U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:21 PM

10 posts, read 8,121 times

Advertisements

My son is moving to Brooklyn in a few weeks... would like a June 1st move in date but would go with earlier if apt was right. He'll be at SUNY Downstate for several years. His hours will be crazy and needs a place that is safe with parking available at all hours of the day. Willing to consider a lot or garage within walking distance to apt if street parking is out. He needs a car as he will be in all different areas of the city and cannot rely on public transit.

I've spent many hours looking at different ways to go about this search...Craigs List, Naked Apartment, Streeteasy, NY Times, etc with little success. We're considering a fee based broker, but don't know if that's necessary or how to find a broker who will look out for our needs and budget. My son would like to be in the Park Slope area (of course) but knows that would be expensive. Our budget is around $1,500 w/o roommate (not including add'l parking). Studios are fine.

Most of the contacts I've made for apartments with representatives from above sites have ended with ...that unit has an application pending, but would you be interested in or pictures are not of the actual unit but just like it...totally frustrating.

Bottom line-I'd like advise on how and where to find a small apt in "trendy" street parking-challenged area if garage/lot could be rented within walking distance to apt...or... less hip/trending area with street parking available if safe and not too far from SUNY. Also would consider a broker if I knew how to go about getting one that was knowledgeable and worth the money.

Please don't beat me up too bad. If there is another area of this site I can go to, let me know. I'm just a parent trying to make sure my son is safe and happy! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 04:35 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,867,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacrm View Post
My son is moving to Brooklyn in a few weeks... would like a June 1st move in date but would go with earlier if apt was right. He'll be at SUNY Downstate for several years. His hours will be crazy and needs a place that is safe with parking available at all hours of the day. Willing to consider a lot or garage within walking distance to apt if street parking is out. He needs a car as he will be in all different areas of the city and cannot rely on public transit.

I've spent many hours looking at different ways to go about this search...Craigs List, Naked Apartment, Streeteasy, NY Times, etc with little success. We're considering a fee based broker, but don't know if that's necessary or how to find a broker who will look out for our needs and budget. My son would like to be in the Park Slope area (of course) but knows that would be expensive. Our budget is around $1,500 w/o roommate (not including add'l parking). Studios are fine.

Most of the contacts I've made for apartments with representatives from above sites have ended with ...that unit has an application pending, but would you be interested in or pictures are not of the actual unit but just like it...totally frustrating.

Bottom line-I'd like advise on how and where to find a small apt in "trendy" street parking-challenged area if garage/lot could be rented within walking distance to apt...or... less hip/trending area with street parking available if safe and not too far from SUNY. Also would consider a broker if I knew how to go about getting one that was knowledgeable and worth the money.

Please don't beat me up too bad. If there is another area of this site I can go to, let me know. I'm just a parent trying to make sure my son is safe and happy! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Technically he won't need a car. The public transit options here are very good in getting around the city, so not sure why you would think it would be hard to get around without a car. Unless he is going to places like the Rockaways, Long Island, Westchester and New Jersey, he should be perfectly fine without a car, and that alone will save him a huge expense.

The issue here is most of the "trendy" areas will be pricey. I would have him check into Kensington, Windsor Terrace, South Park Slope, and if he's willing, Crown Heights and Bed Stuy, which some parts are still sketchy, but on the whole, these areas are gentrifying.

If he really needs his car, renting a garage is expensive, and space is very limited as they go fast. Otherwise he will have to deal with alternate side parking, which can be a pain at times.

As for trying to find an apartment in NYC that is not a scam or bait and switch, good luck. I posted about the trials and tribulations of trying to rent not too long ago. The best I can tell you is contact the ones with phone numbers. In my experience, the ones with email addresses tend to be that Nigerian scam if it's not listed as a broker property.

It should also be said that you should NOT send anyone money at all, especially on a place sight unseen. Make sure everything is in writing and don't trust someone who is not willing to do so.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:50 PM

106 posts, read 317,154 times
The above advice is good. My neighbor rents a parking spot in a garage in Park Slope and pays around 400-500 a month, and he rarely uses his car! I'd tell your son to stick with public transportation, you can get anywhere with it in most of the 5 boroughs. In the rare times that he might need a car, he could always rent one using Zipcar, etc.

It is incredibly rare to find a 1br for your range in a trendy neighborhood, even in brooklyn. Studios might be doable, but good deals like those get snatched up fast. Is roommates out of the option? Your son could probably live in a trendy neighborhood dishing around $1k to live with 1 or 2 roommates honestly.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:18 PM

204 posts, read 413,556 times
Question, how little in advance can you schedule a Zipcar? Can you schedule one at any hour of the day? Even 3 AM?

