Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,775,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieRy View Post
Harlem is at the upper end of Manhattan, Washington heights is a neighborhood in West Harlem, bed-stuy is in Brooklyn
If you don't know a thing for certain then why post? Giving out incorrect information is just wrong.

At the OP,

You really need to do some serious homework re NYC. Moving here on a limited budget w/o knowing what you are doing can lead to great financial difficulties, as well as safety issues.

Generally, the cheaper the neighborhood the greater the crime and other social issues. Moving to any of these areas as a novice to this city is a very dicey proposition.

Your lack of knowledge is incredibly apparent, and NYC may be beyond your imagings. You need to adjust your mindset and do it quickly!

First, NYC consists of 5 **Boroughs**, they are not "towns", but rather separately each of the first 4 would qualify as the 3rd or 4th largest city in America. Another way to conceive of NYC's size w/b to take 4 or 5 of the biggest cities in the country together and then you w/h NYC!!

Within each Borough are several dozen neighborhoods, and within neighborhoods there are sub-areas. Neighborhhods are neighborhoods NOT towns!

Realize that you cannot comprehend NYC thru a suburban prism, it is NOT suburbia!

The thing you need to know about Harlem and Washington Heights is that both are in upper Manhattand and distant from the center of Manhattan which is the business district.

Bedford-Styvesant is in the Borough of Brooklyn and is east of Manhattan across the East River. To reach Manhattan from Brooklyn, by car or subway, a bridge or tunnel must be uttilized.

What you need to comprehend about each of those neighborhoods are the crime and social issues which is why the rent is cheap. Transplants find these areas appealing, because they seem affordable to those desparate to live in NYC, but refuse to accept that they cannot afford to live decently, safely, nor cheaply in NYC. NYC is simply a place many cannot afford!! Many find this out after a very short stint in one of these neighborhoods.

Life in these neighborhoods can be incredibly unpleasant for those who have known nothing, but surburan middle class life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
My apartment is above 125th on lenox. thanks for the advice. No I haven't signed the lease yet I am visiting in april. If I don't like the area then I will find someplace else but its not really a problem. I am assuming most neighborhoods will have decent acces to public transportation. Looking forward to my move.
You WILL have difficulty securing an apartment with your budget in a decent let alone nice area. Minimum budget for a fair place in a fair area is between $1200 and $1600; and comprehend '"fair" will likely be far less than what you imagine. Note the gap in what you state as your budget and what is "fair".

So, you will start here, in NYC, at a less than "fair" quality of life!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 11:19 AM

25 posts, read 53,983 times
As I said before, I was trying to simplify things for someone that's never been to nyc. I dont think most non-New Yorkers know what the terms uptown or downtown refer to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
If you don't know a thing for certain then why post? Giving out incorrect information is just wrong.

At the OP,

You really need to do some serious homework re NYC. Moving here on a limited budget w/o knowing what you are doing can lead to great financial difficulties, as well as safety issues.

Generally, the cheaper the neighborhood the greater the crime and other social issues. Moving to any of these areas as a novice to this city is a very dicey proposition.

Your lack of knowledge is incredibly apparent, and NYC may be beyond your imagings. You need to adjust your mindset and do it quickly!

First, NYC consists of 5 **Boroughs**, they are not "towns", but rather separately each of the first 4 would qualify as the 3rd or 4th largest city in America. Another way to conceive of NYC's size w/b to take 4 or 5 of the biggest cities in the country together and then you w/h NYC!!

Within each Borough are several dozen neighborhoods, and within neighborhoods there are sub-areas. Neighborhhods are neighborhoods NOT towns!

Realize that you cannot comprehend NYC thru a suburban prism, it is NOT suburbia!

The thing you need to know about Harlem and Washington Heights is that both are in upper Manhattand and distant from the center of Manhattan which is the business district.

Bedford-Styvesant is in the Borough of Brooklyn and is east of Manhattan across the East River. To reach Manhattan from Brooklyn, by car or subway, a bridge or tunnel must be uttilized.

What you need to comprehend about each of those neighborhoods are the crime and social issues which is why the rent is cheap. Transplants find these areas appealing, because they seem affordable to those desparate to live in NYC, but refuse to accept that they cannot afford to live decently, safely, nor cheaply in NYC. NYC is simply a place many cannot afford!! Many find this out after a very short stint in one of these neighborhoods.

Life in these neighborhoods can be incredibly unpleasant for those who have known nothing, but surburan middle class life.

You WILL have difficulty securing an apartment with your budget in a decent let alone nice area. Minimum budget for a fair place in a fair area is between $1200 and $1600; and comprehend '"fair" will likely be far less than what you imagine. Note the gap in what you state as your budget and what is "fair".

So, you will start here, in NYC, at a less than "fair" quality of life!!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,983,272 times
IndieRy, you said Washington Heights is a neighborhood in West Harlem. How is that helping and outsider when it is totally wrong? And no matter how much you want it to be true, Harlem is not the northern tip of Manhattan. Moderator cut: Not necessary

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-31-2012 at 02:46 AM.. Reason: Not necessary

Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,983,272 times
Educate yourself you Harlem-centric person. To you Upper Manhattan = Harlem............come to the real uptown and get acquainted to us spanish speaking brown folks.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,089,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
That's not necessarily true. Distance to Midtown & Downtown Manhattan plays a role in the rent prices. For the price you're paying to live in a dodgy part of Upper Manhattan, you could potentially live in a perfectly safe neighborhood in Staten Island. The problem of course, is the commute.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:53 PM

41 posts, read 92,511 times
Guys. I am not worried about crime I have grown up and always have lived in areas with high crime. I was just asking for general info and looking for people who actually live in these areas. Thank jcoltrane for the information, but I don't think it is really going to be much different from where I live now. From what I am reading Harlem is majority black american which is the same here in South carolina.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:04 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,804,888 times
J Coltrane pretty much said it all btw im from SC and NYC is a different animal.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:40 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,804,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieRy View Post
Ahh, I see, I was trying to make it a little clearer for someone that's never been to nyc, just in terms of geography.
lol broscience

Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 PM

594 posts, read 1,629,005 times
Nobody here has mentioned that you might consider looking for a share instead of your own apartment. If your budget is only $800 then I can tell you right now that you will probably not find anything even close to Manhattan, Harlem or not.

It would be do-able in any of the areas you mentioned if you just rented a room though instead of an entire place alone. You wouldn't get roped into any contracts either so you could leave easily if you decide you don't like it.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:10 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,438,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
Guys. I am not worried about crime I have grown up and always have lived in areas with high crime. I was just asking for general info and looking for people who actually live in these areas. Thank jcoltrane for the information, but I don't think it is really going to be much different from where I live now. From what I am reading Harlem is majority black american which is the same here in South carolina.
Trust us, it's not correlation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Nobody here has mentioned that you might consider looking for a share instead of your own apartment. If your budget is only $800 then I can tell you right now that you will probably not find anything even close to Manhattan, Harlem or not.

It would be do-able in any of the areas you mentioned if you just rented a room though instead of an entire place alone. You wouldn't get roped into any contracts either so you could leave easily if you decide you don't like it.
I was just about to post this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City