

Ever since moving back to the Bronx, I find myself in Mott Haven a couple times a week. The area has it's problems, but it's dealable considering Manhattan bound commute times.

If Mott Haven had a Melrose Commons/Via Verde/Hunter's Point South like master plan near the waterfront, I think it would hard for me not to relocate there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 09:22 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
Anon: If someone has 15 credit cards and $50 million to spend, what business is it of yours what neighborhood they move to, and why must it meet your criteria? People live where they want to live for a variety of reasons, so unless you are paying their bills, what right do you have to comment, criticize, or otherwise dictate their choices? I don't understand why you feel "your people" own a neighborhood any more than other people before you did? I don't understand why you have a problem with people of means moving into lower income communities....is there a rule that excludes them we don't know about? Only brown and black poor people allowed? Are you supposed to have a great reason to move there, and must they seek your approval? Yes they can live anywhere, and they are choosing these communities....SO WHAT?

Get a life dude...and let people live their own the way they want..they are not asking you to pay their bills!

NYkiddo: Mott Haven already has a waterfront masterplan in place, approved by the community board, of high rises, greenways, mixed income condos/rentals, retail, outdoor restaurants for the waterfront from just south of Yankee Stadium swooping around to the Willis Ave Bridge. It is about 7 years out I would say before it begins in earnest. The area was recently rezoned, which was the big first step. If you walk down Bruckner Blvd along Port Morris you will note 1/2 the buildings are now "For Sale."

City plans a new neighborhood in Mott Haven

Old 06-04-2013, 09:33 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,041,025 times
Wth? Sobroguy posting at 9 pm? It's a miracle!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:25 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Anon: If someone has 15 credit cards and $50 million to spend, what business is it of yours what neighborhood they move to, and why must it meet your criteria? People live where they want to live for a variety of reasons, so unless you are paying their bills, what right do you have to comment, criticize, or otherwise dictate their choices? I don't understand why you feel "your people" own a neighborhood any more than other people before you did? I don't understand why you have a problem with people of means moving into lower income communities....is there a rule that excludes them we don't know about? Only brown and black poor people allowed? Are you supposed to have a great reason to move there, and must they seek your approval? Yes they can live anywhere, and they are choosing these communities....SO WHAT?

Get a life dude...and let people live their own the way they want..they are not asking you to pay their bills!

NYkiddo: Mott Haven already has a waterfront masterplan in place, approved by the community board, of high rises, greenways, mixed income condos/rentals, retail, outdoor restaurants for the waterfront from just south of Yankee Stadium swooping around to the Willis Ave Bridge. It is about 7 years out I would say before it begins in earnest. The area was recently rezoned, which was the big first step. If you walk down Bruckner Blvd along Port Morris you will note 1/2 the buildings are now "For Sale."

you're an idiot... plain and simple... there is no point trying to have a rational conversation with you since clearly you always regress to your same repetitive point instead of addressing the issues actually being discussed... And yet stupid me, I get sucked in thinking there's a chance you've learned comprehension skills and we can actually debate like men but nope... still a child... I bring up a specific point... you talk about how the sky is green on Venus...

Old 06-04-2013, 11:43 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,166,913 times
Quote:

I am really interested in possible waterfront development at that location. I really hope this is done like Hunters Point South master plan.

That article really leaves us a cliff hanger. No confirmation on the up zoning, no official renders.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 AM

NYKiddo: Lower Concourse - Department of City Planning

As I stated, everything is now in place, and the "For Sale" signs have sprouted all along Bruckner Boulevard. I see the redevelopment commencing in earnest within the next 7 years. During that same time ( I recommend clicking on the links as most have a visual and lots of good info):

1. The large high rise mixed use developments along the Sheridan Expwy will be mostly complete.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/25/re...anted=all&_r=0

2. All remaining parcels in Melrose will be built with mixed income housing and retail.

3. The 190,000 sf new retail and office building "Triangle Plaza" will be complete on 149th and Bergen in the Hub (to include a "fresh supermarket", outdoor restaurants, etc).
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...055858578.html
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/5/prweb10684813.htm

4.The 165,000 sf Riverdale Crossing mall along the Major Deegan will be complete. Tenants include Buffalo Wild Wings, Petco, BJs
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/04/...rket-blossoms/

5. The new 800,000 sf mall in Co-op city will be complete. Anchors include Macy's and JC Penny's.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/13/re...the-bronx.html

6. The new Webster Ave mix use corridor will also be in the middle of development.
http://www.nycedc.com/sites/default/...eb_version.pdf
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...058280520.html

7. The Bronx Opera House Hotel will be up and running on 149th and Bergen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronx_Opera_House
http://operahousehotel.com/

8. The new Paragon Outlets retail shopping center (formerly Whitestone Cinema) will be complete.
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TING/120719917

9. New Crossroads Plaza development which is 14 stories, 400,000 sf mixed use development ( 1 rental building, 2 condo buildings), school + 40,000 sf of retail + pedestrian plaza (decommisioning Union Ave) will be complete in Mott Haven.
http://www.motthavenherald.com/2012/...r-garden-site/

In the next 10 years, the Bronx as a whole, and particularly the Southern Bronx, will look and feel very different due to all of this massive residential and retail development.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 06-05-2013 at 09:28 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 08:57 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
You just repeated what I said. Thought I made it pretty clear. Replace "or" with "mostly from" will eliminate the confusion.

It's too bad the community allowed developers to build so much crap infill during the 90s. The rowhouses with the driveways out front are hideous.

Redevelop those lots with mostly 8-10 story, modern, energy efficient apartment buildings with roof gardens/decks. Like Melrose Commons. I love Melrose Commons, now that's how you rebuild up the Bronx.
Melrose is an interesting case study. As late as 2005 the blocks from E156th to E163rd were vacant lots with the occassional tenement here and there sticking out like a sore thumb. The neighborhood was developed very fast.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:45 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I am really interested in possible waterfront development at that location. I really hope this is done like Hunters Point South master plan.

That article really leaves us a cliff hanger. No confirmation on the up zoning, no official renders.
Quote:

Sobroguy got this NYkiddo wet and jumping like a puppy with that link!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:52 AM

Lol...if that made him jumping and wet, my post with 9 links made his head explode!

Old 06-05-2013, 10:52 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,331 times
Default New Zoning proposal for East Fordham road.

New Zoning Plan Could Bring More Business To Bronx's East Fordham Road - NY1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City