I was planning on keeping my car when I move to NYC and considered Zipcar, but then preferred to have my car available whenever I wanted it.

I was planning on leaving it in Jersey City ($70 a month) and grabbing the Path to get it or a taxi.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I think the answer to my question will help you out a little.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:23 PM

Thank you Miss J 74 and Nobody 69 for the responses. He's going to need a car. He is going to be starting a 5 year residency program at SUNY and he will need to be at any one of 6 locations, 5 in Brookyn and 1 in Staten Island. We tried to look at the public transportation options and found that some of the routes would take close to an hour from many places in Brooklyn and after putting in 16 hour days, it would be tough to devote another 2 hours to transportation. If we felt there was a way he could do without the car, we would have. Not happening I'm afraid.

Roommates are also off the table for the first year at least. Right now he doesn't know anyone in the immediate area. The hope is that he will meet someone over the next year that shares his need for a "peaceful" home life and that they can spilt the cost of future apartments. He's on his own for the first year at least.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find a good rental broker if we choose to go that route? Also, am I missing any other sources of listings for apartment rentals?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 PM

11,224 posts, read 21,660,986 times
I am recommending Ditmas Park near the B/Q Cortelyou Rd or Newkirk Ave stops. Ditmas Park is a nice but not hip neighborhood where you should be able to get a studio in your rental range. I am not sure about garage or parking space, but craigslist does have a parking/storage section you could check.

If he rents a space at home, he will also need to rent one near work because parking is a nightmare around SUNY Downstate.

If he looks in Ditmas Park, he should realize that the surrounding neighborhoods are not as nice/safe (although not horrible). For instance, some parts near the Church Ave station are not so great, and some parts around Brooklyn College are not great either. My point about this is that if an apartment is advertised as being in Ditmas Park, make sure it really is located there and not another neighborhood.

Midwood is considered safe (and maybe boring)? I don't know much about Midwood, but if he just needs a safe place that isn't so far from SUNY Downstate that fits in his budget, maybe he could look there.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:35 PM

11,224 posts, read 21,660,986 times
Also, there are mixed opinions about Prospect Lefferts Gardens, but depending on his comfort level, he could look there. It's walking distance to SUNY Downstate. I also don't know about parking in that neighborhood, but if he lived walking distance to SUNY, he would only need to worry about one parking spot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/re...pagewanted=all

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/re...pagewanted=all

Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 PM

2,899 posts, read 8,574,489 times
Park Slope is beyond your budget, unless with a roommate. It *may* be possible to find a passable studio, but garage parking is WAY beyond your budget, in the neighborhood of $500 per month, and is in SHORT supply.

Most trendy neighborhoods are rather expensive, and parking is generally prohibitive.

I would suggest trying to see if the hospital can aid in obtaining housing or matching with other residents. There is also on-campus housing though supply is limited, but worth a shot.

Your most affordable option w/b to locate in less trendy areas. Ditmas Park, Midwood, or the Brooklyn College area w/b relatively nearby and affordable options with relatively affordable parking. You also need to consider the availability and cost of parking in and around the hospital.

I suggest using a broker. Broker offices can be found along the main commercial strips in the various neighborhoods. This requires time and footwork.

I also suggest Ocean Parkway, in and around Church Avenue.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:38 PM

These comments are useful and concerning at the same time. I am surprised by the amount of work it is to find a place and I’m sure our budget is playing a big role in this. We did see some interesting apts in Ditmas Park. I will be sure to add this area onto my “possible options” list. Prospect Lefferts Gardens would probably fall within my son’s comfort zone, but I made the mistake of finding something called the NYC murder map. Boy there are a lot of little blue dots around the hospital and this neighborhood as well. Midwood does seem like a very safe place, but not a lot going on. Very few little blue dots there though!
The hospital seems overwhelmed with getting information out to the residents. We were unable to find anyone that was able to help us with this process. I’m still looking at them as a source of information and will continue to do so. We will be sure to look for the local broker offices while in town as well.
What does everyone think of Bay Ridge? How’s the parking in that area? It seems pretty far from the hospital, but Google Maps puts it at a less than 20 minute commute. Does this area have any characteristics that would appeal to a twenty something guy?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 PM

626 posts, read 2,235,461 times
Bay Ridge is very nice, a good amount of young people.
$1500 would get 2BR over there, although street parking is tough.
The general southern area (bensonhurst, gravesend, sheepshead bay) are generally safe and quiet, and could get a very nice 1BR and be under budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or