Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,444,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

These are amazing! Thanks for sharing I love when people think outside the box and create nice edits. Also I love the Brooklyn Bridge, It's most likely my favorite bridge. It's just a cliche' "NYC Pic".

(I would like to see you capture and edit the Brooklyn Bridge though, I'm sure you could do justice for it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:25 AM

106,238 posts, read 108,237,907 times
i would like to get over there one day but its so hard to park in that area.

we are in bayside by the throggs neck and whitestone.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:57 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times
If people post enough photos, then the thread will stay near the top and we don't need a sticky. Manhattan from the Manhattan Bridge:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/27040_750810307965_408154_42319504_3144386_n.jpg (broken link)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/27040_750810382815_408154_42319510_5285065_n.jpg (broken link)

A street on the other side of the bridge (Brooklyn Heights):

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/27040_750810582415_408154_42319540_7489078_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Too many "stickies" make for a less interesting forum experience. I once saw a board where the entire first page was "sticky" and you had to click away from the same old stuff month after month.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:21 PM

Some Brooklyn photos I took. . .

A huge tower will be here before the decade is over^^

A little Manhattan love:

Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 PM

2,622 posts, read 3,399,823 times
Default An example of how a PHOTO STICKY can be organized (re: see the PHOTO STICKY for PITTSBURGH, PA on City-Data.com)

Being that New York CIty is such a megalopolis and there could be so many, many, many photos posted for all the different sites, features, neighborhoods, etc. etc. etc. of New York City & environs and we all know that many of of the uploaded photos would be redundant, it is understood by me that this is perhaps why the New York City Forum hasn't had a single PHOTO STICKY like other cities, metro areas, and regions around the U.S. have. That is, it was deemed by those who run this forum that such a photo sticky of New York City would so utterly unwieldy.

I offer up, as an example of organization and manageability of a PHOTO STICKY, how the PITTSBURGH, PA FORUM administers their Photo Sticky for the Pittsburgh region. You can look at it directly at http://www.city-data.com/forum/pittsburgh/. They title it Sticky: Master List of Pittsburgh Photo Tours and, on the first page of that sticky (see & explore it yourself at Master List of Pittsburgh Photo Tours), they list the following:

MASTER LIST OF PITTSBURGH FORUM PHOTO TOURS

Communities:

Bellevue, also North Boros and downtown.
Pittsburgh (and North Neighborhoods) pics

Braddock
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Braddock Photo Tour

Brownsville, PA
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Brownsville, PA

California-Kirkbride: Old Allegheny Rows Historic District
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Urban Prairie in Pittsburgh: A Photo Case Study

East Deutschtown
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: East Deutschtown

Esplen
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Exploring Pittsburgh's Esplen Neighborhood

Manchester & Allegheny West Historic Districts
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Manchester & Allegheny West Historic Districts

McKees Rocks & Stowe: "The Bottoms" and Norwood neighborhoods

Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: McKees Rocks & Stowe: "The Bottoms" and Norwood neighborhoods

Natrona: The Pennsalt Historic District
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Natrona: The Pennsalt Historic District (Photo Tour)

North Side Mansions and Grand Homes

Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: North Side Mansions and Grand Homes Photo Tour

Presston (Stowe Township)
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Presston (Stowe Township)

Shadyside
Springtime in Shadyside

These Three are of Squirrel Hill
[Pictures] Squirrel Hill Neighborhood near Frick Park

Squirrel Hill near Frick Park

[Pictures] Frick Park at Nicholson Street Entrance

Strip District
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Strip District

Uptown & The Bluff
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Bluff & Uptown Photo Tour

West Deutschtown Historic District
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: West Deutschtown Historic District Photo Tour (North Side)

West End Park
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: West End Park

West End Village
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: West End Photo Tour

West Park (Stowe Township): Broadway Business District
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: West Park (Stowe Township): Broadway Business District

Wharf Historic District
Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Downtown Pittsburgh: Wharf Historic District

Wilkinsburg, Hamnett Place
Hamnett Place, Wilkinsburg Photo Tour

Wilkinsburg, PHLF Restored Homes
Tour of PHLF Restored Homes in Wilkinsburg

General Pittsburgh Photos:

Pittsburgh PICS This is the thread used as a "Photo Sticky"

The Essence of Pittsburgh--In Pictures

Some fun pics I took around Pittsburgh, the Strip, and Millvale

Fall Colors in W. Pennsylvania

Final Pittsburgh Neighborhood Rowhouses--warning many pics

What neighborhood/street is this?

