Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this the most pretentious nonsense you've ever seen?
Yes. Yes it is. 7 77.78%
Indeed 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

This is really a useless thread and bashes bee keeping, bees help pollinate hundreds of floral specimens in a day it takes humans a couple dozen trees and plants to pollinate probably in a average working day. However bees should be kept in preserves in city parks or outside the city. Sadly bee keeping is nothing new to new York city. With these Hipsters they all do some crazy stuff just to get attention due to living in a heavy attention helicopter parent lifestyle, sadly us new yorkers lack getting attention from their parents or showing any attention to their kids.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Sorry fella, I assumed that the NYC school system taught you to also conclude that the quote I posted in the OP was what I am referring to.

Brooklyn Homesteader
I considered that, but since the quote did NOT say "megan is FROM maryland" I thought there must be some other quote you are referring to.

Clearly you are confused by the difference between "I am from X" and "X is my hometown"

I would never call DC or Fairfax my hometown. The quote said she lives in brooklyn, and her hometown is in maryland. Where she is FROM depends on context, and in the context of the video thats clearly where she currently lives, works, and keeps bees.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is really a useless thread and bashes bee keeping, bees help pollinate hundreds of floral specimens in a day it takes humans a couple dozen trees and plants to pollinate probably in a average working day. However bees should be kept in preserves in city parks or outside the city. Sadly bee keeping is nothing new to new York city. With these Hipsters they all do some crazy stuff just to get attention due to living in a heavy attention helicopter parent lifestyle, sadly us new yorkers lack getting attention from their parents or showing any attention to their kids.

Nobody is bashing bee keeping, buddy.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

I got stung by wild bees (or yellow jackets?) in staten Island in the 1960s, when one of my fellow cub scouts accidentally kicked over a nest. I doubt the same danger is present here. There are flowers in NYC, I guess they need local bees to pollinate them?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I considered that, but since the quote did NOT say "megan is FROM maryland" I thought there must be some other quote you are referring to.

Clearly you are confused by the difference between "I am from X" and "X is my hometown"

I would never call DC or Fairfax my hometown. The quote said she lives in brooklyn, and her hometown is in maryland. Where she is FROM depends on context, and in the context of the video thats clearly where she currently lives, works, and keeps bees.

That doesn't make it true that she is "from" here. Your context argument is silly in this circumstance. Why people can't just own where they're from is very odd. There is no pride apparently.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times
Quote:
That doesn't make it true that she is "from" here. Your context argument is silly in this circumstance. Why people can't just own where they're from is very odd. There is no pride apparently.
So if she only said, Hi my name is Megan and I live in BK, NY (instead of from), that would make you satisfied, right?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
So if she only said, Hi my name is Megan and I live in BK, NY (instead of from), that would make you satisfied, right?

Well she wouldn't be lying, so that would work yeah. Or "based out of Brooklyn". How difficult is that to do?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I think my context "argument" represents actual English usage. Again, look at the widespread use of "I am originally from X", a usage that would not be necessary if "I am from X" always meant "I am originally from X"

Old 04-10-2012, 11:01 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times
Quote:
Well she wouldn't be lying, so that would work yeah. Or "based out of Brooklyn". How difficult is that to do?
I hear ya. I still think it's whatever though. Not like she is a rapper or a gang member trying to falsely claim turf to look more hood, she's just a harmless hipsta lol She posted some bee vid on her site, it's like who cares, ya know.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:01 AM

"
Quote:

That would imply something totally different.

Client in Omaha "Where are you from"

"Im based out of our Alexandria office, but I currently live in baltimore."

"wow, thats a long commute - you dont sound like you have a maryland accent"

"Thats cause I Brooklyn is my hometown"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City