U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:39 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,566,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Bronx has alot of different restaurants and cuisine nowadays it can really confuse some ppl. I've been a couple of times in a Vietnamese restaurant near Fordham Road after shopping. And I definitely will go back there. The place is well kept and clean and a beautiful Viatnemese chick was behind the counter I complained that the spring rolls were slightly more expensive than the last time but she just flashed a pearl white grin and said "just pay and don't complain". Sadly her english is pretty bad so there is and always will be a language barrier between us but I told her that Saigon is a beautiful city. You been there she asked? I said not yet but I know a Vietnam Veteran who was stationed there. But when she started to clean the tables in her black stretch jeans trying to balance on her high heels I almost chocked on a mouthful of spring rolls.
Right now I'm into Thai cuisine so my recommendation is this well kept and clean Restaurant on Jerome and Kingsbridge Road but they don't accept credit cards. The place is actually Vietnamese but I guess the basic cuisine is pretty much the same as Thai...I went once to a Restaurant called Dhaka Indian Cuisine and it confused me but the waitress said, back home in Bangladesh we have pretty much the same food culture as in India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsantos13 View Post
-Real Azteca in Longwood - corn tortillas..Mmmmmmm
-Zero Otto Nove in Belmont - My fav of the Little Italy Italian spots
-Fratellis in Hunts Point - Broccoli Rabe heroes, enough said!
-Mo Gridders in Hunts Point - BBQ in a mechanics shop. Is this place still open? Last two times I passed by it was closed.
-Bruckner Bar and Grill in Mott Have - typical bar food, nice place to grab a drink.
-Feeding Tree, near Yankee Stadium - Jamaican food, reccomended to me as a spot to go before games. It was good though I've had better Jamaican food.
It's closed for the winter but should open any day now.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:06 PM

42 posts, read 189,378 times
Talking Mo Gridders, South Bronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
It's closed for the winter but should open any day now.
Been meaning to visit this place too. Can't wait til it reopens. Damn, it looks tasty! Look - it was featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on TV:

Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives: Mo Gridders - YouTube

Old 04-10-2012, 10:19 PM

42 posts, read 189,378 times
Thumbs up Bronx Beer Spots

Adding:
Bronx Brewery (although it's not a restaurant)

Bronx Havana Cafe (in Schuylerville)

Bronx Alehouse (in Riverdale) - SO GOOD! Wish it were closer.

and this CBS article: 6 Best Beer Shot Bars in the Bronx

Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 PM

4,841 posts, read 8,245,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morenae View Post
Been meaning to visit this place too. Can't wait til it reopens. Damn, it looks tasty! Look - it was featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on TV:

Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives: Mo Gridders - YouTube
Hunts Point is the last place I would expect a "restaurant" like that.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 AM

When you work on cars from 9 to 5 or drive a truck you need some "real food"!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 PM

8,750 posts, read 16,072,475 times
I generally agree with many of the recommendations on here with a few exceptions:

1. I would NOT recommend Hardrock as a "Bronx restaurant" anymore than I would Applebees. Sorry. The food is lousy anyway.

2. Toscas USED to be great food, and is now really lousy. The kitchen cannot handle the volume, service is lousy, and food oftentimes is served cold/just bad. It is essentially the Olive Garden of Italian food in the Bronx at this point. Look past the outdoor seating and fancy interior, and actually taste the food..you won't return. However it is a great place to sit at the bar and hang out/people watch (although the drinks are too pricey). For good food try PATRICIAS in Morris Park Ave.

3. I would add Venice on 149th as an institution. It has been owned and operated by the same family since around 1951. It is old school, hearty sauce Italian food. http://www.venicerestaurant149.com/ Not a place to eat inside, as the decor is stale and just not warm or inviting.

4. Let's not forget El Nuevo Bohi which is all about pork, roasted pork to be specific, in the West Farms neighborhood on East Tremont. It's not a place I would necessarily sit and eat, as I am not a fan of the crowd there, but if you like lechon or pernil (and I most certainly do), this is the place. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/24/ny...can-style.html

5. I personally enjoy the Black Whale on City Island. It is not the absolute best restaurant, but it has a great brunch, a very nice outdoor courtyard to enjoy, and good food. Service is always good, and it is an overall consistent place. http://dineatblackwhale.com/

The Bronx still has a ways to go, as the overall selection/number of restaurants is limited, and the quality is just not there yet IMO. But it's improving, albeit slowly.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 04-11-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 PM

144 posts, read 412,546 times
Bronx Flavor is a cool video series on restaurants in the bronx.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 AM

142 posts, read 311,012 times
I know this thread is about Bronx restaurants, but there is a very good Mexican place in Mt. Vernon called Cancun, with awesome flautas. They use hard corn tortillas, same for the tostadas. The enchiladas have soft corn tortillas. I go out of my way for their flautas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
where can one get a mexican dish like flautas or enchiladas with a HARD CORN TORTILLA instead of the soft corn tortillas? decades ago flautas and enchiladas and tostadas featured a hard shell stuffed with the meat and cheese and sour cream, the only thing on the outside was the mole sauce or red sauce? The Sante Fe Grill I don't believe had the hard shells and that's an authentic mexican place so i would not expect say Montezuma on W Kingsbridge Rd to have hardshell either.

why the change?

i've noticed even the supermarket brand mex enchiladas are all soft shells

I remember about 25 years ago there was a brand called Tio Sancho that featured a hard shell enchilada, you would fill with the cooked meat and then pour the sauce over it and bake it in the oven it was so authentic that way

why don't they use the hard shells anymore? the expense? it just seems so processed and run of the mill with the soft shells

Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 AM

643 posts, read 1,776,884 times
I was looking up some places on yelp and a lot of people had some good things to say about a Mexican place Xochimilco on Melrose by 153rd Street. Anyone ever hear of it or go there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or