Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times

Advertisements

I just saw a raccoon while walking home from work just now, and I also saw one by St. Johns cemetery in Middle Village. Has anyone else notice raccoon's around the city? I never have seen any until recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 01:02 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,904 times
I seen one in a very weird pose walking down the street in Woodside once. It could have been an opposum but it was pretty scary looking. Arched back.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 AM

95 posts, read 259,652 times
I see them and skunks in various parts of The Bronx, woodsier areas and also small parks near the streets where its easy for them to wander off to in search of some garbage pails

Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
I've seen them in the streets off of Central Park on the West Side at night. They were rooting through the trash cans for food. I guess their little hands were too small to pick up the cans and redeem them for nickels.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^ lol nickels tho lls...they've always
been around in the wild somewhere.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:04 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
They've been in my neighborhood forever. Two of them were 'making babies' in one of our trees the other night. Guess we'll have babies here soon.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:24 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
The raccoons were taking over Glendale, using backyard swimming pools as their personal watering holes, taunting residents and rummaging through garbage.

Raccoon Breaks Into Bronx Apartment.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/bronx/raccoon-breaks-into-bronx-apartment-20100909-kc (broken link)

Another monster Rat found!

Another 3-Foot Rat Found -- In A Bronx Foot Locker [PHOTO] - WPIX

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 03-27-2012 at 01:48 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 02:31 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
The raccoons were taking over Glendale, using backyard swimming pools as their personal watering holes, taunting residents and rummaging through garbage.

Raccoon Breaks Into Bronx Apartment.

Raccoon Breaks Into Bronx Apartment (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/bronx/raccoon-breaks-into-bronx-apartment-20100909-kc - broken link)

Another monster Rat found!

Another 3-Foot Rat Found -- In A Bronx Foot Locker [PHOTO] - WPIX

A Rat is not a a Raccoon, nor is a Raccoon a Rodent. As another poster has said, Raccoons and Oppossums have been co-existing with New Yorkers for years.

Regarding the picture in question, from Huffington Post:
There's no way it's a common sewer rat," Dr. Robert S. Voss, the Curator of Mammals at The American Museum of Natural History in New York, told HuffPost after reviewing the picture. "I'm 90 percent certain that it's a a Gambian pouched rat." Voss estimated the rat to be about two-and-a-half feet in length.Another huge Gambian pouched rat made headlines last year when it was killed in Brooklyn's Marcy houses. Voss said it's possible this rat was once a pet that could have escaped or been released.
Gambian pouched rats were once imported to the United States for sale as pets, but abc.net.au reports that an outbreak of monkeypox in the early 2000s caused the importation of African rodents to be banned.
Despite its size, Voss said the rat is harmless and docile, so there's no need to be worried if you encounter one. He did, however, recommend walking away and calling animal control immediately.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:37 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
I remember the 1st racoon incident back in 1988 when I was in HS. I used to be on the school newspaper and my "scoop" was the racoon that shacked up by the school. This is in Queens. We were all bewildered by how a forest creature made it down to NYC. 20+ years later, seeing a racoon is like seeing a stray cat.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:10 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
A Rat is not a a Raccoon, nor is a Raccoon a Rodent. As another poster has said, Raccoons and Oppossums have been co-existing with New Yorkers for years.

Regarding the picture in question, from Huffington Post:
There's no way it's a common sewer rat," Dr. Robert S. Voss, the Curator of Mammals at The American Museum of Natural History in New York, told HuffPost after reviewing the picture. "I'm 90 percent certain that it's a a Gambian pouched rat." Voss estimated the rat to be about two-and-a-half feet in length.Another huge Gambian pouched rat made headlines last year when it was killed in Brooklyn's Marcy houses. Voss said it's possible this rat was once a pet that could have escaped or been released.
Gambian pouched rats were once imported to the United States for sale as pets, but abc.net.au reports that an outbreak of monkeypox in the early 2000s caused the importation of African rodents to be banned.
Despite its size, Voss said the rat is harmless and docile, so there's no need to be worried if you encounter one. He did, however, recommend walking away and calling animal control immediately.
No, it's not a standard Rattus Norvegicus but it's interesting that a few Gambian pouched rats roam free. And I agree a Raccoon is not a rodent but they can carry the Rabies Virus (Central Park 2009) so petting them is of course out of the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: