Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
That number is correct. Indeed if one includes people with Caribbean origin grandparents and beyond it goes even higher.....though that makes little sense as in most instances real ties to a Caribbean identity will not be significant.
I don't think that's the case. Unlike a lot of other immigrants to the States, West Indians typically don't leave their home country never to return again. We spent summers in Barbados just limin with grandparents, cousins and uncles. I don't think I'm unusual in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:28 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,904 times
All blacks are from the continent of Africa.

The Carribean islands were one of the first stops/dropoff for slaves exported out of Africa.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:19 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Yeah, that's true since a lot of Black people are moving down south. It's almost completely African American Black people that are moving down south since they are likely to have family roots down there. Usually family is a large factor when relocating.
This is true somewhat. If you go the Charlotte NC, Atlanta GA, Nashville TN forums you find many post that give information on the Caribbean communities there. Throughout the state of Louisianna there is a sizable Haitian community.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I know Cost of Living is the reason!

I'm just saying that an AA is more likely to move down south for that reason than a Black Caribbean since they are far more likely to have family to fall back on there.
An AA has to go there with education and skills. The south is not kind to their poor of any race. AA's cannot fall back on family, in the south especially, tradition is once a person is an adult you are on your own.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:26 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I am in my 40s.
Two of my grandparents were born in the Northeast - Grandma - NY (1915) & Grandpa - NJ (1906).
My other two grandparents were born in VA.
My mom was born in Queens (1934)
None of my family members were born outside the US.
I've been told that I am very rare among black New Yorkers.
Yes and no. What people forget that NY State had slavery until 1827 and at one time had more slaves than GA. There are Upstate Black folks with roots that go back well over 150 years. So, while not very common, it is more common than people realize. Here's an Upstate community with Black people that have long time roots:
Emancipation Day Celebration, Peterboro NY: August 7, 2010 - YouTube

There are others as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-04-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 12:27 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Thank you... Someone who knows what he's talking about... That whole mass exodus of Black people flocking to areas down south has slowed down and I know of a number of people after leaving deciding that Down South isn't for them whether it be cause of boredom or outright racism down south... I laugh when I see people talk about the racism up here like it's anything comparable to down south... Sure, you have some areas that are fairly mixed down south but the vast majority of the neighborhoods down there are still pretty backwards compared to over here... I knew a friend that got married a couple years ago to a woman from North Carolina and decided to move down South to where she lived in Hickory (He was haitian, she was mixed but looked black) and if you would see the outright racism they experienced when they went to restaurants or walked in public it was pretty disgusting... I remember when we went down there for the wedding me and a few friends of mine went to a steakhouse and we stood in there for five minutes realized the place wasn't for us at all and we left and they had already keyed our car...

Over here sure you have people that have their ill feelings towards black or hispanic folk but they're not gonna call you a n**** or s*** over here because they know better... Down south they just don't care and alot of people that move down there because they feel that the city isn't too accepting of black folk realized how things over here weren't as bad and end up moving back... I know of a few friends of mine that after moving down there ended up hating it and decided to move back... Same thing with some Puerto Rican people that moved to Florida as well...

I'm talking to one guy now who thought Florida was the new place to be for Puerto Ricans but is now considering moving back because he's unhappy down there... When we talk about Blacks and Puerto Ricans leaving this city in droves, you have to talk in past tense because that time has passed... What you see now isn't people flocking to other cities but rather other middle class areas within the city and if there is a case of a black or Puerto Rican family moving down south it is the exception nowadays and not the rule... That exodus movement happened from about 95-08...
Thanks for this post I've stated this many times in the past post, and was always shot down. Many AA's are coming back from FL now. I hear it is rough down there for them economically.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
nope. there are more black americans
than any other black group in nyc.
satisfied?

Old 04-04-2012, 01:31 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Thanks for this post I've stated this many times in the past post, and was always shot down. Many AA's are coming back from FL now. I hear it is rough down there for them economically.
It's true. My pops been telling me this for a while. There really aren't a lot of jobs there.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:19 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Economy in Florida is not that great no matter what race you are, even Nasa is making cut backs creating more unemployment for residents. So far I came across a few transplants from florida and have no desire to move back to that state due to the lack of well paying jobs. My question is one AAs move out of the hoods and try to live a simple life of the suburbs over housing pj's and to a lesser extent tenements, when they move back to nyc where do AAs move back too? I have heard about a few moving back due to having a sick dying parents back here in the city which is common. It looks like were going to have to wait another 9 years for the census to answer how many AAs moved back to nyc.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 04-04-2012 at 03:27 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 03:29 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
All blacks in NYC and worldwide are of African descent...we have been effectively divided and conquered
Various black ethnic groups all have their rich, and DIFFERENT histories that enable each to make their own unique contributions.

AAs with their history of Jim Crow have had to confront a racism much more brutal than that faced by other TransAtlantic blacks so were able to develop strategies of dealing with racism and its impacts. Such strategies have been useful to many groups facing similar oppression.

Blacks from the Anglophone Caribbean, being the only ones outside of Africa running (at least nominally) their nations, have had other charateristics to bring to the table.

And so on for other groups of continental and Transatlantic Afro descendants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City