25 Photos of Pittsburgh

A Quick Look at Pittsburgh

Photo Shoot Locations

Pittsburgh, for those who haven't been here. (pics)

Pittsburgh Was AMAZING! (Photos!)

Old Photo Challenges

Official Old Photo Challenge Thread

Old Photo Challenge #2

Old Photo Challenge #3

Old Photo Challenge #4

Specific Structures/Places

Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Western Penitentiary

Rest in Peace: June, 2011 City of Pittsburgh Demolition List (in pictures!)

Botanical Gardens

Farewell to the Old Stone Church

Amazing Lights on the Cathedral Of Learning-Univ of Pittsburgh

Who hates the UPMC sign?

Look what I found!

The Lost Buildings of Pittsburgh

Photo Shoot Locations

Where in the Burgh is this?

What neighborhood/street is this?

[Pictures] Colfax Elementary School

Speaking of Preservation

Map of Where People Take Photos in The Burgh

Extremely cool map of where people take photos in Pittsburgh

More photo tours can be found on AlleghenyAngels' blog on Pittsburgh's historic neighborhoods

Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh Photo Tours

END OF LIST

Note how they break it down. The New York City Forum, if it is ever to open a PHOTO STICKY FORUM for New York City (or for the New York City Metropolitan Area) can perhaps learn from the Pittsburgh, PA Forum in their chosen approach to make such a "Photo Sticky" offering more manageable (instead of a simple directive to all comers to simply "Post all & any photos, pictures, et al of New York City that you have or want to, including ONLY pictures that you took yourself and that are not copyrighted"). We all know that, for a place like New York City or the New York City CMSA, that is inviting an unwieldy monster to be created and managed.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:22 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,326,603 times
One of the other fora I moderate has a link to an index of photo tours, as do others, that have been compiled by other members, namely Caladium (who did Pittsburgh) and normie. Both ladies have graciously donated their time to create the master indexes within the various sub-fora, and even linked photo threads that I created for the Northern Virginia sub-forum.

There is an old NYC photo thread that surfaces from time to time, here: NYC Photo Thread

There is a valid issue with thread length as well, and the numerous pictures of NYC. I am not creating an issue, but over 1000 posts and the thread has to be closed. Now, that's why I proposed separate threads for general, and by borough above, with an index to existing photo threads by topic/borough. In fact, I have been working on the new threads, as I have available time, so patience is appreciated. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
One of the other fora I moderate has a link to an index of photo tours, as do others, that have been compiled by other members, namely Caladium (who did Pittsburgh) and normie. Both ladies have graciously donated their time to create the master indexes within the various sub-fora, and even linked photo threads that I created for the Northern Virginia sub-forum.

There is an old NYC photo thread that surfaces from time to time, here: NYC Photo Thread

There is a valid issue with thread length as well, and the numerous pictures of NYC. I am not creating an issue, but over 1000 posts and the thread has to be closed. Now, that's why I proposed separate threads for general, and by borough above, with an index to existing photo threads by topic/borough. In fact, I have been working on the new threads, as I have available time, so patience is appreciated. Thank you.
Thank YOU! I thought you guys forgot about this actually.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
LOL! Cool I would like to see them. Although I'm sure it'll have the Brooklyn Bridge or Williamsburg Bridge in it (unless you know the spot in DUMBO to just capture the Manhattan bridge)
Then I must have been at the spot...

Wrong Way!

Williamsburg Bridge in this one:

I wonder what that high rise building in the foreground is.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:50 AM

106,238 posts, read 108,237,907 times
im in favor of any method that has a decent sort index. just to dump photos on top of photos and have the beginning photos lost in the heap isnt a way to do it.

the individual threads work well because you can do a google search for an attraction or area and up come city data photos that were posted.

that brings more people to discover cd data and makes the posters photos avail to the general public easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City