U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 PM

1,656 posts, read 1,264,760 times
Default Oblivious people who CONSTANTLY have music in their ears.

I cant for the life of me understand why someone would want music in thier ears ALL THE TIME. I ride the train to/from work everyday and everyday I see a great deal of people with ipods/iphones blasting music into their ears and tuned out to the world. I see them standing at the edge of the platform looking for the train and if there was someone right behind them ready to push them in, they wouldnt even know it because they're too focused on jamming to their favorite tunes. I see them crossing the streets almost getting killed because they dont hear the car honking or the bicyclist yelling out to them.

Maybe its just me but I like to be alert when on the streets of NYC. I want to be able to hear if theres something going down around me. Do I like music? Sure! I have my music on when at the gym, in my car, at home, or at a bar/lounge. I'll even have my earbuds handy with me while on the train just in case I have the luxury of sitting next to a crying child or 2 chatty women.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, why would anyone want to have music in their ears all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 PM

3,197 posts, read 3,150,246 times
Listening while commuting is hardly 'all the time'. And you can listen to music and still be completely alert.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:22 PM

1,416 posts, read 1,396,164 times
For myself, I am frequently listening to talk radio podcasts. So, I get the break from music. Also, talk radio podcasts aren't as loud or distracting as music generally anyway.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:32 PM

1,068 posts, read 968,052 times
I love having background music, but I play it very lightly. It's just pleasant, nothing more to it. I don't get the people who blast it, though. That's just rude.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:13 AM

3,691 posts, read 2,318,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I cant for the life of me understand why someone would want music in thier ears ALL THE TIME. I ride the train to/from work everyday and everyday I see a great deal of people with ipods/iphones blasting music into their ears and tuned out to the world. I see them standing at the edge of the platform looking for the train and if there was someone right behind them ready to push them in, they wouldnt even know it because they're too focused on jamming to their favorite tunes. I see them crossing the streets almost getting killed because they dont hear the car honking or the bicyclist yelling out to them.

Maybe its just me but I like to be alert when on the streets of NYC. I want to be able to hear if theres something going down around me. Do I like music? Sure! I have my music on when at the gym, in my car, at home, or at a bar/lounge. I'll even have my earbuds handy with me while on the train just in case I have the luxury of sitting next to a crying child or 2 chatty women.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, why would anyone want to have music in their ears all the time?
Because people are not smart.

It is first of all the music, but more importantly the ways in which they are training their brains into a kind of constant distraction mode. This compromises thinking ability in a major way. There is already writing about this, something about which people have zero awareness because ... well, see comment above.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:05 AM

12,008 posts, read 10,831,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Because people are not smart.

It is first of all the music, but more importantly the ways in which they are training their brains into a kind of constant distraction mode. This compromises thinking ability in a major way. There is already writing about this, something about which people have zero awareness because ... well, see comment above.

BINGO!!!

the best is the people with ear phones in their ears crossing streets and not even looking.

we have a large amount of stupid people living here.

I don't walk around with the earphone in my ears, it is too distracting to me.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,844,069 times
I get what you're saying and I'm kind of guilty of this to a degree.

When I'm walking in the city, it just helps me get to where I got to get to much faster and keeps me awake and energized. Oddly enough, it keeps me alert in some way. Since my ears are listening to music as I am walking and are obviously blocked of hearing outside noise, my sight happen to be more alert and a few feet before I hit the sidewalk to cross the street, I lower the volume to hear any bikers are on coming cars.

When I'm on the train, I keep my volume at a minimum to hear what's going on around me and if there's any train alerts. I only blast it if some annoying loud mouths are on the train and I can't stand to hear them. Of course when I'm shopping, I turn off my device and/or music.

It is annoying when people CONSTANTLY need their music for every single little thing. I noticed this thing when I went to college, some people would have their music on FULL BLAST while they were in the building....

Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 AM

6,090 posts, read 3,415,660 times
I get the impression that it is just
kind of anti-social; basically to keep
random guys in public places from
talking to all the pretty girls lol.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:24 AM

5,979 posts, read 3,726,801 times
I listen to music during my commute every day because: a) I don't want to hear the loud and ridiculous phone conversations, b) I don't want to hear other people blasting music that I don't like and c) I don't want to hear the ridiculous conversations between people, whether they be in English or a foreign language. I used to read books all the time but with all the noise around, I found I just couldn't focus on the book. I don't like reading while I have music on because then I tend to not really focus on the book. Like someone else said, you can certainly be alert while listening to music. My peeve is people who walk and text and are not alert, but that's a whole other topic.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 AM

81 posts, read 67,134 times
Sometimes I keep my headphones in without even listening to music. It blocks out the annoying/ ear-damaging train noise and keeps weirdos from talking to me. I think a lot of people do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City