U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 PM

596 posts, read 638,132 times
Default Food Stamp Applicant Rejected

What do you think about this?

It Happened to Me: I Was Rejected From Food Stamps | xoJane

Do you think that having excessive student loan debt is a proper justification for needing to go on food stamps? I think this is the beginning of what will become a much more relevant and visible debate in the future as kids get out of college and realize that the utopia they were promised would be theirs in high school if they just got a degree doesn't really exist anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 08:42 PM

359 posts, read 55,674 times
ummmmmmmm....maybe? I dunno, i have a hard time taking people seriously on the internet. it's like...sell your god damn computer, fool.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:11 AM

39 posts, read 65,104 times
I don't know. Her fridge is more full than mine. I do applaud her for not popping out a million babies.

I definitely don't think people should have to sell their computers before going on food stamps. Sure, maybe 10 years ago computers were more of a luxury, but its pretty hard to function in this society without access to one. Plus, how much is she really going to get for an old computer? They have a pretty short marketable shelf live.

Anyway,

If you can't afford the laundry mat, wash your clothes in the bathtub
If you can't afford to pay someone else to winter boots, use regular tennis shoes and walk carefully. Or fix your own boots.
If you can't afford an accountant, do your own taxes
If you can't pay your student loans, look into deferment.
If you can't afford $600/mo on rent, try moving elsewhere.
If you can't eat, ask the local food bank if they can help.

I'm sorry she got reject for food stamps. There are so many safety nets that when one fails, no one should have to starve.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 AM

596 posts, read 638,132 times
Yea I agree with you, Them. If you are hungry, there are plenty of food banks, churches, soup kitchens, etc. that will feed you. Food stamps shouldn't be the default fix for being hungry.

I know the community is pretty tight among these kids in Williamsburg, I'm sure she has friends that will ask her over for dinner or give her some food if she's starving. There are a lot of other ways she can deal with it.

My fridge has been way more empty than hers and I've survived without going on food stamps. It's tough, but she's only 24, you have to work hard and establish yourself before you can have everything at once. She probably should move back to her hometown, work for her local newspaper for a few years, work her way up, instead of just plopping down in New York right out of college and expecting a job that will pay her a living wage, especially in the creative sector. That pretty much only happens on TV.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:45 AM

3,160 posts, read 3,023,752 times
Food banks aren't doing well around here. People I know that use them claim that they are usually empty.

She should look into loan deferrment. If they are private loans, she may be screwed. It also sounds like her income is 'too high'. The threshold is very low. My savings were gone and my hours had been cut to nearly nothing before I could file. And no, selling a computer is not an option. How are you to look for jobs? Everything is online - even filing for unemployment.

But she needs to learn to live a bit more frugually. 600 for rent is cheap, but she can wash some clothes at home, and learn to entertain at home.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,900,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Do you think that having excessive student loan debt is a proper justification for needing to go on food stamps?
No, public assistance is based on documented income. Not what the income is spent on. So long as you have enough income not to qualify, the state doesn't care if after paying rent, debt or your bookie that you don't have enough money left over to feed yourself.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 AM

457 posts, read 109,432 times
comes from an upper middle class background and chose to work in a creative fieldd.

Here is a suggestion, live with your parents until you have secure your finances after graduating college.

Last edited by Kal.; 04-13-2012 at 07:21 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 06:52 AM

8,752 posts, read 8,611,515 times
I am on the fence here. I think people need a basic level of dignity, and as a top notch, first rate society, we should take care of the basic needs of our citizens, including food, education, housing, healthcare. I believe the social safety should be a bridge until you get back on your feet, and not the lifestyle it has become for many.

That being said, it seems that the bar for "basic" needs continues to rise, and understanding what real sacrifice means is lost today. The reality is what we believe are staples are in fact luxuries...computer at home means you also have internet =$$$. The local libraries are free and accessible for applying for jobs. Cable TV = $$$...regular channels should suffice. Cell Phone = $$$...a landline or a prepay should be sufficient. No shopping for new clothes, no entertaining, no travel, eating meals at home, etc should be the norm to make ends meet.

So while this person was denied food stamps, this person is single, able bodied and educated enough to find some kind of work...and the fast food chains and retail stores are ALWAYS hiring as their attrition rates are approximately 100% per year (turnover), maybe less so in NYC however as you get alot of older people clinging to low-income jobs for survival/maintain their benefits.

Not enough people IMO truly sacrifice or are hungry enough (not speaking of food) to do what they need to do to get a job/income.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 AM

508 posts, read 1,374,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
Here is a suggestion, leave with your parents until you have secure your finances after graduating college.
Amen!

This article reads like a parody. Realizing you don't have money for brunch or to pay a cobbler? REALLY?

What young people need to realize (especially those with vague liberal arts degrees and those pursuing careers in creative fields) is that you signed up for this struggle and that it's especially true if you're trying to make it in NYC. Nobody owes you a hip Sunday brunch lifestyle in brownstone Brooklyn because you graduated with a BA in sociology and write for a twee blog.

It's been said here numerous times that New York is not a place for the young and inexperienced to start their careers (unless, of course, they have wealthy backers). You can live a vastly better lifestyle in many cities in this country that still have cool "scenes" for a fraction of the cost. Put in some time, learn how to live and be an adult, and THEN move to New York. If you STILL choose to get a liberal arts degree and immediately move to NY to write a blog then know that being borderline destitute, OR just not being able to bring "your best boots to the cobbler", is all part of the journey and stop complaining.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:20 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,017,907 times
I tried to grind through the painful On-Line prequalifier and I didn't see anything about deducting loan payments from income in determining food-stamp qualification.

Remember that food stamps are ANOTHER way to transer tax money to wealthy agribusiness, the poor shmuk receiving the food doesn't get a dime. It's done to support overproduction of food, not out of the kindness of anyone's heart. Try giving poor people CASH and the farm states would go ballistic.

The article was overwordy and didn't get to the salient points like:
How much did she make last year, how much she expects to make next year, how much last MONTH, and what the cutoff income limit is that she presumably went over?

Does anyone KNOW the income limit for a single person living alone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City