Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 AM

207 posts, read 513,018 times

Advertisements

Your logic was/is sound. My name comes from a blog I run...I didn't really think twice when I carried it over here...mad is short for madness, as in, crazy. It comes from a quote. But yeah, I'd use the same logic as you did...and I actually do pertaining the user name thing.

And my girlfriend went up to the cop, and when she did, the intersection had been dead for around 6 minutes.

It's actually not a 4 way intersection, but a 3-way. And after she spoke to him, he disappeared several minutes later. The intersection was still dead.

The way he was directing traffic actually resulted in everyone breaking the 2 second rule, but that's another story...in the end, his actions resulted in a better commute for everyone in the area...probably as big as a 2 mile radius. Broome St. and Chrystie if anyone wants to see the intersection.

But yeah, I'm sorry if I come of as the NWA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,843,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Mad View Post
Your logic was/is sound. My name comes from a blog I run...I didn't really think twice when I carried it over here...mad is short for madness, as in, crazy. It comes from a quote. But yeah, I'd use the same logic as you did...and I actually do pertaining the user name thing.

And my girlfriend went up to the cop, and when she did, the intersection had been dead for around 6 minutes.

It's actually not a 4 way intersection, but a 3-way. And after she spoke to him, he disappeared several minutes later. The intersection was still dead.

The way he was directing traffic actually resulted in everyone breaking the 2 second rule, but that's another story...in the end, his actions resulted in a better commute for everyone in the area...probably as big as a 2 mile radius. Broome St. and Chrystie if anyone wants to see the intersection.

But yeah, I'm sorry if I come of as the NWA.
Sorry if I jumped all over you. It has been a strange morning.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:02 AM

991 posts, read 1,766,620 times
Quote:
So I was driving my girlfriends car down Chrystie St. We were stopped at a red light behind 20 other cars stopped at this red light and the one ahead of it.

There's a cop directing traffic and letting people fill the intersection or turn left on a red left turn light.

We've been stopped for a few seconds now when---BAM---we get hit from behind.

This girl must've been texting or something...I have no idea...her excuse was "I thought you guys were gonna go."

I don't even know what that means...if we were 'going to go' she should have waited for my brake lights to no longer be lit.

IMO.

Anyway, I call 911...and then we wait.

Called the 5th Precinct and get this lady who didn't speak very good English, but relayed to us that cops have to deal with tolls (I thought they would be on the island already) or something and we should call back in 15 to 30 minutes.

Okay.

One minute later, my girlfriend goes over to the traffic cop who has been 20 ft away this whole time (it's been about 30 minutes already now).

Her: Hi, we called 911 and they said that the police would be here shortly...we were rear ended. It's been about 40 minutes now.
Traffic Cop: Anyone injured?
Her: No.
Traffic Cop: You're gonna have to wait a while.

Cops show up ten minutes later....so I guess it's been almost an hour.

Long story short...they pretty much laughed at the damage. It was very small...but in case of any back or neck pain, we wanted the report.

They say we could have gotten the scratches just by parking in NYC and that we should work something out with the girl who hit us. My girlfriend asks if he's saying we shouldn't file a report.

Then the second cop speaks: "Whoa, whoa...we are NOT saying that...we're just sayin'...it's a small scratch...you'd have to pay a deductible if you went through insurance...but maybe you two could work something out. Get a quote. And if she doesn't agree to ya terms, then you have 10 days to file the report."

The basically say this one more time but in different words and made sure to repeat: "We are not telling you not to file a report, BUT..."

I was in the car the whole time but heard all of this.

And before parting ways, they asked what was leaking under the car of the girl who hit us...she said anti-freeze...etc...it was all irrelevant...they were probably flirting with her.

Her plates were from Vermont....license from Staten Island...random tidbit.

