Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 05:17 PM

7 posts, read 27,366 times

Advertisements

My family is looking at relocating to NYC and I've been looking at apartments and noticed that some rents include heat and water. I'm trying to figure out roughly what that's worth to me. I'm looking for a 3 bedroom apartment for me and my 2 teen/tween kids. During the day everyone will be at school/work, so the bulk of the energy usage is evening and weekend. Some ballpark figures would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 05:30 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana_christen1 View Post
My family is looking at relocating to NYC and I've been looking at apartments and noticed that some rents include heat and water. I'm trying to figure out roughly what that's worth to me. I'm looking for a 3 bedroom apartment for me and my 2 teen/tween kids. During the day everyone will be at school/work, so the bulk of the energy usage is evening and weekend. Some ballpark figures would be appreciated!
In both apartments I have lived in heat and hot water are included. As for heat, it is either on or off and I have no control over it. So it's either REALLY cold or REALLY hot in the winter. I know that's not really your questions, but thats just my input.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:48 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Almost all apartments in the City include heat and hot water. Don't consider anything new that uncommonly has you pay for individual electric heat...it will drive you broke.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 PM

57 posts, read 196,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Don't consider anything new that uncommonly has you pay for individual electric heat...it will drive you broke.
I had the same question before moving into my current place and nobody had an answer; now I know it definitely makes a difference. I live in a relatively new 1,100 sqft 2BR/2BA duplex 4th/5th-floor, high-ceiling apartment with electric heat and individual thermostats for downstairs and upstairs. I keep temperatures at 68 degrees and as such it's never too hot or too cold (by my standards anyway), but last winter I paid close to $300 a month on average for utilities (with a high of $341); this winter it's been around $230 (these numbers include gas for hot water).

That being said, I'm probably losing some heat because it's the top of a free-standing building (i.e., windows to all four sides and the roof right above my head; on the other hand, I'm getting plenty of sun through big windows, so maybe it helps being on top? Who knows.).

Either way, since my three September-November bills (i.e., no heat, no a/c) were around $100, the difference is most likely due to electric heat. There are no seasonal fluctuations in my hot-water (gas) usage, so I don't really know what the difference would be. Water itself is less than $20 a month, but then again I live by myself.

My guess is that the "heat and hot water value" tops $150 a month (for about four months a year for heat), more during colder winters. Hope this helps.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,469 times
Jeez!! That electric bill seems so high. I live in one bed with heat and hot water included. In the summer I run my AC in my bedroom 24 hours a day for my dog and in my living room for a few hours per day, and my summer electric bills are ~ $85/mo.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 AM

57 posts, read 196,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
In the summer I run my AC in my bedroom 24 hours a day for my dog and in my living room for a few hours per day, and my summer electric bills are ~ $85/mo.
Wow, that's great! Even with a small 5,000 BTU unit running for 720 hours a month, that means you would only pay an aggregate total of 17 cents per kWh, including supply, delivery, service charge, and tax, and not even taking into consideration the living room unit and any other electricity consumption... that's pretty amazing. I'm not that lucky: my delivery charges alone are already close to that amount, and then you still need to add supply etc., and of course also gas...

Old 03-27-2012, 06:57 AM

Electricity is about .29/Kwhr.
To get through a hot Summer, keeping one room cool 24/7 for $85 one needs neighbors who keep their apartments VERY cool and thus most of the cooling of the $85 apartment is paid by the neighbors on the other sides of the walls.
Dividing $85 by $.29 yields a monthly total of 293 Kwhr, and I don't know ANYONE who uses that small an amount of electricity with air conditioning. I have records going back to 1988 for a North facing one bedroom apartment and my Summer usage was always at least TWICE that amount unless I went away on vacation ...and I watched my usage like a hawk. My HIGH usage was 878 Kwhr in July, 1999 when the average daily temperature was a blistering 82F (like I said I keep records.)

I got a low of 293 ONCE in October 2006 when I was using neither heat nor air conditioniing nor fans, just fridge, freezer, computer, TV lights and electric razor...maybe blender for a couple drinks, and I probably went away for a week as well.

So I am extremely dubious of that ~$85 with an A/C running 24/7.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,446 times
We are family of 4 living in a 800sqft 2br apertment. My electricity usage for Feb and Jan are 79kwh and 78 kwh. Every thing from light bulbs to AC to fridge have "EnergyStar" on them. We have Bluray, DVD, HDTV, laptop, printer, 2 ipads and smartphones. We use what we need and we never waste. The highest bill was from last summer, about $120. Obviously, we don't keep our AC on 24/7.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
My electricity usage for Feb and Jan are 79kwh and 78 kwh.

How much do you spend on CANDLES? Does your windmill require frequent lubrication?

Old 03-28-2012, 01:40 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Almost all apartments in the City include heat and hot water. Don't consider anything new that uncommonly has you pay for individual electric heat...it will drive you broke.
What about cooking gas, is that included?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: