Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM

17 posts, read 79,268 times

Advertisements

hi all,

My question is, I'm a single girl looking to move to New York - by myself later this year.

my budget for rent is: 1100 (max)

location: based on my budget I can only afford Harlem, the Bronx and some parts of Brooklyn

subway: need easy access to the F train (work reasons)

type of apt: studio or 1bd

I would like to know what areas of Harlem, the Bronx and/or Brooklyn are safests for someone in my situation. I hear all the time conflicting stories of Harlem - how bad it is, etc. anyone i've known who lives there doesn't have any problems there. please help.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,289,434 times
Harlem. Many parts of the Bronx are just too far from gentrification and the nice parts are too far away from where you'll want to be.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:44 PM

17 posts, read 79,268 times
hi,

yes I agree the bronx is definitely not up my alley and all the good areas in the Bronx from what I've researched are WAY too far for me. What areas of Harlem are good i.e I won't be afraid once I step out my apt. I know that Harlem has lots of beautiful brownstones, but I am very concerned about the area.

I love Harlem's history too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Harlem. Many parts of the Bronx are just too far from gentrification and the nice parts are too far away from where you'll want to be.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,926,586 times
For a transplant like who came out of the woods Harlem might be best for you however Harlem does not coast 1100 in rent, even parts of gentrifying Bronx don't even cost that much either. You might have to find a hipster roommate.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,289,434 times
Most of NYC is extremely safe in general, so I think a lot of your anxiety is unwarranted. But I recommend all of Harlem west of Lexington.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:56 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,308,697 times
Star80..you are right the Bronx is not up your alley, but not for the reasons you state. You can't afford the Bronx, or rather anywhere in the Southern Bronx which would be close enough for a reasonable commute to the city. Forget about Harlem, that ship has sailed. Unless you are looking for a roommate, your $1,100 budget is kinda embarassing for someone who thinks they deserve anything. I mean, really. Sounds like Newark is more up your alley.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:57 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,204,128 times
You can get a renovated studio apt in Morrisania and Hunts Point for 650-800 with proximity to 2 and 6 trains but as you already know it's not going to be any nice area.

Washington Heights west of Broadway is what ppl usually recommend on this forum.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:06 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,606,281 times
As someone who's been lurking for a long time, I'm baffled by some of the rents people throw around. You can EASILY get a 1BR in the south Bronx for $1,100 or less, though you wouldn't want to. You can get a studio in Harlem, Washington Heights, or Inwood for that much. I know someone who recently signed a lease for a 1 bedroom on Ft. Washington and 183rd--the nicest section of that neighborhood--for $1,125, though admittedly that's unusual.

Washington Heights or Inwood west of Broadway are probably the best combination of safety and affordability. They look remote on a map, but the A train is very fast and convenient. You can find a studio for your budget in those neighborhoods, and possibly even a 1 br if you have a lot of time to look and some luck.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:07 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,885,482 times
Where are you commuting to?

I personally wouldn't do either Harlem or The Bronx but that's just my personal preference.

With your budget, you should be aiming at securing a a studio, and maybe if lucky a 1br.

I would recommend neighborhoods in Brooklyn like Bay Rigde, Bensonhursts, Kengsinton, or Prospect heights.

I would also recommend neighborhoods in Queens like Sunnyside, Rego Park, Forest Hills and Kew Gardens.
All very safe, and with good transportation options.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,204,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
As someone who's been lurking for a long time, I'm baffled by some of the rents people throw around. You can EASILY get a 1BR in the south Bronx for $1,100 or less, though you wouldn't want to. You can get a studio in Harlem, Washington Heights, or Inwood for that much. I know someone who recently signed a lease for a 1 bedroom on Ft. Washington and 183rd--the nicest section of that neighborhood--for $1,125, though admittedly that's unusual.

Washington Heights or Inwood west of Broadway are probably the best combination of safety and affordability. They look remote on a map, but the A train is very fast and convenient. You can find a studio for your budget in those neighborhoods, and possibly even a 1 br if you have a lot of time to look and some luck.
True words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City