Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 01:26 PM

294 posts, read 261,360 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm all for buying local/American made products whenever I can (No, I'm not a Hipster) and when I made the decision to bike commute too work I researched to see if there were any local bike manufacturers in the area. I honestly didn't think there would be any since manufacturing is all but dead in this city, but I was pleasantly surprised to find Worksman Cycles right in my neighborhood. Worksman cycles is the oldest bicycle manufacturer left in the country and their bikes are built NYC tough right in Ozone Park. I went to the factory and purchased a bike and the people working there were super cool and stoked that I was buying a bike. Unfortunately, my Worksman got clipped one night, so I was in the market to find another bike. Upon my research of local companies I found Bowery Lane Bicycles. The owner was super cool and they make nice bikes for commuting in Williamsburg. Instead of getting another Worksman I went with Bowery Lane instead. The owner (Patrick) sold me a frame with a paint blemish for a price that I couldn't refuse. I couldn't be more happy with my bike (which I keep in my apartment now). I'm happy to support local businesses and ride a product that was made in my neck of the woods. I also found Horse Cycles in Gowanus. Nice bikes, but out of my price range. Anyone on this forum ride locally made bikes or know of a company that I might have missed? Pictures: 1. Worksman Brooklyn Cruiser 2. Bowery Lane Bones 3. Horse Cycles
Attached Thumbnails
NYC Bicycle manufacturers-bklynmen.jpg   NYC Bicycle manufacturers-544747_10151866510058327_1691457577_n.jpg   NYC Bicycle manufacturers-8590418300_5b2eafa8ec_o.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 PM

202 posts, read 219,998 times
If I were you I'd get a Dahon folding bike. You can find some under $300 on Craigslist. I guess it's not American, but it's super-convenient to have a bike you can collapse and carry into your apartment/work.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,497 times
Brooklyn Machine Works

Brooklyn Machine Works

Old 05-11-2015, 07:14 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,849,840 times
The U.S. has gone out of the manufacturing business...of anything. We live in a SERVICE economy.

We make movies and software and otherwise our economy is selling houses and our time (doctors, dentists, lawyers, prostitutes) to one another.

If you want a bike, you buy one from China like we all do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City