Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:18 AM

70 posts, read 46,208 times

Advertisements

Rich people don't do anything cool. They get to the top and they aren't hungry anymore.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
For the record. Gentrification is not all about the %1 highest earners. Anyone with a stable job with an income greater then the surrounding community, causing waves of revitalization can be considered a gentrifier. Gentrifiers can be of any race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, age, or gender.

High poverty, dense, urban communities are not good for anyone, especially the residents. You need a mixture of incomes. If you really want to combat displacement educate and become an activist in favor of high density development with mixed income requirements. Go to your community planning boards and support dense, pedestrian centric development. The taller the building, the more units, the more poor that can be subsidized.

You tell me which you prefer?

http://www.observer.com/files/2011/09/Via_Verde_03.jpg (broken link)
The Via Verde mixed income housing development on the left. Zero parking spaces included, pedestrian oriented (A number of bus and subway lines within walking distance), solar panels, smoking ban, sun shades, community gardens. The Bronxchester NYCHA development on the right. High percentage of households in poverty, and numerous social issues.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:21 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
via verde has me in awe. i witnessed the greenery coming in by trucks, and the building is amazing. the development itself can reach its maximum potential and sustainability if the management screens, and stays on top of the tenants whom are living, and about to move in. i don't like the fact that it's built directly across the street from a project though. this practically screams from the rooftops the building, development looking the way it is, wont maintain.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:37 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Via Verde is affordable housing done right. This is what NYC needs.

I feel the NYCHA, although good intentioned, causes more harm then good. It's time for the city to:

-Start converting these outdated, horribly maintained, residential structures into mixed income developments. If they are even salvageable. Personally, I would like to see them demolished.
-Increase the density within superblocks by constructing new Green, transit/pedestrian oriented apartment buildings. The demand is there.
-Reestablish the neighborhood street grids.
-Create ground floor retail.

That or continue to pump funds into a failing system that only encourages income isolation and resulting social problems. Gentrification can (and will) save neighborhoods like the South Bronx. History shows us that ghettos do no good for anyone.

http://www.revisionprospectplaza.com/

http://vimeo.com/14392799

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bronx+...49.27,,0,-3.62

(Though I am not a fan of the nearby 90's era ugly townhouses with included driveways. Already eyesores, unnecessary to include driveways. Why not push to sidewalk to maintain neighborhood street wall and enhanced shared public spaces out back.)

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 03-08-2012 at 01:56 AM..

Old 03-08-2012, 05:07 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
^^^^^^^
Great.Thanks for the laugh !

Old 03-08-2012, 05:47 AM

455 posts, read 651,867 times
This thread is lame. I hope a MOD closes it.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:20 AM

155 posts, read 426,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
(Though I am not a fan of the nearby 90's era ugly townhouses with included driveways. Already eyesores, unnecessary to include driveways. Why not push to sidewalk to maintain neighborhood street wall and enhanced shared public spaces out back.)
You referring to the awesome Fedders buildings?

I think gentrification helps stop those.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 AM

357 posts, read 727,678 times
Who the hell wants to live in an apartment building? Especially one with more than 6-8 floors?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeds468 View Post
Rich people don't do anything cool. They get to the top and they aren't hungry anymore.

Discuss.
On the other hand, occasionally it's a good thing when people move into a neighborhood and all of a sudden there are services and conveniences that weren't available before.

By the way, make sure you never do anything that might wind up making you rich...or you know just what kinds of snide things people will be saying about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City