Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,607,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
True indeed. Renting couches even is not unheard of. Or the ad for females to "live rent free" with "light housework"..Yeah, Ok dude!!!
LMAO

Yeah I remember seeing one on CL that stated free rent for someone willing to be a submissive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,120,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
LMAO

Yeah I remember seeing one on CL that stated free rent for someone willing to be a submissive.
Not surprising, People using their dark desires against the needs of someone looking for a place to live. The old-school methods mentioned by some other OP's is sound advice. Found ALL the places i have lived this way. All worked out. One was a basement apartment that I stayed for a year in, But the LL above me was great and I still talk to him and his family years after I left.
There was no credit check despite me having been in good standing. Only verification of employment. Worked out for me.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:32 PM

Thought I would throw here an update.

I am happy to report I moved a month ago (thus my absence from the boards as I started a new job the same week) and found the apartment through the local newspapers. (You know, the neighborhood newspapers) as opposed to online. My landlord said she doesn't even have a computer, so she relies on the newspapers to place ads.

Everyone who has seen my apt (large modern 1 BR) has said it's a steal on what I'm paying in rent. (Let's just say it's dirt cheap). She even dropped the rent $50 because she liked me so much. The compromise? It's an hour commute into the city. But the neighborhood is safe, and I have access to 3 trains. Funny thing is one realtor I spoke to said there was no way I could find a decent apt with a bankruptcy, and yet I was able to see 4 really nice apts in one day through 2 other brokers. And all of the apartments were under $1100.

So yes, it is possible to find an apartment. I found the listings on Craigslist to be crap. Most people never got back to me, or they were outright scam artists.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:45 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,782,632 times
Not sure what to think of this thread. I am a landlord and right now I have had nothing but terrible luck in finding a DECENT, QUALITY tenant. I am offering a decent 1 bedroom in Queens and my ad is plastered over on Craigslist, Sublet.com/eRental and some other online places that don't require a fee to post or are used only by brokers.

In the past 3 weeks, I have had:

- 3 tenants who didn't even show up at the designated appointment time (and left me standing outside the apt looking like a complete idiot)
- 2 tenants that initially sent me passive-aggressive TEXT MESSAGES to my phone asking the rent price (which was already in the ad) and then never bothered to call to actually have a detailed conversation
- 2 tenants who admitted to criminal histories
-1 tenant who said she didn't believe in background checks and that her prior landord reference "should be enough"...
- 1 tenant couple in their early 20s who saw the unit and the first thing they demanded was painting the walls, and removing the wall to wall carpeting (not allowed by my condo board).
- 1 tenant who called me and asked me 30 questions about the apt/neighborhood for about 20 minutes , only to tell me that "oh you can only show it on (day) between 6 and 10 PM this week? Oh thats no good. Bye."
- another prospective tenant asking if I would "hold" the apartment for them until July 25th

And the list goes on and on.

My ad is complete with pictures and a complete description. Its been on the market for 2 months now, and the above is what I have been getting.
I dont know why its so difficult to find a quality tenant. The only reason I have to replace my current tenant is because she is moving for a new job outside the region.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Not sure what to think of this thread. I am a landlord and right now I have had nothing but terrible luck in finding a DECENT, QUALITY tenant. I am offering a decent 1 bedroom in Queens and my ad is plastered over on Craigslist, Sublet.com/eRental and some other online places that don't require a fee to post or are used only by brokers.

- 3 tenants who didn't even show up at the designated appointment time (and left me standing outside the apt looking like a complete idiot)
- 2 tenants that initially texted me for the price (which was already in the ad) and then never bothered to call to actually have a detailed conversation
- 1 tenant couple in their early 20s who saw the unit and the first thing they demanded was painting the walls, and removing the wall to wall carpeting (not allowed by my condo board).
- 1 tenant who called me and asked me 30 questions for about 20 minutes about the apartment, only to tell me that "oh you can only show it on (day) between 6 and 10 PM this week? Oh thats no good. Bye."
- another prospective tenant asking if I would "hold" the apartment for them until July 25th

My ad is complete with pictures and a complete description. Its been on the market for 2 months now, and the above is what I have been getting.
I dont know why its so difficult to find a quality tenant. The only reason I have to replace my current tenant is because she is moving for a new job outside the region.
This happens also. One of my old landlords lets me know when one of the apartments she has is available, because she keeps getting tenants who don't adhere to the lease or are troublemakers. I've heard plenty of horror stories on the other end as well. My current apartment was vacant for 4 months before I took it because my landlord had a hard time finding someone she liked. My brother is a landlord, and had to go to court to have a tenant evicted after stiffing him for 3 months rent at $1500 a pop.

I don't envy landlords in what they have to deal with in horrible tenants, however, there are also plenty of slumords out there as well with good tenants. It goes both ways. The magic is for both to find the good ones out there. Which is proving difficult as you already know.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:10 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,721,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post

- 2 tenants that initially sent me passive-aggressive TEXT MESSAGES to my phone asking the rent price (which was already in the ad) and then never bothered to call to actually have a detailed conversation
-1 tenant who said she didn't believe in background checks and that her prior landord reference "should be enough"...
- 1 tenant who called me and asked me 30 questions about the apt/neighborhood for about 20 minutes , only to tell me that "oh you can only show it on (day) between 6 and 10 PM this week? Oh thats no good. Bye."

where at in queens? looking for a move in around july 1st

Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,782,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
where at in queens? looking for a move in around july 1st
Check your private messages..I just sent you info.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 6,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I am now suspicious of ads that use a Google voice number.
How would you know if they are google voice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
True indeed. Renting couches even is not unheard of. Or the ad for females to "live rent free" with "light housework"..Yeah, Ok dude!!!
That's what AirBnB is for. The renting couches at least. It's actually pretty useful, used it a couple times myself. Saves a ton of money as a college student.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:08 PM

555 posts, read 1,183,105 times
I am sorry as someone who has gone through the process of apartment hunting, I really think people make to much of it. If you have kids...OK THEN I CAN SEE IT. but if you are moving here as a couple or single and NO kids...I dont know, you guys are thinking way to much into it.

You show up, you show proof of income or a decent savings account, ok credit, not a chomo or other felon, be dressed some what decent, and have the payment for first and deposit..and done and done.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
I am sorry as someone who has gone through the process of apartment hunting, I really think people make to much of it. If you have kids...OK THEN I CAN SEE IT. but if you are moving here as a couple or single and NO kids...I dont know, you guys are thinking way to much into it.

You show up, you show proof of income or a decent savings account, ok credit, not a chomo or other felon, be dressed some what decent, and have the payment for first and deposit..and done and done.
I'm single, no kids, no pets, had a years worth of salary to show from the same company, had $7500 in savings, clean criminal record and decent credit considering I had filed Chapter 7 (above 600), came in work clothes and was ready to write a check. And I STILL had problems. Granted, they were short lived, because in 1 day and 2 brokers I found something, but not everyone is so lucky.

As for how do you know it's a Google Voice number, if the person doesn't pick up, the voice mail announces it's a Google Voice number. To me, that means you are hiding your number, which means you have something to hide. I used to have one that I would use for placing CL ads or dating sites for this very purpose, because if the people answering turn out to be a loon, at least they don't have my real number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City