Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:03 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise View Post
Yes. Not to denigrate Stuyvestant, Bronx Science, or Brooklyn Tech at all, but there are other (public) schools from which one can obtain a good education.
Yup. I actually attended a creative/college prep program located in a rotten high school. And when I say rotten, I mean rotten. It was located in Hell's Kitchen, before disneyfication. Had Decepticons and all your favorite gangs. The school had a graduation rate of less than 50% (though the program I was in had a much higher rate, with a higher percentage of kids going on to college). The program we were in was good, however, and preached college readiness. You were expected to take all Regents classes. I was accepted at NYU and Bucknell, other classmates of mine were accepted at SUNY Binghamton, Rennsalaer, Colgate, etc. The moral of the story is that I didn't attend a specialized school but I received a great education. And while I didn't go to Harvard, I did get into a good second tier school. On a partial scholarship that wasn't based on ethnicity. Entering NYU as a freshman, I found myself surrounded by incoming kids from private schools, specialized schools, and regular public schools like my own. At that point, it didn't matter what school you hailed from..you were a freshman newb and largely no one cared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:12 PM

268 posts, read 340,505 times
(Yawn) Oh boy...

Old 08-26-2013, 01:29 PM

259 posts, read 368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You were expected to take all Regents classes.
Did you get a NYS Regents diploma?

Quote:
I was accepted at NYU and Bucknell, other classmates of mine were accepted at SUNY Binghamton, Rennsalaer, Colgate, etc. The moral of the story is that I didn't attend a specialized school but I received a great education. And while I didn't go to Harvard, I did get into a good second tier school. On a partial scholarship that wasn't based on ethnicity.
Was the financial aid from the institition or was it from an outside source? Just curious.

Quote:
Entering NYU as a freshman, I found myself surrounded by incoming kids from private schools, specialized schools, and regular public schools like my own. At that point, it didn't matter what school you hailed from..you were a freshman newb and largely no one cared.
How many of your classmates though were from the city (or even this metropolitan area)?

Old 08-26-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere in Time View Post
(Yawn) Oh boy...
Kindly **** off, Grosvenor. You're akin to a chihuahua or some other ankle biter. Never threatening, despite what it thinks.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise View Post
Did you get a NYS Regents diploma?

Yup..all those exams, and it ended up being a gold sticker that probably cost 99 cents.

Was the financial aid from the institition or was it from an outside source? Just curious.

The partial scholarship came from the institution, renewable yearly so long as the GPA remained good. The rest was from student loans, work study, parental contributions. You had to submit a portfolio when you applied to the school, and the scholarship was awarded to me based on my portfolio evaluation.

How many of your classmates though were from the city (or even this metropolitan area)?

We're talking almost 20 years ago, but I remember someone coming from Fordham Prep, another from Bronx Science. Most of the people in my class seemed to be largely from outside of the city, and many out of state. I found that surprising back then, given the name of the school. Most people lived in dorms and around the area (East Village, West Village, etc.) I was one of the few who commuted every day. That sucked and contributed to me not really appreciating the experience of attending the school.
in bold.

Last edited by riaelise; 08-26-2013 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: fix formatting

Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 AM

95 posts, read 94,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Among the three, is there an ordrr of rank based on merit score, or is it all based on one's preference of which school of the three to attend? It seems like that more black students prefer Tech.
Brooklyn Tech is bigger and easier to get in.

Specialized High School SHSAT Cutoff Scores

Stuyvesant 562
Bronx Science 513
Brooklyn Latin 471
Brooklyn Technical 483
HSMSE @ CCNY 498
HSAS @ Lehman 501
Queens Science @ York College 500
Staten Island Tech 503

Stuyvesant 562
Bronx Science 512
Brooklyn Latin 472
Brooklyn Technical 482
HSMSE @ CCNY 495
HSAS @ Lehman 502
Queens Science @ York College ?
Staten Island Tech 499

Stuyvesant 567
Bronx Science 518
Brooklyn Latin 477
Brooklyn Technical 487
HSMSE @ CCNY 498
HSAS @ Lehman 508
Queens Science @ York College 502
Staten Island Tech 485

Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 AM

259 posts, read 368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good at Math View Post
Brooklyn Tech is bigger and easier to get in.
Yes, Tech is huge.

It has rigorous academics and highly motivated students.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 AM

95 posts, read 94,537 times
Brooklyn Tech's size is like an army division.

For more info, http://gothamschools.org/2013/03/15/fewer-black-and-hispanic-students-admitted-to-top-high-schools/

Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere in Time View Post
(Yawn) Oh boy...
What's your educational background?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 AM

268 posts, read 340,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What's your educational background?
I went to a private university, but I don't need to brag about it like some people because quite frankly, no one gives a flying ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City