U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-13-2007, 02:44 PM

7 posts, read 9,882 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are moving to NYC in the first week of October (well, that is, if we can find a place to live). I just graduated from college & am starting a job in Manhattan October 15th with a salary of about 50k/year. My boyfriend will be making about 40k/year. We are moving from Buffalo & have some money saved up from working this summer (not much...~5k...hopefully enough to get an apartment, maybe with some help from the parents).

I am not familiar with ANY living expenses in NYC (although I looked up the monthly pass for the subway...$76...not bad). So, I have no idea what I should be spending on rent. I love to shop, but can keep the habit under control, if need be I am not going to have a car, so I don't have to worry about parking or car insurance or a car payment.

If I am grossing $50k, how much can I expect to bring home (after city tax, state tax, etc, etc.)

Also, any advice on neighborhoods? I have been searching Astoria, Brooklyn Heights, Upper East & West Side, and Midtown Manhattan (only because I have heard good things about those places).

Any help would be really great!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 02:45 PM

Oh, I also have a small Maltese dog! I forgot to mention that.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:06 PM

563 posts, read 1,209,811 times
Van Cortlandt Village, Bronx, I'd suggest that. At least for starting out. You don't sound like you can afford Manhattan, and I'm not sure how easy it is finding apartments in Astoria (it's a hot spot for many). VCV is about 25-45 minutes from Midtown via the BXM3 bus, or a walking distance (5 minutes) to subway stations which take you to Manhattan, as well. Although it was basically all old Jewish folks up until a decade ago, it's gotten much more diverse, with young Irish, Hispanic, Jewish and Black people in the population.

Many residents of VCV used to live in Manhattan but were priced out by yuppies. There is virtually no crime and the neighborhood shares a nice sense of community. The only flaw is that next to a Synagogue, bodega, pizza parlor, hair salon, 99 cents store, supermarket, library, pharmacy, and Chinese Restaurant, there isn't much to do. You're a walking distance/5 minute bus trip away from Broadway, which has a variety of stores, as well as a small distance from Marble Hill, Manhattan, which has a Target, Starbucks, Applebees, and so on.

Apartment rents range from $650-$750 a month for a studio, a one bedroom for around $850-1000, a two bedroom for $1050-1350, or a three bedroom for $1500+.

Edit: not sure on the dog policies, though. A number of the folks in the neighborhood do have dogs, so take that for what it's worth, I guess.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:41 PM

2,775 posts, read 8,609,267 times
For 90k are year, you can't be to picky. In the Outer Boroughs you should be fine. In Manhattan, you may have a harder time. But you will be able to find numerous listings in Manhattan. Downtown seems to have a pretty low housing cost... Not sure why. But I was just browsing NYC apartments and found some nice little apartments in the Villages and Battery Park City for about 130k or $1,100 a month.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:31 PM

10,526 posts, read 11,336,175 times
In my personal experience, you are going to have an even harder time finding a place that will take the dog (but luckily it is a small dog, a lot of the restrictions are on larger dogs).

Also, since most Manhattan apartments want 40x annual rent, you'll be looking at $2250 max. Does your boyfriend have a job already, or just you? If it is just you then, $1250 is what you will qualify for, which definitely will not get you anything in Manhattan.

Are you open to the outer boros or say NJ or LI?

Old 09-13-2007, 04:32 PM

10,526 posts, read 11,336,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
For 90k are year, you can't be to picky. In the Outer Boroughs you should be fine. In Manhattan, you may have a harder time. But you will be able to find numerous listings in Manhattan. Downtown seems to have a pretty low housing cost... Not sure why. But I was just browsing NYC apartments and found some nice little apartments in the Villages and Battery Park City for about 130k or $1,100 a month.
$1100 in the village? Those have to be $cammer (why is that word censored?) ads (where they ask you to buy a list, or tell you that apartment is rented, but heres one for $2k, etc).

Old 09-13-2007, 07:58 PM

I am open to living anywhere, but don't want any longer than an hour commute to work. I have seen a ton of ads for places on the Upper East Side in Manhattan for ~1600-2000 a month. Are those places legit, do you think?

I have a job, my boyfriend doesn't, but 40k is the salary of the jobs he is applying for. How strict are they with the 40x rule??

Then, I was thinking of staying in a subletted apartment for a month or two & trying to find a place for us to live while I was down there. He would come down as soon as I found a place. Does anyone think that would be cheaper & a better idea?

VCV sounds great, I haven't heard about that area before. I will definitely have to check it out, thank you. Why is it so cheap there??

Thanks everyone for the responses...I wouldn't say I am totally clueless...but I pretty much am!! Any help is great.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:03 PM

923 posts, read 2,477,698 times
My wife and I moved here from Buffalo a year ago. Welcome!

$90K will let you live like royalty Buffalo - or will at least get you a nice three bedroom place in Amherst with two cars in the driveway, but here, it is pretty much lower-middle to middle-class.

If you are looking for a one-bedroom - $2500-$3000 a month in Manhattan is barely doable on $90k - you'd be living paycheck-to-paycheck.

In the outer boroughs you can do better, but you won't be experiencing the quintessential Mahattan lifestyle. We live in Southern Brooklyn. It's safe, nice neighbors, even quiet (by NYC standards). Big downside is the long commute.

PM me if you need more information - especially how to deal with the Buffalo-to-NYC culture shock, and where to watch Bills games with your fellow fans

BTW - here is web site that will calcuate your exact net pay - including NYC resident income tax

Free Paycheck Calculator, Payroll Calculator, Tax withholding calculator

Old 09-13-2007, 08:14 PM

563 posts, read 1,209,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforshee View Post
VCV sounds great, I haven't heard about that area before. I will definitely have to check it out, thank you. Why is it so cheap there??
I have no idea. My parents moved here in the early 80s and prices were extremely low at the time. It was like a middle classmen's paradise. Recently, the area has attracted many Manhattanites who can't afford Manhattan but don't want to leave the city. If it continues, I'd say the prices still won't change for a few years. The neighborhood hasn't transitioned much from, say, 15 years ago, minus the demographics (again, went from old and Jewish to young and a variety of races).

As for why you've never heard of the neighborhood name, it's only known among the older folks in the neighborhood and real estate people. It's being brought back and is used more often, but to many of the non-Manhattanites the neighborhood is basically Northern Kingsbridge Heights.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:30 PM

46 posts, read 159,771 times
My fiance and I live in Battery park and he's the only one with an income.
We paid 2100$/month for a studio down here and no extra fees for pets.
The 40x rule does apply though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City