Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 07:16 AM

14 posts, read 19,627 times

Advertisements

I know that this is a personal decision, but I thought it might help to get some advice.

I live in Boston (grew up north of the city, did undergrad in connecticut, and now live in the city and work at a shelter) and applied to 4 schools: Simmons, BC, Columbia, and Fordham. I want to do the clinical track. I was accepted to the two boston schools and had to give them an answer over a week ago. I chose Simmons because they offered me a $20,000 scholarship and because they have an extra day of field work, and because they are all clinical.

I'm still waiting to hear from the NY schools. I have always kind of fantasized about moving to NYC (short term, not long term) and experiencing everything the city has to offer, putting myself outside of my comfort zone, etc. The two schools I applied to don't necessarily seem like a better fit than Simmons, and I doubt they will offer me as much money (although, money is not the top determining factor for me in choosing where to go). I also want to do well in grad school, and I'm an easily stressed person and wonder if moving to an intense city like new york while simultaneously starting grad school is a recipe for disaster. My boyfriend said if I chose to go to ny he would come with me, but that won't necessarily be easy, as he would need to find a job and make ends meet as he struggles to pay off his monstrous loans. We already live together and are serious, and I don't want to go to NY without him.

Simmons feels like the best fit, but I can't help wondering if I would be giving something up by not going to New York. Of course, I can always move to a new city after I get my Masters. Saving money might be the smartest thing to do, if I have trouble being a social worker and paying my bills down the line or choose to go back to school for a ph.d. In the meantime, i'm not sure how to cure my restlessness. I'm young and should be taking risks because you only live once, but I still want to be reasonable. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:24 AM

477 posts, read 1,406,093 times
I would say, any school that is offering me a scholarship would be my #1 choice. My cousin has a SW masters from Columbia and she is paying back loans up the kazoo and the jobs are paying around $40k. She says now that she wishes she would have considered cheaper options.

I would take the scholarship, finish school and then move to NYC for a year with your boyfriend. Then you will have the time and money to enjoy the city instead of trying to make ends meet here in addition to all the work you will need to do for school.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,006,642 times
I second the idea on taking whoever offers you the most money relative to the cost of the degree.

Keep in mind that grad school is usually 2-3 years and sometimes 1 year for social work. You can always get your degree and then move here for a job. Trust me, those 2-3 years of you not living here will be a drop in the bucket of a lifetime that you do have to be here.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,150 times
Post Take Simmons

Having survived moving to NYC for a PhD program (psych, although not clinical, but neuroscience/neuropsych), if I were you, obviously motivated to get that degree and do well....With a good offer from someplace that feels like a good fit, TAKE IT, RUN WITH IT, AND FINISH IT. At this point, your program and degree completion will become your absolute core existence. You don't need to add the stress of uncertainty about changing environments, money demands, comfort of the program you attend, etc. on top of trying to focus on survival and success in a graduate program.

If you come to NYC under such circumstances, it creates a certain kind of "locked in" dependency on sticking it out to completion (because you will have to invest so much both tangible and intangible). NYC can be wonderful; it can also be dreadful. The most "wonderful" parts of it are best experienced with the RESOURCES ($$$$) TO "DO IT RIGHT." REGARDLESS of financial aid, a grad student's life here is almost always hand-to-mouth, loan check to loan check, financially and in other ways pretty stressful.

Once you get that degree, you have the option of giving this city a try, as a person with qualifications to get a really great job, with less dependency on remaining here because you are halfway (more or less) through achieving one of your most critically important goals! I did it here, have been here now half of my life, still paying off student loans, and really tired of that.

Think carefully, and BEST WISHES!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:46 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,041 times
NY is a great place to do college but I wouldn't go to Fordham. Try NYU.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 AM

655 posts, read 1,991,487 times
For what college costs, especially graduate school. I'd go to the one that is offering the scholarship.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,868,899 times
Are you talking about SW school? NYU might have been generous with scholarships. If you apply to Columbia (at least not that long ago) if you applied for aid they would want your parent's tax forms even if you were an independant adult. NYU only considered your financial situation if you were an independant adult. That being said, If Simmons would make your life easier and less stressful, go there, but if it will always nag at you that you didn't go to NY for grad school, then just make that leap and go to NYC. You can always go to NY in the future, but you won't have the option of graduate housing, a student counseling center to help with your transition, hand holding, etc. Just things to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City