Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:48 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,515,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Wow!! If you have any questions maybe I can help. This is sort of an area of expertise of mine, and not by choice i feel bad for the kids in this city who have parents who have to work two jobs or don't speak English, because navigating the school system is time consuming and very complicated and many school counselors are overburdened.

I sometimes feel that the horrendous HS graduation rate in the city (60% or so) could be improved just by involving the parents more, whether that means foreign-language outreach, and recognizing the significant importance of counselor positions and funding them appropriately etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,821,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Thats incorrect - in NYC you are zoned for elementary schools, no competition. And the top-scoring school in Brooklyn, for example, is in Greenpoint, not an affluent area like Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights.
Read this:

The Tribeca Trib - Waitlisted Tribeca Parents Angry Over Chinatown School Assignment (http://www.tribecatrib.com/news/2011/may/1017_on-wait-list-for-ps-234-tribeca-parents-angry-over-assignments-to-chinatown.html - broken link)

Next time, just make sure what you say is correct before you post and we won't waste bandwith.

Quote:
As for the "regular" middle schools competing with the top schools in Westchester - you're talking out your youknowhat
You are out of touch. Academics-wise, IS 276, IS 187 and PS 122 are examples of NYC schools that can hold their own aganst Westchester's best.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,338,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Wow!! If you have any questions maybe I can help. This is sort of an area of expertise of mine, and not by choice i feel bad for the kids in this city who have parents who have to work two jobs or don't speak English, because navigating the school system is time consuming and very complicated and many school counselors are overburdened.
That is the group that I am doing advocacy for. The people who don't know anything about the process, find it difficult to navigate because of the bureaucracy and a general feeling that administrators don't care. It's sad and part of what I attribute to the concentration of selective programs in some neighborhoods and not others. People need to learn to advocate for themselves on this. I am trying to help them learn.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:18 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,854,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
That is the group that I am doing advocacy for. The people who don't know anything about the process, find it difficult to navigate because of the bureaucracy and a general feeling that administrators don't care. It's sad and part of what I attribute to the concentration of selective programs in some neighborhoods and not others. People need to learn to advocate for themselves on this. I am trying to help them learn.
If you haven't already, check out insideschools.org. I have learned a lot from reading reviews. You can also see videos that explain the process. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Read this:

The Tribeca Trib - Waitlisted Tribeca Parents Angry Over Chinatown School Assignment (http://www.tribecatrib.com/news/2011/may/1017_on-wait-list-for-ps-234-tribeca-parents-angry-over-assignments-to-chinatown.html - broken link)

Next time, just make sure what you say is correct before you post and we won't waste bandwith.

You are out of touch. Academics-wise, IS 276, IS 187 and PS 122 are examples of NYC schools that can hold their own aganst Westchester's best.

FHD, always so pissy. I have no idea why. This thread has nothing to do with the Catholic chruch, so be christian please.
Anyway, as you can see from your own article, for elementary you are zoned, not competing in tests. If the schools full up thats a problem, as someone else has pointed out, and a problem that will get worse. Secondly, again, "regular" NYC middle schools against "top" westchester schools no comparison. Why don't you tell us the sky is green also.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
FHD, always so pissy. I have no idea why. This thread has nothing to do with the Catholic chruch, so be christian please.
Anyway, as you can see from your own article, for elementary you are zoned, not competing in tests. If the schools full up thats a problem, as someone else has pointed out, and a problem that will get worse.
Are you OK? Competition takes all kinds, not just tests. First come first serve is a form of competition. Selecting students based on demographics is a form of competition. Any kind of prioritization of one person over another is a form of competiton - you are all competing for scarce resources.

Your first 3 sentences prove that you know you will lose this argument.

As Eleanor Roosevelt quipped - "Use your head."

Quote:
Secondly, again, "regular" NYC middle schools against "top" westchester schools no comparison. Why don't you tell us the sky is green also.
I've supported my point with specific examples. How about you?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:38 AM
bg7

Yea, its about winning the argument rather than being correct isn't it?

Lets look at your examples, IS 187 - according to school digger the 3rd best middle school in the the STATE. Yea, thats a good ol "regular" NYC middle school - your position is more than convincing.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 AM
bg7

As you said: "and admissions are crazily competitive that they might as well be specialized schools"

Yea, thats what you meant then, and now its morphed into a philosophical expansion on the meaning of "competitive", we're all competing for resources after all...
Rage always bubbling just under there.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Yea, its about winning the argument rather than being correct isn't it?

Lets look at your examples, IS 187 - according to school digger the 3rd best middle school in the the STATE. Yea, thats a good ol "regular" NYC middle school - your position is more than convincing.
Uhmm...but I am correct. I'm right about getting into good NYC middle schools is a competitive excercise for the most part. Prove me otherwise.

Obviously you didn't understand why I used quote marks when I said "regular", nor did I say that all regular schools in NYC are as good as Westchester's. Let's put it this way - IS 187 is not a specialized middle school unlike, say, Marie Curie. Now do you get it?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 AM
bg7

"Uhmm...but I am correct. I'm right about getting into good NYC middle schools is a competitive excercise for the most part. Prove me otherwise."

I'm not going to prove you otherwise, middle school entry is competition. Elementary schools aren't, one is zoned for them. Should I send a carrier pigeon with the message again? "Middle not equal elementary"

"Obviously you didn't understand why I used quote marks when I said "regular", nor did I say that all regular schools in NYC are as good as Westchester's. Let's put it this way - IS 187 is not a specialized middle school unlike, say, Marie Curie. Now do you get it"

Oh, I see , like your protean definition of "competitive"? Like Gimme said above - compare reg. with reg. and top with top.

I'll let you have the last word on this, I can only imagine how important that must be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City