Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:02 PM

41 posts, read 92,772 times

Advertisements

Hello forum I am new here so take it easy on me lol . I am moving to nyc this june for a job transfer from south carolina. I was searching for cheap properties in the area and have been interested in these areas as they appear to have the cheaper rent that fits in my budget. I cant afford most places in nyc so I was looking into brooklyn. Is anyone familiar with these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 02:22 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
Use the search feature to look up these neighborhoods. There are plenty of topics that talk about these areas ad nauseum. After you've exausted your search, come back and ask more specific questions like, "I can only afford X in rent", or "what is this specific section of Harlem like?" These neighborhoods are large, have sub neighborhoods within them, and have undergone lots of changes in the past couple of years so asking "what's it like" is too broad of a question (unless you're looking for answer marked with generalizations).

Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,568 times
You are aware that only one of the neighborhoods you posted about is in Brooklyn, correct? What is your budget, what do you need size-wise, etc? And I second that you should search the forms- tons of people have asked the same questions.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:31 PM

My budget is around $800 I have particularly found an apartment in harlem, and I thought these towns were all in brooklyn?

Old 03-27-2012, 06:38 PM

25 posts, read 54,139 times
Harlem is at the upper end of Manhattan, Washington heights is a neighborhood in West Harlem, bed-stuy is in Brooklyn

Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
My budget is around $800 I have particularly found an apartment in harlem, and I thought these towns were all in brooklyn?
Where is it? And where will you be working? (Just intersection or block if you dontwant to divuge actual addresses.) Have you everbeen to or lived in NYC before? That and a few more details will enable us to help you.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 PM

the apartment is on lenox avenue. has anyone lived in this area before? I will be working in manhattan and no, I have never been to or lived in new york. thanks for all replies.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
the apartment is on lenox avenue. has anyone lived in this area before? I will be working in manhattan and no, I have never been to or lived in new york. thanks for all replies.
All those areas have problems with crime, although they are gentrifying.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:20 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieRy View Post
Harlem is at the upper end of Manhattan, Washington heights is a neighborhood in West Harlem, bed-stuy is in Brooklyn

Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
If you are working normal hours you should be alright on Lenox, although the QOL there can vary depending on where you are. Some sections of the avenue might seem a bit more scary to a newcomer than others, but not knowing the cross street you're on I can't tell you more. Personally I think Lenox below 125th is a bit more livable and has a higher QOL than most of the the avenue north of there.

Your low rent (for NYC) suggests to me that you may not be in the the most modern apartment. If that's the case make sure you have adequate security on your doors and windows (gates), and if its a walk up building, be prepared to slog up the stairs every week with your groceries and laundry--you may may not have a washer or dryer in the basement. Lastly, if the place you have is totally unacceptable, consider a roommate situation down the road--though it may not be feasible if you're locked into a lease.

You will be an easy walk to the 8th Ave (A/B/C/D) subways and the 7th Ave lines (2/3) to get downtown to work. Buy a monthly unlimited metrocard ($104) to get around town. Its good on both buses and subways. Take cabsif you're out late at night, say past midnight. Until you know your neighborhood a bit better I'd suggest sticking to walking on the main avenues and cross streets (125th, 116th, 135th, 145th) as you go about your business. The activity there may make you feel somewhat safer.

Spend a weekend just walking around to find the nearsest grocery stores, drug stores, laundromats, etc etc. And also spend some time checking out other neighborhoods in the city. NYC is way bigger than Harlem for sure.

If its your thing, join a church. That will give you a first circle of people who can help you get settled. Or join some group where you can get to know people -- a book club, classes at a gym, anything thats not work-related. Loneliness can be a terrible thing in the big city. It'll seem as if everyone has something to do and somehwere to go but you. And BTW there are many free or cheap things to do in NYC if you plan ahead by reading the local papers.

NYC and Harlem will be a vast change from anything in SC. Trust me. It may take you some time to get accustomed to it. Or you may never get accustomed to it at all and decide to leave. But you can't know that until yo'u're here for a while. Old saying: You can always tell a New Yorker because they're all looking for an apartment, a job, and a lover. And when they get them they start looking for a better one of each. That's the type of town this is.

Good luck and welcome to New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City