Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:44 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
I used to own a home in Qns - and we were NEVER allowed to sit in front of the home we paid taxes on with a lawn chair as if it were a backyard. If an officer sung by and saw you , you'd be issued a ticket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is obnoxious.Most people who move to The Bronx from other boroughs do so because it is much more affordable.

I don't think Vic sold a house anywhere.I think she and her husband and child were living at her parent's house.They needed a place of their own and didn't want to rent.And if I remember correctly,she wasn't thrilled with the neighborhood in Queens.
How is it obnoxious? Maybe too blunt but I will always call a spade a spade.

I've seen this type of behavior going on in certain neighborhoods and it's never in the good ones. That's for sure.

Is it a coincidence that 90% of the time this happens in the hood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 11:58 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
I was referring to your twice pressing Vic on why she moved ,not referring to your opinion on whether a bunch of old jewish ladies sitting outside of a building makes the neighborhood a "hood".

The first time was in post # 14:
"I'm curious as to why you sold your house in Queens (where apparently it was a decent area) to buy a co-op in the ghetto?"

In the above post you make three assumptions,all of which are wrong.

Asking the same rude question the second time is what I was referring to as obnoxious.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I was referring to your twice pressing Vic on why she moved ,not referring to your opinion on whether a bunch of old jewish ladies sitting outside of a building makes the neighborhood a "hood".

"I'm curious as to why you sold your house in Queens (where apparently it was a decent area) to buy a co-op in the ghetto?"

Asking the same rude question the second time is what I was referring to as obnoxious.
Actually, the second time I didn't ask. (hint: no question mark at the end of the sentence), it was more of a rethorical question, as to why people make this kind of decisions.

As for my 'assumptions', it doesn't take an athropologist or sociologist to conect a few dots.
people in this thread have already noticed the same thing.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
Quote:

I agree with you. It's also completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:28 PM
s06

105 posts, read 256,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I think that's a 'hood' thing. I've haven't seen that happening in relatively good neighborhoods.
I've seen adults sitting outside and children playing sports in working-class neighborhoods. No one used drugs or had a gun out.

From another forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
...Oh...one thing I guess I''l ask....is it a cultural thing?...why do certain people sit in their garage with the door open, in folding chairs like they're at the beach? I know their homes don't have a porch or patio. But what's with the sitting in the garage with the door open and radio going, while they're laughing, talking or having a smoke. Either ADD a porch to the house, or do that crap out back. In the garage is just tacky to me. But I've only seen it recently, with certain families...so that's why I'm asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
...Wayyyyyy back in the day, before we all spent our evenings watching TV or surfing the web many people would actually leave their homes in the evening for a little stroll. During that time they would actually chat with their neighbors and find out what's going on in the neighborhood. Some of those neighbors, not having a porch and wanting to see and chat with some people would sit in their garage with the door open, having an after-dinner smoke or beer. Many men of this era enjoyed working on their cars and would keep the garage door open in order to encourage their friends to stop by and chat. The men would gather around the engine compartment, beer in hand and point and nod in agreement with each other while Carl Perkins or Johnny Cash played on the radio.

I suppose 'tacky' is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer a neighborhood where neighbors have their garage doors open and enjoy chatting with each other rather than having neighbors that I barely know because they come home, drive straight into their garage and only ever venture outside in their enclosed yard with the 8 ft high fence. To each their own, but I hardly think sitting in the open garage makes someone trashy or tacky.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:31 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,869 times
Get a group of kids and tell them to have at it with water ballons,stink/smoke bombs. Get someone with a loud car to just blast it right next to them. Doubt any of this will be effective for too long.

Maybe paint a 'Line" for them to sit behind so there is an avenue of egress.

Its a hood/culture thing. In PR, everyone sits outside, often times the tile from inside leads right outside to the patio.

Just ask em for a beer and some of whatever food they have everyday. then get more people to do so. No one like to give away their beer/food.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:50 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post

Just ask em for a beer and some of whatever food they have everyday. then get more people to do so. No one like to give away their beer/food.
Somehow I doubt these old people,mostly old ladies ,sitting outside in the afternoon are out there swilling beer but who knows.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:04 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,869 times
Quote:
Somehow I doubt these old people,mostly old ladies ,sitting outside in the afternoon are out there swilling beer but who knows.
The "papis" when i lived over in Bronx river sure did. And plenty of my "old ladies" in my aunt family could drink me under the table...theres coors light there somewhere lol

Old 03-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
The "papis" when i lived over in Bronx river sure did. And plenty of my "old ladies" in my aunt family could drink me under the table...theres coors light there somewhere lol
lol
I'm sure that on a warm day like today, some of them could definitely use a cold one.

Summer is around the corner, and so are the sidewalk BBQs and free Bachata concerts. lol

Old 03-12-2012, 02:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:

I agree as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City