U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 02:53 AM

480 posts, read 667,980 times

Advertisements

It's no secret that apartment hunting / real estate in NYC is not for the faint of heart.

I have been looking alot for a place anywhere near Manhattan ( West/ South Bronx, Upper Manhattan, Heights,Harlem, LES , Flatbush, Williamsburg... etc.) and have no luck.

I need to just be near the A,B,C,D 1,or 2 line (would like to avoid changing lines) to get to work. Budget 700-800$.

This is seems impossible. My question was where do people ( and find ) apartments for these areas ???

Craigslist cannottt be the only place ?!?

Any suggestions ???

Thanks a milli
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 03:37 AM

477 posts, read 1,150,369 times
If you don't want to change trains then Williamsburg is out right off the bat. Most people I know did get their apartments via craigslist, but others got theirs through word of mouth (knew someone who was moving out). If your not local to look and you don't want to do Craigslist then you probably have to use a broker.

Yes there are a lot of scams on that site, but there are also legit places too. If something looks too good to be true it's probably not and don't give money to anyone who is looking for a place for you.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 AM

927 posts, read 1,192,200 times
I used Craigslist to find my place and also to find roommates. Most of my friends did too and others found out about places through friends/word of mouth. I think it's going to be your best bet, but you have to look all the time because places go really fast! With a budget of $700-800 you're going to be able to afford a room in an apartment, not your own apartment. Good luck!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:29 AM

9 posts, read 12,145 times
Hotpads.com
Nakedapartments.com
Nytimes.com (realty section)
Nydailynews.com (realty section)

These are pretty reputable and reliable

Old 03-29-2012, 09:46 AM

2,900 posts, read 7,806,703 times
Your problem is your budget. Just not enough to pay for a place in any decent area, and certainly not enough to in any be particular or adverse to switching trains!!! Switching from local to express or vice versa, and/or from one line to another is just part of life in NYC. To pose any such limits in your budget circumstances is just not reasonable. Not to mention it is totally a Transplant Manhattan centric mindset, which you cannot afford!

You also will likely have to accept the longest of commutes. I suggest you try the Rockaways, very long subway ride, but probably the cheapest best area.

The other way to find apartments are local real estate offices. Generally, the local drag in the neighborhood is where they are located. Wear some comfortable shoes and just start going from one to the other. The better apartments and deals often never make it to Craigslist.

It may take some time, but making yourself known to the local agents increases your chance of being called before the listing is placed on Craigslist to the open public.

Lastly, you should really consider living with roommates in better neighborhoods....

Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 AM

509 posts, read 1,976,191 times
The problem isn't where you're looking, the problem is your budget. Assuming you're looking for your own apartment, $700-$800 will get you nothing anywhere in the 5 boroughs except in the farthest flung/most dangerous neighborhoods. Forget about anything else you desire like direct train lines, etc. and ESPECIALLY forget about anything in a desirable (or even semi desirable) area like Williamsburg or Flatbush and forget about Manhattan all together.

A quick glance at Craigslist looks like maybe a studio in the northeast Bronx or a sketchy SRO in someplace like Crown Heights.

Heed everyone else's advice and seek a share situation. Even then, with only 700-800 you won't be in a particularly desirable area.

EDIT: Looked some more and it looks like there may be some small studios somewhere like Flatbush for $800. Flatbush is large and much of it is not so great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City