Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:55 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,229,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphyr View Post
My friend ... pushed through behind me
End of story. You're both guilty. There's no "my friend told me that his card didn't work, so I let him squeeze through with me" defense.
Quote:
What bother's me isn't the fine, ... but the principle
Sure. Your subequent rants belie this.
Quote:
It seems to me that the MTA wants to haggle anyone and everyone with fines, when they have part of the blame for this for providing inadequate staffing and inadequate facilities while escalating fare prices.
Why is there any need, for booth staff at all, especially at every entrance, to every station, at all times? Mass transit systems in some other cities rely entirely on electronic ticketing.
If your friend's card doesn't work, that's his problem, not yours. He should buy a new MetroCard, and seek a refund.
Quote:
It also seems to me that officers should receive better training when dealing with civilians, when they are trying to explain predicaments that I am sure they themselves saw.
Because, they've never heard your excuse before. A thousand times before.
Quote:
Shouldn't my citation then be "Allowed other rider to evade fair, buy doubling up with the use of an unlimited" ... It just doesn't seem right to me. I am just trying to be as technical as a judge.
"Fare evasion" is fare evasion.
Quote:
I feel that the self-employeed part will only bring me more problems in the future. ... wouldn't that warrant an a possible audit report from NY State as I just received my state refund check?
Don't you think that this seem a little bit paranoid?
Quote:
NYers have been groomed to be raped by the man. I guess justice in this country is indeed non-existent.
Perhaps more than a little bit? Seriously, "raped"? "Non-existent justice"?
In a thread that you began, by telling us all, that you permitted your friend to pass through a turnstile with you, on your MetroCard!
Quote:
Completely despicable and epically disturbing.
My thought exactly. Only, about your posts.
Quote:
The unfair justice system is beyond ridiculous. ... This city is a cesspool of bull****. Graduation can not come any sooner.
Good luck in your future life, in another city.

Last edited by bigjake54; 04-09-2012 at 12:13 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 AM

16 posts, read 122,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
End of story. You're both guilty. There's no "my friend told me that his card didn't work, so I let him squeeze through with me" defense.

Sure. Your subequent rants belie this.

Why is there any need, for booth staff at all, especially at every entrance, to every station, at all times? Mass transit systems in some other cities rely entirely on electronic ticketing.
If your friend's card doesn't work, that's his problem, not yours. He should buy a new MetroCard, and seek a refund.

Because, they've never heard your excuse before. A thousand times before.

"Fare evasion" is fare evasion.

Don't you think that this seem a little bit paranoid?
Obviously this discussion has been resolved per my other post thanking everyone for their help, we are obviously paying for our fine COB Tuesday. But since people keep posting to ask questions I am now just providing an anecdotes that express how unfair the system is; in hopes that they may somehow help others or provide comic relief to those residing outside New York. Tell me what my friend experienced with the gang on the train is legal and why I do not have a right to rant about being locked in a train with strangers and no lighting.

This post is no longer simply about fare evasion, but the inequality of the justice system and incompetence of transit authorities in major cities.

Last edited by Zaphyr; 04-09-2012 at 12:29 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 12:14 AM

If you think standing up to inequality and exercising ones legal right to discussion is disgusting then maybe you deserve no rights.

Moderator cut: Off-topic Moderator cut: Personal attack

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-09-2012 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 04-09-2012, 12:15 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,229,409 times
Quote:
This post is no longer simply about fare evasion, but the inequality of the justice system and incompetence of transit authorities in major cities.
Or, your total overreaction to being caught.
Quote:
If you think standing up to inequality and exercising ones legal right to discussion is disgusting then maybe you deserve no rights.
Where's the inequality, in you being issued a summons, like every other farebeater? What's incompetent about the authorities catching you? Or, waiting until Times Square to "take action"?
Moderator cut: Orphaned commentary

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-09-2012 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - the portion of a prior post to which yours referred was removed.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Or, your total overreaction to being caught.
If that is what you see so be it. You were not in my predicament. But you are entitled to your beliefs. If you believe smoking weed, urinating on the train, locking riders in the darkness without lighting, and conducting gang activity on the train and getting away with it is ok then my "overreaction" should be the least of your worries.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Zaphyr,

Since you seem to feel it was only your friend who evaded the fare by pushing through the turnstile with you, how about getting your friend to pay your $100 fee.

Posit this question: you drive friends to rob a bank and then drive them away, but you have no intention of taking any of the money and indeed do not. When you are all apprehended again, would you consider yourself innocent? Would you expect to be let off?

Quote:
Shouldn't my citation then be "Allowed other rider to evade fair, buy doubling up with the use of an unlimited"
The more concise charge works: FARE EVASION. Absent your participation, a fare evasion would not have occurred...that's "aiding and abetting."

Here's a VERY common scenario...someone who looks down on his luck stands outside one of the "iron maiden" type exits/entrances and asks "If you have an unlimited card can you buzz me in?"
What is your feeling about someone who does buzz him in? Do you see it differently from your situation?

(Gotta wonder how many of those "can you buzz me in" types are actually COPS!)

In truth, if the same thing happened to me I would feel I had been screwed, but I would have blamed my FRIEND instead of the cop who wrote the ticket based on what he clearly saw.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:01 AM

Default keep posting?

Quick update: I already paid my fine, I dont understand why this thread is still alive. There is no point in even doing the hearings since there is a dmv wait to tell your story to a person in a teller booth.

Also for people that may be in the same situation do not fear they have payment plans, but I paid in full because their office is extremely far.

Ok the cop may have written what he saw but there was no need for the other lies on our citation such as refusal of social, eviction from the station and giving me a false occupation. Do you believe the cop was correct in doing that? I was trying to see of my ticket could be voided due to lies on the reporting not fare evasion itself, but since hearings last 15 minutes and the wait is 3 hours+ and having to come in additional days, you end up losing more by not going to work or school. Going the extra mile isn't worth it if you can afford to pay and be done with it.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,783,797 times
When it comes to this city generating any kind of revenue don't count on winning anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City