U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2012, 06:05 PM

641 posts, read 606,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photography View Post
No, it IS an excuse, and a pathetic one at that. There are many cities as populous or more populous than NY that are much cleaner than NY. It's because the citizens actually care enough to take care of where they live instead of leaving it disgustingly filthy like NYers do. For example, in Tokyo, which is roughly 4 times the size of NY, they take care to keep their city very clean (much cleaner than NY), which is because their citizens are actually respectful of others and their environment.

Again, take off the pink glasses.

The city of Tokyo actually has a population of around 13 million ppl while NYC has 8 stop over exaggerating bruh.

But anyway like a lot of ppl said there's like a precedent here monkey see monkey do.

I'm not gonna lie I'm a litter bug when it comes to small things like a piece of paper or gum.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 07:54 PM

430 posts, read 447,446 times
Plain and simple; Most of us are lazy, SOB's. Let not kid ourselves here...

Old 04-03-2012, 10:48 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,690,103 times
When I was a young tyke the schools made a point, many times, of being a good citizen and neighbor and taking care of where you put your trash.

I think fines/penalties for littering (trash cleanup duty, maybe?) would go a long way. Look at how clean Singapore is. There are heavy penalties there for littering. We certainly don't want to go to extremes, but a few people being fined or seen cleaning up the block that they trashed would go a long way to make others think twice.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:33 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,529,219 times
Comparing NYC to other large cities doesn't really help. I have met native Japanese kids from Tokyo, and they are not clean by nature. They are just as trashy.

People litter because there is no incentive not too. If people were penalized for littering, it would help stop the problem, but only so much. It's like running traffic lights. You can run a traffic light 20 times, and not get caught till the 21st time. So people still run red lights. The same with littering, you can litter all day, and only get caught once. That's not going to incentivize people to stop littering. And all that litter does add up.

Ultimately, there will always be litter as long as people have a "I am the only person in the world" attitude. And unfortunately, about 90% of the population has that "entitlement" attitude. They really don't see one piece of trash as a big deal. To them, their time, their effort to get to a trash can, is a huge deal, and it is not a big deal to just toss a soda can on the street. They might not toss an entire garbage bag of trash in the river...but when they look at that one little soda bottle and the unbearably long walk (maybe about 3 feet) to the nearest garbage can..their minds play a little trick on them, and tells them "what are you, a maid!? you got things to do! it's just ONE little can." So they toss it on the ground. And then one million other people toss their trash as well. And it adds up.

This effects rich and poor people, educated and stupid, it's all the same. No matter where you come from, most people believe they are special little snow flakes, and because of that, ANYTHING they do is "no big deal". It's just such a minor thing to worry about, when compared to something major (whatever they happen to be doing at the time is "major").

People feel like their city, and their fellow citizens, are beneath them. And if you think the person next to you is trash, why would you have any qualms about covering your city in trash? This will not change with tickets (although that would help). It's a mind set that people have. When they see OTHER people toss trash, they become angry. When THEY toss trash, it's no big deal.

It's the same with speeding, or cheating on your taxes, or taking a long time to order when you are in line. When OTHER people do it, it's infuriating. When YOU do it, it's no big deal.

I don't see that attitude changing anytime soon.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 PM

457 posts, read 172,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post

It's the same with speeding, or cheating on your taxes, or taking a long time to order when you are in line. When OTHER people do it, it's infuriating. When YOU do it, it's no big deal.

I don't see that attitude changing anytime soon.
LOL - that sums up life.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:37 PM

You have a point about the fine, so a litterer having to do trash pickup would probably be a better incentive not to. Maybe they should fine them for the first offense and do the mandatory trash pickup for the next.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:22 PM

457 posts, read 172,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You have a point about the fine, so a litterer having to do trash pickup would probably be a better incentive not to. Maybe they should fine them for the first offense and do the mandatory trash pickup for the next.
The people that take out the trash also don't give a fack too.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 AM

12,343 posts, read 12,131,936 times
People here are disgusting, I would think out Mayor Dumberg would instill a littering fine, since we cant smoke in a Park, how about giving a littering fine, that should rack in the dough.

NY is filthy and disgusting. Shopping in SoHo along broadway the strret against the curb was absolutely disgusting and filthy. Where was the sanitation dept? The garbage receptables were overflowing.....garbage everywhere....

In my area in bensonhurst we have pigs that live here as well. garbage is everywhere, the main streets are disgusting....

and the mayor is worried about second hand smoke, never mind that, clean the streets better.

All along the Belt parkway there is litter, why, because people are disgusting and throw garbage out the car windows.

so all in all, it is the people of our City that are dirty, and lazy and make the city a freaking garbage dump.

remember, a gatorade bottle doesn't jump out of the fridge into the street by itself, it gets a little help.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:59 PM

I hate seeing slobs spitting on the street. Now, watch, I'll be attacked for dissing someone's culture.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:41 PM

1,108 posts, read 638,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
People here are disgusting, I would think out
so all in all, it is the people of our City that are dirty, and lazy and make the city a freaking garbage dump.
Everyone here is a pig? Another complete exaggeration...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City