Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:38 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,160,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by star80 View Post
hi all,

My question is, I'm a single girl looking to move to New York - by myself later this year.

my budget for rent is: 1100 (max)

location: based on my budget I can only afford Harlem, the Bronx and some parts of Brooklyn

subway: need easy access to the F train (work reasons)

type of apt: studio or 1bd

I would like to know what areas of Harlem, the Bronx and/or Brooklyn are safests for someone in my situation. I hear all the time conflicting stories of Harlem - how bad it is, etc. anyone i've known who lives there doesn't have any problems there. please help.

Thanks
For that amount you get much more bang for your buck in the bronx. Your choices would be limited in Harlem, whereas you could afford a wide chunk of the bx at that range. You have to weigh things. What is more important to you, commute time or getting a nicer apartment for your money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,160,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Agreed. I don't even respond to these people anymore. My sister wanted to move out, and after a couple of hours searching, she found a 1 bedroom apartment in Inwood for $900 a month.
Was it given to her as is?

Old 05-18-2012, 10:51 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,986,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Was it given to her as is?
Yeah, she saw the apartment, it did not need renovation or anything, and moved right in. Her Inwood block has alot of drug dealing but she does not feel unsafe.

People exaggerate the rent. Heck, I know a lady that pays $1,200 for 3 bedroom, on University ave north of Fordham.

This thing about rent being expensive is due to people looking for apartments in Manhattan below 96th street. Of course it's going to be expensive!

Old 05-18-2012, 06:20 PM

579 posts, read 941,685 times
I don't see why you all seem to think that Washington Heights, Inwood and Harlem are "Better" or "safer" than comparable areas of the Bronx. On what do you all base your opinions? I thik you're all still stuck in the historical perception about how bad th Bronx used tp be. That was ten or twenty years ago, and a lot has changed. Stop selling the Bronx short.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:33 PM

36,920 posts, read 38,838,960 times
Eh, I wonder why there aren't more recommendations for Brooklyn given that she needs to commute off the F train to the lower east side.

Once you get past park slope on the f train in brooklyn, you'll probably be able to find at least a studio within your budget. If you're willing to get a roommate, you'll find this much more doable (but then you'd have to make sure you get a good roommate).

Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 PM

343 posts, read 1,022,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I don't see why you all seem to think that Washington Heights, Inwood and Harlem are "Better" or "safer" than comparable areas of the Bronx. On what do you all base your opinions? I thik you're all still stuck in the historical perception about how bad th Bronx used tp be. That was ten or twenty years ago, and a lot has changed. Stop selling the Bronx short.
THIS!!!

You can get a 1 BR in Parkchester for $975-1100. 35 minutes to the LES. 45-55 with a transfer to the (F) or (J).

Even if you are in Central Harlem or Inwood the Commute would still be around the same.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:08 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,986,119 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:06 AM

119 posts, read 338,368 times
For people saying 1,100 can't get you anything thats laughable. One of my good friends lives in a studio in washington heights for 650 a month and another lives with roomates for 700-750 in harlem. Ridiculous, not everyone makes a lavish amount, doesnt mean you have to offer them the worst areas possible.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:30 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,156,283 times
Quote:
Agree, but disagree at the same time.

The bigger question is, why are we comparing a neighborhood to a collection of very different neighborhoods. I disagree that areas like Morrisania and East Tremont are in line with Harlem, but I agree we are too general.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 AM

579 posts, read 941,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Agree, but disagree at the same time.

The bigger question is, why are we comparing a neighborhood to a collection of very different neighborhoods. I disagree that areas like Morrisania and East Tremont are in line with Harlem, but I agree we are too general.
Kiddo,

All I'm saying is that I don't see any real difference between Harlem vs. the lower Concourse or Inwood vs. Bedford-Mosolu. Compare stats, commuting options, etc. I think the difference in perception is due to the lingering negative (and dated) perception about the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City