U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:41 PM

400 posts, read 479,844 times
Default Do kids/young people play outside anymore?

When I had just got out of high school kids/youth didnt all have cell phones and internet gadgets etc? Seems like they all do now and no one is actually playing normal NY games.

Someone tell me the last time you saw kids playing help tag/manhunt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 05:45 PM

641 posts, read 573,937 times
Kids these days rarely play outside it seems like after my generation(I'm 21) turned like 16 all the younger kids stopped playing outside and are obsessed with video games, phones, and the computer. My two younger sisters who just turned 12 never really play outside and neither do most of my younger cousins or any of the kids in the neighborhood.

From my experience all the kids really wanna act like teenagers a lot faster than me and my peers did when we were that age.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:17 PM

8 posts, read 6,497 times
Basketball is as popular as ever.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:02 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,266,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible467 View Post
Basketball is as popular as ever.
Where?

When I was in my teens (12-16; 26 now) we used to stay out in the park all day during the summer breaks. From about 10 to 6/7. You just don't see that anymore from kids.

The internet plus online gaming is the most likely cause. That's also why the kids suck now.

It's mostly the adults who spend all day at the park on weekends playing ball.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:13 PM

2,750 posts, read 3,256,795 times
I think it just hits everyone when they start getting older that they feel as if the new generation doesn't do things the way the old generation did it... And while I'm sure there is definitely some truth to that, fact is invisible467 is right... Where I live at in Ridgewood from 10am to 11pm its impossible to get a court by me or any other park by me...

And as soon as we get a nice day even during the winter you see all types of kids and people of all different ages hanging out on the stoops or if they have a grill you'll see them grilling on the street... I still see the kids riding their scooters and bikes and when they have off you'll see block parties or the streets themselves filled with kids cause they're playing football or baseball... I'm sure that not every neighborhood is the same way but from I can see most of the working/working middle class neighborhoods still have the same activity during nice days as they've always had...

Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 PM

2,970 posts, read 3,567,383 times
On my old block in Ridgewood I always see kids playing outside, especially during the summer. They even have the occasional block party sometimes.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 PM

641 posts, read 573,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Where?

When I was in my teens (12-16; 26 now) we used to stay out in the park all day during the summer breaks. From about 10 to 6/7. You just don't see that anymore from kids.

The internet plus online gaming is the most likely cause. That's also why the kids suck now.

It's mostly the adults who spend all day at the park on weekends playing ball.
Yea whenever I go to the park it's usually mothers and their really little children at the jungle gyms and adults to kids in their late teens playing ball.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:24 PM

140 posts, read 107,907 times
I see kids of all ages out and about on the playground playing basketball, playing board games, riding swings and generally just hanging out in most if not all the parks whenever I visit my mom out in Queens. The parks by her are usually packed esp. now that the weather is nice and the kids there are playing from mid-afternoon to the evening hours.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,901,318 times
Many of the playgrounds/courts and fields in the city are absolutely packed in good weather. However, I think there's much less street play than there used to be. Kids are more supervised now, so for many kids, the amount of time they spend outdoors is proportional to the amount of time their moms/dads are willing to sit there with them.

In good weather, my daughter likes to play on the sidewalk with a friend, riding their bikes and scooters (she's 8), but I definately don't feel comfortable having her outside without me, so I find myself encouraging her to come inside earlier than she would prefer.

When we moved to Bedford Park 8 years ago, there was a regular baseball game on the corner every weekend and tons of kids playing in the streets in good weather. The neighborhood has gotten progressively quieter - the baseball games petered out a couple of years ago, and you just don't see nearly so that many kids playing on the streets anymore.

I have a friend in Bedford/Katonah (Westchester) who puts her children in full-time programs in the summer even though she's a stay at home mom. She says that everyone schedules their kids so much so no one is available to play with her kids in an unstructured way. Playgrounds tend to be empty as well there - probably the case in many suburbs.

I don't think the trend towards greater supervision of kids is a bad thing by the way -- most of the unsupervised kids I see tend to be little sh**s. They really should have some adults watching them.

Last edited by yodel; 03-16-2012 at 05:57 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 01:21 PM

409 posts, read 229,282 times
Do the kids today still play handball?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City