Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 09:53 PM

432 posts, read 551,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I don't know about the second part - PAPD not refusing to hire NYPD, but the first part about NYPD not releasing records is/was definitely true. Not just to PAPD, though, they wouldn't release to FBI/ATF/DEA/USSS/any other possible agency that officers might want to get hired with.
100% sure the PAPD refused to hire any NYPD cops circa 2006/07 due to the NYPD not releasing personnel records. Basically if you were prior NYPD they wanted every last detail of your police career (dept vehicle accidents, CCRB, evaluations etc) and as soon as NYPD said no, you were put on the shelf. However, if you worked for UPS, Verizon or ConEd previously they weren't asking how many times you crashed the truck or received a customer complaint. Complete double standard IMO. At orientation the PAPD called out all former NYPD to a separate room and said thanks but no thanks, we can't hire you because we really need to find out (the name of everyone you arrested 10 years ago so we can call them up, how many department vehicles you crashed, how many CCRB you received etc) and the NYPD isn't giving that to us.

The NYPD did release the records as a courtesy after 9/11 and a bunch of guys rolled over with a 3 week academy basically teaching NJ law. But all of that was a long time ago now and good luck to whoever is trying to roll over in 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 10:58 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
100% sure the PAPD refused to hire any NYPD cops circa 2006/07 due to the NYPD not releasing personnel records. Basically if you were prior NYPD they wanted every last detail of your police career (dept vehicle accidents, CCRB, evaluations etc) and as soon as NYPD said no, you were put on the shelf. However, if you worked for UPS, Verizon or ConEd previously they weren't asking how many times you crashed the truck or received a customer complaint. Complete double standard IMO. At orientation the PAPD called out all former NYPD to a separate room and said thanks but no thanks, we can't hire you because we really need to find out (the name of everyone you arrested 10 years ago so we can call them up, how many department vehicles you crashed, how many CCRB you received etc) and the NYPD isn't giving that to us.

The NYPD did release the records as a courtesy after 9/11 and a bunch of guys rolled over with a 3 week academy basically teaching NJ law. But all of that was a long time ago now and good luck to whoever is trying to roll over in 2016.
The past three classes. Anyone that was nypd was automatically disqualified. This time with the 114 class, NYPD went through the processing. Some nypd even got hired, but they have to resign as nypd meaning they have to turn in shield, gun, rank drops back down. I'm not too sure about Union credits if they transfer. nypd have to complete the academy all over again with the PAPD. I remember going for the background check. I spoke to one guy who was nypd. I said hey, how come your here and your with the nypd. Aren't you supposed to be disqualified? The candidate said no, PA is letting him through the processing. In matter of fact some many nypd were disqualified in 113, the port authority invited them for the 114 class. The port authority change their hiring practice after the Hoboken bar incident which scarred the integrity of the port authority police in 2014.

If your an nypd and going for PAPD. You better have a clean record employee record. I remember reading one form a guy got disqualified due to lawsuits on the job. And believe me, NYPD employees can rack up plenty of lawsuits against them and still remain employed.
Psych is hard though. Psych lady told me. You have a 4 year degree. Why do you want to be a PA officer. Usually we hire those with 2 years degrees and military. Clearly I was over qualified. Some of my fellow candidates told me I should be with the Feds and not with a local agency.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-16-2016 at 11:13 PM..

Old 10-17-2016, 07:41 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Clearly I was over qualified. Some of my fellow candidates told me I should be with the Feds and not with a local agency.
Tell them that you would never get hired by the Feds without some serious experience or specialized language skills. Anyways, when are you finally becoming a cop?

Old 10-18-2016, 06:49 AM

432 posts, read 551,319 times
The PAPD is not governed by civil service and can basically hire whoever they feel like hiring.

Same thing with tolls, they keep raising them to fund real estate projects and apparently the PA goes unquestioned on this.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:51 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
The PAPD is not governed by civil service and can basically hire whoever they feel like hiring.

Same thing with tolls, they keep raising them to fund real estate projects and apparently the PA goes unquestioned on this.
The final say is with the two governors, as you know. The "PA" making those decisions are the 12 guys, 6 NJ, and 6 NY, serving as commissioners, appointed by their governors, doing what they were appointed to do by the guy YOU thought was so great you elected him head of your state and his cohort across the river.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The past three classes. Anyone that was nypd was automatically disqualified. This time with the 114 class, NYPD went through the processing. Some nypd even got hired, but they have to resign as nypd meaning they have to turn in shield, gun, rank drops back down. I'm not too sure about Union credits if they transfer. nypd have to complete the academy all over again with the PAPD. I remember going for the background check. I spoke to one guy who was nypd. I said hey, how come your here and your with the nypd. Aren't you supposed to be disqualified? The candidate said no, PA is letting him through the processing. In matter of fact some many nypd were disqualified in 113, the port authority invited them for the 114 class. The port authority change their hiring practice after the Hoboken bar incident which scarred the integrity of the port authority police in 2014.

If your an nypd and going for PAPD. You better have a clean record employee record. I remember reading one form a guy got disqualified due to lawsuits on the job. And believe me, NYPD employees can rack up plenty of lawsuits against them and still remain employed.
Psych is hard though. Psych lady told me. You have a 4 year degree. Why do you want to be a PA officer. Usually we hire those with 2 years degrees and military. Clearly I was over qualified. Some of my fellow candidates told me I should be with the Feds and not with a local agency.
I'm going through Port Authority Psych right now. Interview next month. I also have a 4 year degree, idk how they can grill me on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City