Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 11:39 AM

8 posts, read 62,493 times

Advertisements

Hi can anyone help me iv booked a surprise holiday to new york for my husbands 30th birthday we go next month i did not realise you need a visa if you have a criminal record and i do not have the time to apply for one now the charge he has is assult and he had a weapon he did not do any jail time just a fine, and before that was driving without any road tax this was over 3 years ago will we be sent home if we just go can anyone advise im very upset by all this i had no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 125,788 times
Gerri, where are you coming from?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:48 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times
contact an immigration attorney

Old 09-09-2007, 06:55 PM

314 posts, read 492,196 times
fragomen is one of the best immigration law firms in the city. depending on how much it will cost you to hire them, it might be worth looking into it.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:26 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,364,642 times
I am thinking you are coming from the UK?

Ok in situations like this you can usually schedule an emergency meeting with a person at the American consulate so that they can give you a rushed visa. With the criminal record though I am not certain that they will grant you the visa though. You really need to call up the embassy and ask.

Was this crime a felony or a misdemeanor? I am pretty sure Homeland Security/Customs has some records on their computers from other countries, but if it was just a misdemeanor I doubt it will be an issue. However I would be scared to risk a 7 hour plane ride and then be forced to turn right around.

I would suggest you give the Consulate a call.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:51 PM

8 posts, read 62,493 times
im coming from scotland iv been on the embassy site they say they will not rush anyones visa and it can take over 8 weeks i only have 5 he has been in and out of canada a few times without any probs my husband was charged with assault about 3 years ago and before that driving with out tax the plane tickets are non refundable so im snockered either way.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:43 AM

3 posts, read 125,788 times
Ger, just wondering how you got on?

I never got a chance to reply, but I think mead gave you great advice there. It's what I would have suggested. You can also ask to view your husbands records, which would have been useful when meeting with the American Embassy Contact.

S

Old 11-20-2007, 04:46 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
I don't know if this is true but I had been told they don't seperate crimes in the UK the same way we do in that we use misdemeanor and felony, I heard they do not.

I would imagine with the way things are that his name could be flagged if he trys to travel and they could send him back without letting him out of the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City