U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,451,291 times

Advertisements

Some people mention the garbage dump, and how you can smell it all over SI. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 PM

3,367 posts, read 3,777,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Yea, I actually checked apartment listings and I was like DAMN. Some SI apartments even have washer/dryer in unit for like $1000 a month. It's def way cheaper than even further parts of Queens so it seems like it does outweigh. I'm not sure if these apts are spacious or not, but I pay that in NJ, and I don't have w/d. Maybe it's not a big deal for people around here, but I was accustomed to doing laundry at home back in NW so I hate going to laundromats or apartments own laundry facilities.
Yeah, the thing is that some apartments are rented out of a private home, which means you'll probably get a better deal than in an apartment building.

Quote:
Some people mention the garbage dump, and how you can smell it all over SI. Is that true?
No, not really. I mean, there were times when I was walking along the west side of Richmond Avenue, which borders the dump, and I smelled something, but once I crossed over, I didn't really notice anything. If it bothers you, just don't look into the areas immediately bordering the dump (Travis, New Springville, Arden Heights, etc)

BTW, do you know how to use the multi-quote feature?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 PM

O ok, far as I understand the dump is closed now and they are planning to turn it into a park or something? I asked about SI on NJ forum, and I don't understand why people hate on SI so hard. Even NYers do. Maybe being new in NYC area, I am missing something, I don't know.
And no, I actually don't know how to use that feature.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
O ok, far as I understand the dump is closed now and they are planning to turn it into a park or something? I asked about SI on NJ forum, and I don't understand why people hate on SI so hard. Even NYers do. Maybe being new in NYC area, I am missing something, I don't know.
As somebody else put it, it's like teasing your little brother. You're just joking around with them, but you don't mean what you say. Quite frankly, anybody who believes that SI is trashy or anything like that is an idiot (I'm not referring to you. I'm referring to the people who repeat "SI is a dump" over and over again, and actually believe it, without having actually been here).

I mean, yeah, you have the Jersey Shore types here, but it's a small minority of the people here. The majority of the people here aren't that obnoxious.

And yeah, they're going to turn Fresh Kills into a park in 10 years or so.

As far as the multi-quote feature, you see that little square with the quotation marks in the lower right hand side of every post. Click on that and then it'll make a note that you intend to reply to that post later. Keep doing that for all the posts you intend to reply to, and then when you've selected all the posts, click "Post Reply".

Don't worry. It took me a while to figure it out, but I got the hang of it.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 PM

Cool, thanks. That is useful.
I'm not sure if they are joking though, you might wanna read this: Staten Island vs Northern NJ They all bitter as hell like they holding grudges lol
Whatever the case is, I'm not one of those insecure people that look for status confirmation from others, as long as I like something, it's all that matters so empty bashing is not gonna change my view unless people bring real facts like we discuss here. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 PM

2,585 posts, read 3,274,886 times
Quote:
There is no maybe about it.
Staten Island is the NYC, NYC loves to hate. Even though it probably is THE MOST NYC borough of all. The amount of born & raised NYC types (per capita) is far & above the other 4 boroughs.
NYC absolutely refuses to accept their own negative cultural byproducts. Staten Island IS NYC. That pisses NYC off more than anything.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 PM

2,585 posts, read 3,274,886 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if they are joking though, you might wanna read this: Staten Island vs Northern NJ They all bitter as hell like they holding grudges lol
Wow! You have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about.
NYC loves, loves, loves to pawn Staten Island off on New Jersey.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:58 PM

You're saying SI is a negative, cultural byproduct?

Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Cool, thanks. That is useful.
Whatever the case is, I'm not one of those insecure people that look for status confirmation from others, as long as I like something, it's all that matters so empty bashing is not gonna change my view unless people bring real facts like we discuss here. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?
Well, what can I say? They have a right to their opinion, even if it makes no sense whatsoever.

As far as where I live, I won't get into specifics, but I'll just say that I live in the Northwestern part of Staten Island. But if you have any questions about any neighborhood on SI you're looking into, I should be able to give a good answer, since I've traveled around.

Just glancing at your original post, the East Shore has a lot of Russians. I know the Midland Beach area has a lot, but I've heard that they're moving further south into the South Shore (Great Kills, Annadale, Tottenville, etc). I don't know how technical you want to get about the different "shores", but basically, the Hylan Blvd corridor would probably have a lot of Russians. It wouldn't be like southern Brooklyn (Brighton Beach, Sheepshead Bay, etc), but that would be the closest thing to a Russian neighborhood you'll find on SI.

Midland Beach would probably be more affordable than areas further south, though its crime rate might be a tad higher (it's a trivial difference, though). It has the advantage of being closer to the Verrazanno Bridge, though the disadvantage is that traffic can sometimes be an issue along both Hylan Blvd and Father Capodanno Blvd.

The North Shore generally has more diverse neighborhoods if you would prefer that over living with other Russians. Areas like Ward Hill, Rosebank, and Graniteville are pretty diverse, and are just fine. There are some areas further north that have a bad reputation, but it really depends on what section you live in (generally, the worst sections are all the way north by Richmond Terrace), so that might be something to consider if you're looking to save some money.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Yeah, the thing is that some apartments are rented out of a private home, which means you'll probably get a better deal than in an apartment building.

No, not really. I mean, there were times when I was walking along the west side of Richmond Avenue, which borders the dump, and I smelled something, but once I crossed over, I didn't really notice anything. If it bothers you, just don't look into the areas immediately bordering the dump (Travis, New Springville, Arden Heights, etc)

BTW, do you know how to use the multi-quote feature?
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Wow! You have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about.
NYC loves, loves, loves to pawn Staten Island off on New Jersey.

Those NYers who do are traitors then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City