Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:29 PM

17 posts, read 79,268 times

Advertisements

hi, I appreciate all of your kind responses (minus one person), much appreciated for your help.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 02:34 PM

17 posts, read 79,268 times
i've considered bay ridge - ive read overwhelmingly good things about it, as well as Kensington and Prospect Heights. I'll look into those places as well.

I'll be community to the Lower East Side to Avenue C and D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Where are you commuting to?

I personally wouldn't do either Harlem or The Bronx but that's just my personal preference.

With your budget, you should be aiming at securing a a studio, and maybe if lucky a 1br.

I would recommend neighborhoods in Brooklyn like Bay Rigde, Bensonhursts, Kengsinton, or Prospect heights.

I would also recommend neighborhoods in Queens like Sunnyside, Rego Park, Forest Hills and Kew Gardens.
All very safe, and with good transportation options.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,980,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
As someone who's been lurking for a long time, I'm baffled by some of the rents people throw around. You can EASILY get a 1BR in the south Bronx for $1,100 or less, though you wouldn't want to. You can get a studio in Harlem, Washington Heights, or Inwood for that much. I know someone who recently signed a lease for a 1 bedroom on Ft. Washington and 183rd--the nicest section of that neighborhood--for $1,125, though admittedly that's unusual.

Washington Heights or Inwood west of Broadway are probably the best combination of safety and affordability. They look remote on a map, but the A train is very fast and convenient. You can find a studio for your budget in those neighborhoods, and possibly even a 1 br if you have a lot of time to look and some luck.
Agreed. I don't even respond to these people anymore. My sister wanted to move out, and after a couple of hours searching, she found a 1 bedroom apartment in Inwood for $900 a month.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:00 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,641,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star80 View Post
hi all,

My question is, I'm a single girl looking to move to New York - by myself later this year.

my budget for rent is: 1100 (max)

location: based on my budget I can only afford Harlem, the Bronx and some parts of Brooklyn

subway: need easy access to the F train (work reasons)

type of apt: studio or 1bd

I would like to know what areas of Harlem, the Bronx and/or Brooklyn are safests for someone in my situation. I hear all the time conflicting stories of Harlem - how bad it is, etc. anyone i've known who lives there doesn't have any problems there. please help.

Thanks
FYI, F train doesn't go to Harlem or Bronx. Look at Brooklyn and Queens along the F line.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM

4,436 posts, read 7,636,945 times
nm

Old 04-11-2012, 01:12 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,025,835 times
It's not necessary to get a straight connection along the F line, a person can always transfer from one train to another.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,372 times
I need to know if you work And receive sec8 are there any areas you recommend for me looking towards Harlem

Old 05-18-2012, 05:24 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,155,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Most of NYC is extremely safe in general, so I think a lot of your anxiety is unwarranted. But I recommend all of Harlem west of Lexington.
Terrible advice. Of course some sections are much safer in in terms of violent crimes then others. There are census tracts in Central Harlem with the top per capita crime rates nationally. Don't judge individual neighborhoods on city wide stats that largely reflect socially sound neighborhoods.

Generally it is best to stay away from public housing and older, unrenovated apartment buildings. That's where the most poverty is concentrated, therefore the most crime and other issues. Harlem is also far ahead of the Bronx in terms of gentrification in most areas.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:17 AM

555 posts, read 1,179,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star80 View Post
hi all,

my question is, i'm a single girl looking to move to new york - by myself later this year.

My budget for rent is: 1100 (max)

location: Based on my budget i can only afford harlem,(sweety let me change this for you) east harlem the bronx and some parts of brooklyn

subway: Need easy access to the f train (work reasons)

type of apt: Studio or 1bd

i would like to know what areas of harlem, the bronx and/or brooklyn are safests for someone in my situation. I hear all the time conflicting stories of harlem - how bad it is, etc. Anyone i've known who lives there doesn't have any problems there. Please help.

Thanks
there you go

Old 05-18-2012, 08:24 AM

2,566 posts, read 5,484,440 times
I live in West Harlem (Hamilton Heights) and got my 1 bedroom about a year and a half ago for $1125. I think they're starting for more like $1,200 to $1,300 now, but you should easily be able to get a studio in your budget if you don't luck out with a 1 bedroom.

My girlfriend used to take the F for work and it's not a great commute, but its certainly doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City