Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 03:25 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times

Advertisements

New York's appeal is apparant by all the businesses that are headquartered there, it's nightlife, its architecture, it's being located on both a great river and the ocean, the statue of liberty, its food, its people, while they are stereotyped as being rude are normally very polite and I've found even humorous people...nearly everything about New York makes it appealing. New York is just a magnificent city in every shape and form. I think a lot of the bad rap New York gets comes from it being the central headquarters of the Mafia in the United States. Whenever I catch a glimpse of New York, I just think about it for the rest of the day. New York has been glamorized in countless movies, the vast majority of famous people in the United States came from New York...I could give 100 different reason if I had time to to describe why it's such a great city. but Futurecop since he lives there could do a better job of it than me...i was only there one time for a Yankees game with my friend from Upstate New York, unfortunately we had no time to hang out there. New York is a city with character, attitude, and culture...it is very colorful to the point that it makes most of the other cities in America seem gray. my very favorite image of New York that continues to bring tears to my eyes are pictures of New York during the opening theme of The Sopranos, in which you see photos of the George Washington Bridge and I-95, I-278, and the World Trade Center standing tall and proud. New York will be a very proud city with the new World Trade Center erected.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:28 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
I have such great memories of the WTC, Im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sad they are gone and I hate watching videos of it collapsing - you're watching almost 3000 people lose there lives in about 10 seconds
we were called home too in the DC area without being told, futurecop

Old 09-11-2007, 03:35 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I have such great memories of the WTC, Im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sad they are gone and I hate watching videos of it collapsing - you're watching almost 3000 people lose there lives in about 10 seconds
we were called home too in the DC area without being told, futurecop
To me 9/11 was far worse than a lot of people losing their lives. It was the destruction of two of the world's most significant landmarks in history, and it was also the destruction of my favorite machines...giant commercial jetliners ruthlessly disposed of for no reason. THe only thing worse than a plane crash is a purposeful plane crash. The 3,000 people that died was bad enough in itself though...9/11 to me is undoubtedly in the top two greatest tragedies in history. Completely unprovoked, and an act commited by cowards. And we still have not brought the main man behind it to justice exactly six years later. I never could have imagined it taking this long to bring a single man to justice.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:56 PM

86 posts, read 499,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Also, New York is so crowded and hard to get around in. I would never drive in that city. You just can't. Its like a maze. And everyone is always shouting about something. Its very over priced and the people are rude.
Manhattan is a shining example of how layout a organized city. You have to be a moron to get lost in Manhattan above Canal street once the grid starts. 1st street to 218th street, North to South. Not that difficult.

And you dont have to drive because it has THE BEST PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION IN THE COUNTRY!

Quote:
New York is hardly that great. The only claim to fame was Broadway- and even that is corny and old hat. Nobody goes to see shows there anymore. For music Nashville and L.A. are where its at.
Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by Keeper; 09-12-2007 at 07:22 AM..

Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Seriously, Vasgina or whatever his/her name is really ignorant. He/ she hates the north and thinks broadways the only famous thing in NY!!!!!! What a smarty pants!
I DO NOT hate the North. I'm talking about New York. I just don't find it appealing.

Why do people think its skyline is beautiful? To me its just a big old ugly buildings that are too big.

I have nothing against New Yorkers, and I have met some very nice ones. But the city itself lacks visual and cultural appeal.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:11 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I think vasinger's just mad that he lives in a Northern city.
I don't live in a Northern city. I'm from Richmond.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
No, I think I'm right on this. No one goes to New York anymore to make it in Show Biz. Its 'ol hat. For musicians its Nashville or L.A. or even D.C.
Maybe if you want to make it in Country music or Pop Music... theres also Rock, Hip-hop (born in the bronx), and Punk and New York has the best underground scenes in this. Its simultaneously very important to the mainstream. TRL, MTV headquarters etc.

And what about classical music? Does LA or Nashville have this?

http://www.knoxalliance.com/CalendarAdmin/images/usa_nyc_metropolitanopera_63.jpg (broken link)

Thats the Metropolitan Opera House at Lincoln Center, and they dont have it.

Quote:
If only New York had something appealing about it- like nice architecture. I guess I'm spoiled living in Richmond.
Oh right, Richmond and its awesome architecture... your being a clown again.

show me something in Richmond better than this:

Last edited by BobbyDigital85; 09-11-2007 at 06:25 PM..

Old 09-11-2007, 06:31 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
why was this thread moved? i mean, i know the General US forum is just about southern states and cities and all but the OP was not asking this question just to NY'ers.

Can the Richmond thread be moved to the Richmond forum then?

mods???

Old 09-11-2007, 06:39 PM

uhhhh why was this moved from the US forum

Old 09-11-2007, 06:42 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
To me 9/11 was far worse than a lot of people losing their lives. It was the destruction of two of the world's most significant landmarks in history, and it was also the destruction of my favorite machines...giant commercial jetliners ruthlessly disposed of for no reason. THe only thing worse than a plane crash is a purposeful plane crash. The 3,000 people that died was bad enough in itself though...9/11 to me is undoubtedly in the top two greatest tragedies in history. Completely unprovoked, and an act commited by cowards. And we still have not brought the main man behind it to justice exactly six years later. I never could have imagined it taking this long to bring a single man to justice.
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but thats shalow imo. you don't care about the lives lost, you care about the planes and the buildings themselves, which is low, im not gonna lie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City