Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:16 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
I think the area is fine. I really like it. I'm in the area a lot during the summer because of Bush Park which is a few blocks away from the 61st train station. Never had ANY problems in the area, I've seen a few bars like a block away from the train station. Seen an irish pub like a block away.

I actually wonder why more people don't move to these type of areas (Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights). They're all pretty nice and certainly much better than some of the areas people are moving to in Brooklyn.
I agree. I personally prefer Sunnyside over Woodside but that's just me. I think the main reason why is because so many immigrants live in these communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:22 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I agree. I personally prefer Sunnyside over Woodside but that's just me. I think the main reason why is because so many immigrants live in these communities.
I find it very similar to my neighborhood of Sunset Park which is mostly asian/latino immigrants. The crime isn't high and it reminds me of those neighborhoods. (Altho in terms of aesthetics, these neighborhoods blow sunset park out of the water. Sunset Park is pretty ugly.)

People have caught on and are moving in quickly to Sunset Park. Just 5 years ago you would rarely see a white person walking down 5th avenue. 10 years ago, forget about it. Nowadays you walk down 5th avenue and you will see at least 2. This is probably gonna happen soon to these neighborhoods.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:50 AM

175 posts, read 422,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
I find it very similar to my neighborhood of Sunset Park which is mostly asian/latino immigrants. The crime isn't high and it reminds me of those neighborhoods. (Altho in terms of aesthetics, these neighborhoods blow sunset park out of the water. Sunset Park is pretty ugly.)

People have caught on and are moving in quickly to Sunset Park. Just 5 years ago you would rarely see a white person walking down 5th avenue. 10 years ago, forget about it. Nowadays you walk down 5th avenue and you will see at least 2. This is probably gonna happen soon to these neighborhoods.
I think there'll be a small but steady flow of transplants moving to Sunnyside, Woodside, etc., but they're not going to blow up quickly like Brooklyn neighborhoods do.

The reason Sunset Park (and Prospect Heights, etc.) are gentrifying is that they're close to fully gentrified neighborhoods like Park Slope where there are art galleries, live music venues, organic markets etc. At this point "Brooklyn" is a brand name for a certain kind of urban hipster/yuppie experience, so people are willing to pay high prices and live in sketchier areas for the privilege of being close to that scene. Queens isn't going to get that kind of attention.

On the other hand, for ordinary working transplants looking for safe, affordable neighborhoods with an easy commute, Queens along the 7 train is a smart choice. (I'm one of them -- before I ended up getting a great deal in Astoria I was planning on moving to Sunnyside or Jackson Heights.) So I think it's a safe bet that there will be a slow movement of transplants to those areas, but not the sort of sudden rapid gentrification that you're seeing in Sunset Park.

To the OP, you should be fine in Woodside, especially as you get closer to Queens Boulevard. The neighborhood is majority Latino and Asian, but it's kept some of its Irish character compared to other neighborhoods in Queens, especially in the area around the train station. There are maybe half a dozen Irish pubs within a few blocks of it that seem to have a mostly native Irish clientele. (Be sure to go to Donovan's for their burger... the "#1 Rated Burger" banner on the outside doesn't lie.)

Old 03-23-2012, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,874 times
Thanks for all the responses I appreciate it. As far as sunnyside goes, what areas are desired? Are the rents similar in woodside/sunnyside? Living amongst other races doesnt bother me as long as they don't have a problem with me. What are the boundaries of woodside exactly? Are there areas to avoid? stay west of this street or east of this street etc etc.

Thanks again

Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 PM

127 posts, read 236,280 times
What are the rents like in sunny/woodside?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicLad View Post
Thanks for all the responses I appreciate it. As far as sunnyside goes, what areas are desired? Are the rents similar in woodside/sunnyside? Living amongst other races doesnt bother me as long as they don't have a problem with me. What are the boundaries of woodside exactly? Are there areas to avoid? stay west of this street or east of this street etc etc.

Thanks again

Sunnyside, I think might be a little more expensive than Woodside, but not by much.
Sunnyside is more appealing to me as it looks cleaner and I feel is safer than woodside. Not that woodside is unsafe (I've never felt that way in the neighborhood anyway) but you'll see more drunkards in Woodside than Sunnyside, thus, there's a greater chance to have un-pleasant encounter in the former than in the latter. but overall I think you'll be just fine in either one.

btw, if you go to maps.google.com and type 'woodside, ny'
you'll have a visual look of the boundaries of the neighborhood.
Stay north of Queens blvd for an easier commute.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:15 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicLad View Post

Thanks again
Woodside, New York City-Queens, New York Zip Code Boundary Map (NY)

Old 03-23-2012, 05:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I certainly don't know every block in Woodside, but I have never thought of Woodside as dangerous. There are probably some desolate parts with more industrial buildings, or near major roads like the BQE (Brooklyn Queens Expressway) that might be undesirable because they are desolate.

Also, it's almost always preferable to be close to the subway so you can get around more quickly. The 7 train runs aboveground, so you might not want to live right next to it if noise is going to bother you, but within a few blocks of the station would be ideal.

If you have an address of a potential apartment, it makes sense to plug it into Google Maps and use the street view option to have a look around. At least that would tell you if the street is residential or industrial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City