But yeah, how would you have handled the situation?
This is not a 911 emergency. This kind of accident can be reported in two ways. One is a call to the local precinct and then dealt with after the emergency. The second and best way to do it is to exchange details (all details including license, registration and insurance) and then attend the local precinct and self-report the accident. I mean this is the example of when not to call 911.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,898,341 times
I was rear-ended just like you about 1 yr ago. Unlike in your situation, the damage to my car was substantial, so a police report was definitely needed. The report basically validated my story and place most of the blame on the guy who hit me.
I think you did the right thing by getting the report, now if the damage to your car is not big, then try to arrange something with the other party. Maybe she can take it to her own car body-shop. It would be in her best interest to do this if she doesn't wanna through the insurance company.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Sorry if I jumped all over you. It has been a strange morning.
Same! It's all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
This is not a 911 emergency. This kind of accident can be reported in two ways. One is a call to the local precinct and then dealt with after the emergency. The second and best way to do it is to exchange details (all details including license, registration and insurance) and then attend the local precinct and self-report the accident. I mean this is the example of when not to call 911.
I will agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I was rear-ended just like you about 1 yr ago. Unlike in your situation, the damage to my car was substantial, so a police report was definitely needed. The report basically validated my story and place most of the blame on the guy who hit me.
I think you did the right thing by getting the report, now if the damage to your car is not big, then try to arrange something with the other party. Maybe she can take it to her own car body-shop. It would be in her best interest to do this if she doesn't wanna through the insurance company.
We live in NJ and she lives in Staten Island (or Vermont...who knows)...we actually didn't file the report and will be getting several quotes on the 'damage' and forwarding it to her. It would have been great to go through a mechanic of her choice, but we live in two different areas.

One time my mom got rear-ended by one of her co-workers, didn't do a police report (co-worker said they didn't need to involve the police....co-workers right?), got a quote for the damage ($500), and her co-worker thought the quote was too much and just brushed the whole thing off. My mom paid for the whole thing herself.

This will always cross my mind when in an accident from now on.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:56 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,351,992 times
I got rear ended once, but I was in college and very drunk...and it's college anyway and you are supposed to experiment right? Oh wait..what's the thread about?

Old 04-10-2012, 12:10 PM

I misread your user name for "SoberGuy" before reading your post lol

Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,843,627 times
Quote:
I misread your user name for "SoberGuy" before reading your post lol
Which is ironic on several different levels.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:41 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,233,009 times
Quote:
everyone is always told ... to file a police report. No matter what.
Don't know why. Insurance companies can't even seem to be able to get theft reports from NYPD Records. I don't know any other city, where an insurance company will process a claim without one.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 PM

33,930 posts, read 47,143,083 times
Quote:
So I was driving my girlfriends car down Chrystie St. We were stopped at a red light behind 20 other cars stopped at this red light and the one ahead of it.

There's a cop directing traffic and letting people fill the intersection or turn left on a red left turn light.

We've been stopped for a few seconds now when---BAM---we get hit from behind.

This girl must've been texting or something...I have no idea...her excuse was "I thought you guys were gonna go."

I don't even know what that means...if we were 'going to go' she should have waited for my brake lights to no longer be lit.

IMO.

Anyway, I call 911...and then we wait.

Called the 5th Precinct and get this lady who didn't speak very good English, but relayed to us that cops have to deal with tolls (I thought they would be on the island already) or something and we should call back in 15 to 30 minutes.

Okay.

One minute later, my girlfriend goes over to the traffic cop who has been 20 ft away this whole time (it's been about 30 minutes already now).

Her: Hi, we called 911 and they said that the police would be here shortly...we were rear ended. It's been about 40 minutes now.
Traffic Cop: Anyone injured?
Her: No.
Traffic Cop: You're gonna have to wait a while.

Cops show up ten minutes later....so I guess it's been almost an hour.

Long story short...they pretty much laughed at the damage. It was very small...but in case of any back or neck pain, we wanted the report.

They say we could have gotten the scratches just by parking in NYC and that we should work something out with the girl who hit us. My girlfriend asks if he's saying we shouldn't file a report.

Then the second cop speaks: "Whoa, whoa...we are NOT saying that...we're just sayin'...it's a small scratch...you'd have to pay a deductible if you went through insurance...but maybe you two could work something out. Get a quote. And if she doesn't agree to ya terms, then you have 10 days to file the report."

The basically say this one more time but in different words and made sure to repeat: "We are not telling you not to file a report, BUT..."

I was in the car the whole time but heard all of this.

And before parting ways, they asked what was leaking under the car of the girl who hit us...she said anti-freeze...etc...it was all irrelevant...they were probably flirting with her.

Her plates were from Vermont....license from Staten Island...random tidbit.

But yeah, how would you have handled the situation?
First accident???

You should have written down her information off her ID, taken her phone number and then presented her with 3 estimates from body shops around your way and tell her to pick 1. Nobody deals with insurance anymore unless the damage is severe.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City