U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:06 PM

1,308 posts, read 1,314,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Your friend apparently doesn't know that drivers are required to yield to pedestrians according to the NYS VTL at all times, cops or not. Speeding up when people are crossing your path... this okay, where?
If that's against the law, why isn't they ticket him or it? Maybe because they were jaywalking?

I jaywalk all the time but I don't expect cars to yield to me in the middle of the road.

They're clowns who obviously had nothing better to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,348,863 times
Flushing-So like I said, you need to grow up, instead of flashing your close minded ignorance. Your arguments look weaker than my knees when I'm busting a nut.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 AM

3,788 posts, read 2,119,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
If that's against the law, why isn't they ticket him or it? Maybe because they were jaywalking?

I jaywalk all the time but I don't expect cars to yield to me in the middle of the road.

There's that word "obviously" again... It's interesting when people throw that word around knowing full well that they have no idea what was going on and are just assuming. The shame of it is that the majority of the time when words like "obviously" are used, they are thrown around randomly.

Answer me this: in your mind, you're telling us that you see absolutely no probability that they may have been crossing the street to answer a call? Or maybe they were footpost cops who were sent to check out cars on the block or were walking to the next avenue to answer a call? None of this is even remotely possible correct? Because they were "obviously" doing nothing but crossing the street to see if your friend would give them the chance to harass him.

If any of what I mentioned above is even a remote possibility in your head, then you should realize that using the word "obviously" just makes you seem like a person who responds emotionally when confronted with a decision making point, rather than analyzing information to arrive at possibilities. Without all of the relevant information, one can only determine possibilities.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:17 PM

102 posts, read 150,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
You are likely either very young, very old, white, or homebound.
White yes.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:23 PM

102 posts, read 150,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

I expect car to yield, even when I'm jaywalking. I sure don't expect them to speed up and try to run me over.

I also yield when people are in the middle of the street. I don't press on the gas pedal, trying to win.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_queens_111 View Post
White yes.
I'm white too, but also depends how you look like. I used to be harassed solely because of how I dressed.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 PM

2,190 posts, read 1,782,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post

The overwhelming majority of them dont live in the same communities they police, let alone the same county/borough and they dont have any devotion, investments or ties to the community other than being there for 8 hours or so.

They dont prevent crime, AT ALL. It is IMPOSSIBLE to PREVENT crime for the simple fact that a crime isnt a crime until a law is broken which means that the crime has already occurred.
Before I can even get into how many ways I could prove you wrong on every post you ever made about the NYPD, I will only go on about the point I bolded above.

If you had ANY clue about how the NYPD works, as opposed to just some biased opinion, you would know that they are NOT ALLOWED to work in the same precinct they live in. There is a good reason for this. Main one being so that they don't end up having to deal with possible conflicts with people they know. If you find your neighbor or family member in trouble, you would be hesitant to arrest them. Not to mention, before they graduate the academy, they have to choose 3 areas they want to work in. The higher ups then decides where they go. They only choose themselves when they have enough tenure. Or if they go into IAB.

Try knowing the facts for once instead of believing the hyped up media. If you think everything you read on the internet and the newspapers is true, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 PM

Good point, and I will also add that most of them DO live in the communities they police. Like Miss said, they don't live in the precinct they work in for the above reasons, but they usually live within the same borough.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:04 PM

400 posts, read 496,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Before I can even get into how many ways I could prove you wrong on every post you ever made about the NYPD, I will only go on about the point I bolded above.

If you had ANY clue about how the NYPD works, as opposed to just some biased opinion
So almighty oracle of the NYPD who
Quote:
"could prove me wrong on every post ive ever made about the NYPD"
. Tell me, how did Officer Richard Haste, who fatally shot an unarmed teen named Ramarley Graham in the bathroom of his Bronx home earlier this year, get assigned to the NYPD’s 36 Street Narcotics Enforcement Units yet he has NO narcotics training?

By the way, send that bridge to me as soon as possible.

My address is

101 Saint Nicholas Drive
North Pole, AK 99705

Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 PM

2,190 posts, read 1,782,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
So almighty oracle of the NYPD who . Tell me, how did Officer Richard Haste, who fatally shot an unarmed teen named Ramarley Graham in the bathroom of his Bronx home earlier this year, get assigned to the NYPD’s 36 Street Narcotics Enforcement Units yet he has NO narcotics training?

By the way, send that bridge to me as soon as possible.

My address is

101 Saint Nicholas Drive
North Pole, AK 99705
Simple.

Narcotics is a division within the NYPD. If you do well enough (or do your 2 years in IAB) then you can pretty much pick and choose what division you go into. There are cops in the media division that have never been in media or have a background in it. It's a division, nothing more. Now if he was working for the DEA, that's a different story.

And yes, I proved my point on the not being able to work and live in the same area argument, because your ignorance was showing on the issue. Don't try to tout things as fact when you clearly don't even know about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City