Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 6,799 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone just a quick question for you!

I'm considering 2 areas to move to with the notion of working at the WTC. The 2 neighborhoods im considering are Inwood (manhattan), Bay Ridge (brooklyn). Keep in mind the work I do is on a shift schedule (ie: 4pm-12am, 12am-8am,8am-4pm)

Now, out of the places listed, which area would be most suitable for an easy commute to WTC using all those shifts mentioned above. I know the demographics of each area so just the commuting advice is generally wanted here. I appreciate all the feedback thanks!

Last edited by NYCBound0; 03-16-2012 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 01:34 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
I would go for Bay Ridge hands down.
The commute is not bad at all, but since you work odd schedules, it might be a bit slower late at night.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:35 PM

The thing im looking at, is the neighborhood of bay ridge nice enough to sacrafice the extra commute? Or is it not much of a difference?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:41 PM

93 posts, read 194,268 times
bay ridge close w wtc take r train and woodlawn 2 far. my grandma lives in inwood its hood

Old 03-16-2012, 01:42 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
If you know the address or zip code, you can use Google maps to get an estimate of your traveling time. In Bay ridge it's gonna depend how close you are to 4 Ave, where the R runs along.
In terms of the neighborhoods being nice, I think Bay ridge is much nicer/safer than Inwood.
however if commute is your main concern, have you considered Jersey City?

Last edited by likeminas; 03-16-2012 at 02:07 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 01:49 PM

I just did that google maps thing and its almost identical commute times. almost a no brainer now

Old 03-16-2012, 01:59 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
At least in Inwood, the only real commuting hassle will be coming back from the WTC on the nights when your shift ends at midnight. After that, the A runs local all the way up to 168th st, which will slow your commute home. Of course going to work you'll have to leave before midnight so the A will still run express, as it always does except during late night hours.

Depending on where you are in Inwood you might also use the 1 train, connecting to/from express 2 and 3 service at 96th street. The 1 is always a local north of 96th st, but my guess is that it runs a bit more frequently late nights than the A.

Either way it will be a schlep. Not undoable by any means. People commute farther, regularly. And its worth it if you like your place. But traveling the length of Manhattan does take time. Make sure you bring a good book to read.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:06 PM

Seems as though Bay Ridge has a shorter commute time. Not by an extreme amount but comparing the 2 neighborhoods, bay ridge does seem like the better fit

Old 03-16-2012, 02:13 PM

127 posts, read 236,174 times
Even if BR and inwood had the exact same commute time i personally would choose BR. Just seems more appealing than uptown. Idk much about the nightlife in BR but you can still get a nice apt there around nice people in a nice neighborhood! I believe north of 77th street or somethin theres a heavy arab population, not positive on the exact location maybe someone can clarify. Overall i would choose bay ridge

Old 03-16-2012, 03:33 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
If you know the address or zip code, you can use Google maps to get an estimate of your traveling time. In Bay ridge it's gonna depend how close you are to 4 Ave, where the R runs along.
In terms of the neighborhoods being nice, I think Bay ridge is much nicer/safer than Inwood.
however if commute is your main concern, have you considered Jersey City?
Just realize it is an estimate!

Any estimate of that sort can not account for the vagaries of the subway, whether the line is so crowded 3 trains pass before you can get on, walking distance, nor the basic issues of just trying to get around NYC.

Both the N/R have, and cotinue to become, increasingly crowded, and some stations are overcrowded to the point safety is an issue during rush hour.

OP, the major issue with your shift w/b late nights. After 10pm the subway can be a nightmare, as a result of decreased service along wth various track/station maintenance and cash collection which all takes place at night and lasting overnight.

Further reason why the estimate isn't real.

I agree, if Newport or Hoboken are within your budget each are a better commute. Both Bay Ridge and Inwood are distant, though rents can be affordable. Bay Ridge is preferable for a white Transplant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City