Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:50 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,782,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
God Forbid.
A local native beggar said it was his birthday..and he was trying to raise enough for a bottle....I had a gin at home...went and relaxed...by the time I was jolly and leaking good will...I poured off some the the big bottle - found out what dive hotel he was in---went and knocked on his door...and brought him a little bottle ...he was tankful...told me that it lasted him three days.

I know his history..He is a frail little guy who dedicated himself to his dying mother who finally passed from kidney failure---I respect him...I did the same for my mum...now when he sees me coming down the street he always mutters "Here comes trouble"--what he means is ...Here comes the guy who makes less trouble and the world a bit better....it is a great satisfaction and compliment to be loved by even the lowest of the low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 02:31 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,135,527 times
My friend told me a bit ago that they would find the real people in need by offering to take them to get food. Most would be like nah. I feel like there are plenty of places for the homeless to go when they need help. But I also believe people should donate to homeless shelters and places where the money will be used responsibly.

Do you think giving the bum on the street anything to do with money is a good idea? He is on the street because he doesn't manage his money.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:52 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,782,792 times
When you have next to no money - managing it is almost out of the question...if a beggar is smart..he will tap into state resources and at least put a roof over his head..once that is done..and the they pay a few small bills...eat a meal or two- they are broke.

At the corner there is this old hotel above a well know strip club...the place is full of welfare cases...The rooms without cooking facilities and most without private bathrooms cost 500 dollars a month...the gov send them 580 dollars...there is not much left...BUt here in Toronto the gov will give them as much pharma product as they want or need...so most are drugged...and half starved...every few months they take a body out--IT hidden...a hidden CANADIAN SHAME...kind of a slow type of genocide.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 PM

878 posts, read 2,008,150 times
You could say I am pretty shallow when it comes to who to give. But it's true though, some people aren't actually homeless and do it just to get a few bucks, which is sad. Sometimes you don't know who is really homeless and who is not. I kind of judge them on their smell...looks don't always do justice. If people are really disabled, etc. I give them money.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:10 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,785,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Do you think giving the bum on the street anything to do with money is a good idea? He is on the street because he doesn't manage his money.
So he should starve?

MAN!--people are just plain old heartless.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 AM

141 posts, read 352,746 times
Sometimes I give them an opportunity to be honest with me. Not long ago I met a drunken bum at Woodlawn who asked me for money. He reeked of beer. I told him, dude, if you just tell me you want money for beer, I'll give it to you. He insisted, no no ma'am, I don't drink. OK so why do you smell like a brewery! I had to laugh and gave him some change anyway. I'm not above helping, but I can't even pay my rent this month so I'm not going to hand away money left and right. If I had tons of cash I'd love to help everyone but that's not the case.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:56 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,076,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
So he should starve?

Agreed! he is laying in the snow, Hungry and at the mercy of the elements. Why is it we only want to help others when their trouble is not "Their fault?" Point is, You have a human being laying on the cold, hard floor in the ice and snow. Not even a dog should go through this.

Looking at that photo i wonder if he is still alive even...Jeez.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,196,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think that many of the less fortunate became that way by the decisions that they made in life, of not wanting to do well in school, of not getting a job and working hard, not doing drugs or booze, etc. Most just decided to take the easy way out. The longer that they spend on the lowest rung of life, the more they seem to get stuck there.

When I think of the people I know who have had some financial hard luck, any sane person could see where they caused that 'luck'.

One person, a professional, only worked a few days a week. Her finances are not my business, but when I mentioned/reminded her that she should be saving for retirement, I get 'the universe(God) will take care of me. In her spare time she arranges for interfaith seminars and the like. Her dog became ill and she hit up all her friends for donations. I am not
'the universe', thank you.

Another person I really nagged into going to school when she worked at a clerical job. This was when colleges in the city were really cheap for residents. After ten or fifteen years of my nagging, she went to some not too great community college, joked about not doing homework, dropped out. Her place of business moved, leaving her with no job and not able to get one. She is on the dole and also working sweeping the floors at a fast food place.

No, I really think the majority of people who do badly would not see 'luck' if it hit them on the head. They refuse to take part in the crap parts of life, which is working in not so great jobs and putting up with not so great co workers and bosses and the day to day slog. They were somehow above that. I think they use people and prey on the sympathy and kindness of others.

Sad, but nothing will change for them unless they change their heads. Sometimes that means hitting bottom and pulling out of it themselves.
I really think this post hits the nail on the head for a good portion of people (not all..but a good portion). If I look at myself, any financial issues I have ever had I did it to myself. Espescially when I was younger..OMG..I cant believe the cash I blew through on stupid stuff. Im better now, but even so any little issue I might have, I can clearly see where it has been NOTHING but my own doing and being careless with my money.

People dont seem to know how to (1) manage their money (2) prepare for the future. Having a good grip on how to manage your finances can mean the difference between living comfortable with low debt and a decent nest egg, and living paycheck to paycheck wih no savings for a rainy day.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:15 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,196,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
So he should starve?

Oh please...he wont starve if he doesnt want to. There ARE places that give meals. And I bet if these people had a sign that read " I would only like some food....no money", I bet they would get twice the amount of responses from people. Many more people would probably give food. But MOST ask for money. Hmmm..why is that? Because they want the money, so they can buy the drugs/booze along with the hotdog. The closest thing I have seen to asking for food are signs that say "Will work for food". And I can count on one hand the times I have seen that.

And i'm curious. Perhaps someone that loves looking up statistics or doing research can answer this. With all the homeless people here in the United States, of those who died......how many died from violence/drugs/booze/illness/accidents....and how many starved?? Im curious cause when I see these beggars, they dont look like a bunch of skin and bones Ethiopians or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City