U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 19,738 times
Default Best way to soundproof apt ceiling? (footfall noise)

After I tried all other options, I've decided to soundproof the ceiling of my apartment to block out the footfall noise of my upstairs neighbors.
Can anyone suggest the best way to do this? Thank you SO MUCH for guidance/suggestions/names etc.
Do you know anyone in a residential apt in NYC who has done this? Thanks.

(P.S. Yes they already got carpets but it barely helped, they won't get carpet pads --though I would pay for some if they worked?
Would good carpet pads help? I'm desperate & I'll pay for them! I already considered moving, decided against it. I own my apartment.
I'm in a pre-war building if that makes a difference. It's unbearably loud & super stressful. Thanks again.)

Last edited by desperatelyseekingsilence; 04-07-2012 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: grammar fix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:12 PM

596 posts, read 638,132 times
I've heard that putting those cardboard drink trays they give you at McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts helps. I knew a band who practiced in a residential building and did that and hardly had any complaints. You know the things I'm talking about? They're kind of like those cartons that eggs come in, except they're meant for holding coffee?

Also you can go to a music store and some of them sell this foam rubber stuff you can put on the wall, but I doubt you'd want it in your apartment it's kind of ugly. But, then again, you probably don't want coffee holders all over your ceiling either...unless you're going for the bohemian look

Maybe you can ask your upstairs neighbor to wear slippers or sneakers in the house?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:39 AM

518 posts, read 719,254 times
OP I am in the same boat you as you - I read a drop ceiling with sound proofing can do it - but for me it was cost prohibitive- and my ceiling height is already a shockingly low 10 feet -If i lost another foot or so id feel like I was living under ground.

I was thinking of going upstairs and just killing them. Probably stop the noise.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:41 PM

6,621 posts, read 10,702,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
OP I am in the same boat you as you - I read a drop ceiling with sound proofing can do it - but for me it was cost prohibitive- and my ceiling height is already a shockingly low 10 feet -If i lost another foot or so id feel like I was living under ground.
I hope you are kidding about a 10 foot ceiling being shockingly low. New construction condos are often built with 8 foot ceilings. Also many pre-wars have "high" ceilings that are actually only 9 feet high. I consider a 10 foot ceiling luxuriously high.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:02 PM

596 posts, read 638,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I hope you are kidding about a 10 foot ceiling being shockingly low. New construction condos are often built with 8 foot ceilings. Also many pre-wars have "high" ceilings that are actually only 9 feet high. I consider a 10 foot ceiling luxuriously high.
Especially if it's vaulted. I don't get why but people seem to love vaulted ceilings. I don't think I'd like it personally, I'd feel as though I was living in somebody's attic.

But, on the other hand, you wouldn't have to put up with any footfall noise from above I guess

Old 04-08-2012, 07:10 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,017,907 times
Dropped Ceilings are ugly as sin.

If they will put in carpet pads, your paying for them would be a bargain for you. Thing is you need to have most of the place covered or you'll still hear them when they are walking on the bare floor.

Yeah, I have 8 foot ceilings too and I'm over 6 feet so a dropped ceiling would be like a burial.

(Aha, I FINALLY thought of a reason for being on the top floor of a 6th floor walkup.)

Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 PM

3,160 posts, read 3,023,752 times
A friend used cork tiles on her wall and it helped a lot. Maybe that's an option for you.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:23 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,017,907 times
I lived under someone who woke at 5 AM and put on her high heels and walked: tap, tap, tap.......click, click, click....SILENCE...tap, tap, tapity, tap tap...silence...click, click, click. This went on for 1/2 hour and stopped and I got back to sleep.
Next morning at 5...same thing.

After 2 months it stopped and I presume she either moved out, died, was fired, or realized she would be more comfortable going to work in sneakers and putting the Manholos on at her desk.

It was not particularly loud, just loud enough to wake me, but at 5AM, EVERYTHING is loud.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:01 AM

518 posts, read 719,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
wow perception is reality I guess, Henna - i come from a private house - we had 12 foot ceilings ever where - the coop I'm in now has 10 foot ceilings, being 6 feet tall it feels low - I had no idea new construction was doing them 8 - 9 feet - wow. Id feel like the 50 foot woman living so close to the ceiling.

When I saw some of the older buildings before this place, the ceiling were much higher, and there was the blessed silence of no foot falls form above - I have a 550 lb neighbor (thats a conservative guess) who wears orthopedic shoes and drags his carcass around from the fridge to the sofa 10 times a day. the rest of the time his wife is clicking around in her high heeled boots and their son drags his feet in his Timberlands - wow I know WAY too much about these people....

Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 AM

8,752 posts, read 8,611,515 times
My apt ceilings are almost 11 feet (I had to remove the 8 foot drop ceiling to get to them though). The 2 rental apts above me at 9.5 ceilings. Having high ceilings are great, so long as you aren't paying for your own heat!!!!!!!!!!!! I pay for my own, and so do my tenants, so while they are great, you do pay for the priviledge IF you pay your own heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City