Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:26 PM

594 posts, read 1,634,465 times

Advertisements

Boston is the rat capital of America. I'm sure New York has their share, but go take a stroll around Boston Harbor and you'll see some of these monstrous vermin with saw-blade teeth and red eyes. At night they can actually give you a pretty good shock if you're walking around alone, some of them are the size of dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,788 times
I don't take the subway much anymore, and I don't live in the city, just commute here daily for work, but I don't remember the last time I saw a rat. Even when I lived in NYC and used the subway for my daily commute, I saw rats only occasionally. Maybe the MTA's maintenance of the system has suffered, with all the budget cuts.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 PM

95 posts, read 259,665 times
Sorry, I chuckled a bit. Huge rats and their furry little friends the rodents are quite a problem in NYC. Rats own the subways, and you can easily see them on the platform alongside people. I once saw a feeding frenzy on the D and E 7th ave train station. The MTA workers left garbage bags near the entrance of the tunnel on the platform and there were dozens of rats screeching, coming from the upstairs track and jumping off the stairs into the pile.

Anywhere that garbage is placed on the sidewalk(everywhere in NYC) you will see huge rats and or feral cats digging through.

I advise you to really check any place you move into, cause once rodents have a viable entrance to your home they DON'T stop coming...even with poison. I moved to a newly renovated apartment in Sunset Park, Brooklyn a few years ago on a 3 floor building. The owner had left a huge hole under the kitchen sink that I would later find after spending money on numerous glue traps that I had to lay in distinctive places...at times catching 5-6 a night. Quite the horror story.

Im in no way trying to lour you out of NYC, but you have to come to terms with the fact that you'll bump into a critter once in a while.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:13 PM

986 posts, read 1,866,317 times
Lived in Brooklyn (Williamsburg/Bushwick) for 2.5 years and never saw a rat in Brooklyn, but would see them on the tracks nearly daily in Manhattan. Never saw one in a building though or on the street, so they never bothered me.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
No way! I can't even walk on my block when the garbage is out.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 PM

57 posts, read 196,714 times
More anecdotal evidence: in my two years in NYC, I have seen my fair share of rats, but most of them were on the tracks in subway stations. The only two noteworthy exceptions: on a 6 train (and I'm not talking about the viral video), and in a friend's staircase - the latter one was particularly weird as the rat was passing the three of us while we were climbing up the stairs.

I definitely feel that the issue is way overhyped, but that may not be deliberate; as always it depends on your baseline for comparison. For any experienced global traveler, this is nothing - for anyone who has never been to a place with a real rat problem, seeing even a single rodent might already cause significant psychological trauma.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:07 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
When the Bronx River waterfront is developed there are going to be a whole lot of rats without a home. I just hope they can somehow assimilate themselves again to the new community.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times
My cousin lives in a beautiful brownstone - nice area of the City and she does see the occasional rat wonder into her backyard. Also, if anyone has been in Battery Park at Dusk, the rats take over. They quite literally chase the squirrels and act as if they own the park. LOL

Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 AM

215 posts, read 519,623 times
I see rats in subway occasionally, but on the tracks only, not the platform itself.
Rats on streets of Manhattan are quite rare.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:32 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,111,603 times
I've lived in the biggest cities in California for 10 years. Never once in my time here have I ever seen a rat/mouse. Not once. And since I've been reading the NYC forum here and saw the mention of rats on subway tracks, I've made it a point to stare at the SF subway tracks looking for them lol. Again, never once have I seen a rat. And I can't necessarily recall seeing any roaches ever, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City