U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 PM

25 posts, read 44,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
I can't give you an actual answer, it could be either. Since your application is active, that's a good thing. It could go either way, at this point it's more luck than anything. Keep calling and showing that you're interested and make sure that your contact info is CURRENT.
Thank you for your answer. I really appreciate it. I have been calling. I hope they get back to me soon because this process is just getting me tooooo anxious .
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 27,251 times
Default Help:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
I work in development and am a market renter in an 80/20 building which is actually the sister property of the soon to be West 39th street apts aka Crystal Green apts.

The screening for the affordable tenants are vigorous. They must of course follow the strict income guidelines but also, they must have good credit which in essence eliminates TONS of applicants. Of course no criminal records either. Most of the 20% tenants are quality tenants that are screened vigorously. Of course, some bad may slip through the cracks(affordable and market).
I'm going crazy here- checking the mail every day and nothing!!! sell i stop? is it the end? I mean, if i have not get any mail as of yet, is there any hope that i'll get an apartment??

Old 06-15-2012, 01:37 PM

Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel0509 View Post
Thank you for your answer. I really appreciate it. I have been calling. I hope they get back to me soon because this process is just getting me tooooo anxious .
Did you here back from the west 39th?? or your talking about other lottery?
in any case GOOD LUCK

Old 06-15-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hili99 View Post
Did you here back from the west 39th?? or your talking about other lottery?
in any case GOOD LUCK
Thank you. Wish you good luck too. It is another lottery, 102nd and fifh avenue.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hili99 View Post
I'm going crazy here- checking the mail every day and nothing!!! sell i stop? is it the end? I mean, if i have not get any mail as of yet, is there any hope that i'll get an apartment??
When was the deadline to apply?

Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel0509 View Post
When was the deadline to apply?
April 16 2012

Old 06-17-2012, 06:58 AM

10,599 posts, read 9,024,720 times
Quote:
The City and State do not bend the strict rules for any landlord.
No disagreement, BUT as a result of the tight requirements being applied to the landlord, he in turn demands very tight compliance by all tenant-wannabes.
So the net result at the tenant level is there is NO BENDING THE RULES.
Everybody must walk on eggshells.

I've never seen a system so tight...and that's GOOD.

In NJ the Courts set up a system basically known as MOUNT LAUREL REGULATIONS which banned communities from discriminating on the basis of MONEY (strange concept for New Yorkers to conceive, I know.) But lo and behold almost ALL the Mount Laurel Units seemed mysteriously to go to cops and firefighters with a smattering of teachers... and the major's brother. And then the rich towns gave piles of money to poor towns to skirt their requirements and the mayors and councilman in the poor town suddenly got VERY rich but built very little affordable housing...go figger. Funny how that works.
(when one talks about affordable housing the winking muscles can get tired fast )

So these systems, designed for fairness, can get corrupted easily. NY's 80/20 seems unique in toeing the line, for now anyway. I think it is a terrific program even though I missed out on some of the best of them.
Maybe SOMEDAY if I get poorer...but I rather like my taste of co-op living and I've worked the system pretty well over the years so no regrets.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:54 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,037,305 times
I always get the slip in the mail a few week after the application deadline where you need to send them your social so they can run a credit check on you but never hear back after that. And my credit is excellent so who knows how this system really works.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:25 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,418,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So the net result at the tenant level is there is NO BENDING THE RULES.
True, true, and no argument from me either, but let me add: For tenants who are "already in", there's official flexibility available to them, which isn't the same as 'bending' (a word that connotes 'abuse', so I acquiesce to you on that) because such flexibility is written into the rules themselves. See 142(d)(3)(B)). For example, because of (d)(3)(B), a tenant can get a raise from his/her employer and still live in the won apartment without too much worry. So someone who knows they're soon to get a promotion and raise needn't automatically think they shouldn't apply or, if they've already won, that they're at risk of getting kicked out of a just-won apartment simply because of a modest raise. If they haven't applied/won yet, they should still apply. By assuming instead of applying, the person is doing himself/herself a disservice.

So the original reason why I said 'no bending' is a "misconception" is because most people think there's no official flexibility at all, when indeed official flexibility does exist. So, yes, there's no bending, but there is flexibility (e.g.: (d)(6), (d)(3)(B), (d)(4)(A)(i) for tenants in certain buildings, etc.)

Those Mount Laurel regulations you mentioned sure sound like a farce. Glad I don't live there. Sounds like they put the 'B' in 'bend'!

People do seem to love to paint all NY agencies as corrupt. IMO, it's very unfair when people do that.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-20-2012 at 08:34 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 07:43 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,418,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I always get the slip in the mail a few week after the application deadline where you need to send them your social so they can run a credit check on you but never hear back after that. And my credit is excellent so who knows how this system really works.
Did you need to pay? I imagine if you're asked to pay for a credit check, it might be a strong "sign" of something good. I know for a fact that if you're given a floorplan (paper copy) and subsequently invited to see a unit in-person, then that's a very good sign. A letter of congratulations asking if you'd like to sign a lease is likely to follow soon after.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are variations in the system, especially when it comes to checking credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City