Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,141 times

Advertisements

I was laid off from my job in in NYC in February 2011, where I started receiving UE Benefits after. Shortly after that I moved to California where I did a 1099 short term contract job. I did not collect benefits during my self-employment. When the job ended, I began to collect again. My 26 weeks finished and I went into Extended Benefits after. This past February 2012, my Benefit Year Ended and I registered/opened a new claim in my same account from NYC. I am still unemployed in CA. They then asked me to send them my 1099 documents. I am currently waiting to hear back.
My understanding is that they have to look at the "base period" which should still be fine because I worked at the last company for a year.

Does anyone have any experience in this? Will I be able to continue and reopen this claim? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 04:24 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
You go onto an EXTENDED period automatically BUT, any time you qualify for ANOTHER claim (normal state paid 26 weeks) that superceded the extended benefits and you "start over."

In NY, the requirement is a look-back 5 quarters, counting the first 4: you will get 1/26 of the total of your best quarter among these 4, PROVIDED you had enough work in the other 3 quarters to equal 50%+ of the best quarter.

How California works I have no idea. But it;s probably you do not have enough work for a claim there.

I think you cannot likely open a new claim for NY because the look-back 5 quarters can only capture ONE quarter of NY employment... not enough. BUT you still have many weeks of extended UI paid by the federal government.
But it IS possible that they might use the last quarter of NY's earnings (Final quarter of 2010) and couple it with the short term California money and the bit you made as a temp, if it is more than half that final NY quarter, 2010, but that's likely gonna be one for an administrative judge to decide...it is NOT a run-of-the-mill occurrence.
My GUESS is that if they want to see your 1099's from California, they ARE willing to consider them in deternining if you made that 50%+ for a new clainm in NY. But I would not worry, you will qualify one way or the other for many more months.
(I hope that was all more clear than mud.)

Are you residenced in California now, semi-permanently?

Last edited by Kefir King; 03-08-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
1099 income is not considered when calculating new state claim eligibility - unless NY determines that the CA employer was fraudulently paying on 1099. In which case, OP would need to apply for benefits from CA. Very unlikely scenario all around.

In OP's situation, there should be no new state claim. NY will continue to pay benefits based on the original claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City