Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:56 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times

Advertisements

lol OP

that sounded like a ridiculous story, what part of the city did this occur?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 05:02 AM

142 posts, read 461,821 times
When I used to get home from work around 1-4 am (late night restaurant with hours that varied according to how many people came in), I carried a big knife in my bag. Not even a switchblade, like a friggin legit knife with a sheath. My father gave it to me. I was always afraid to use it though because I feel the second you pull out a knife, the situation escalates and you're much more likely to get hurt.

My father leaves for work at 4 am every day and even though we live in a quiet neighborhood, he carries a machete (not even joking) wrapped in newspaper.

I want to buy pepper spray though; I get loads of sexual harassment from guys on the streets and it makes me nervous, even in the middle of the day.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:11 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
dont count on pepper spray to much..

its hard to deploy when you lose your fine motor skills when your in fight or flight mode. the smaller ones are almost impossible in a real situation to get oriented and squeezed off.

you better be on the right side of the wind or your going to be blinded.

it doesnt work the same on everyone . it can still leave an attacker with enough sight and breath to carry out his attack. if the attacker has a weapon the pepper spray may not prevent a thing.

with a little practice almost anyone can work through its effects.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
You know, I've been thinking about carrying pepper spray for the longest time now. I might just get it.

Growing up these last few years (Im turning 20, in case youre wondering), I get sexual harassments more than anything and I feel like something will happen one of these days. Luckily, I am a strong girl and all those years of playing volleyball payed off somewhat because I can punch pretty hard.
Here's an idea: get some of that super hot sauce at the market. Filter some and load it into a squirt gun. Give the next flasher a good shot, right in the offending Member.

Ouchiee!

I hate perverts.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:22 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
i carry a Schrade tactical pen

if i hit you in the neck with it you're screwed cause its dull but sharp

Old 05-03-2012, 12:59 AM

240 posts, read 621,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkobserveher View Post
I want to buy pepper spray though; I get loads of sexual harassment from guys on the streets and it makes me nervous, even in the middle of the day.
Looks like newyorkobserveher doesn't like New York to observe her

Old 05-03-2012, 01:13 AM

240 posts, read 621,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
dont count on pepper spray to much..

its hard to deploy when you lose your fine motor skills when your in fight or flight mode. the smaller ones are almost impossible in a real situation to get oriented and squeezed off.

you better be on the right side of the wind or your going to be blinded.

it doesnt work the same on everyone . it can still leave an attacker with enough sight and breath to carry out his attack. if the attacker has a weapon the pepper spray may not prevent a thing.

with a little practice almost anyone can work through its effects.

Good points. But I still recommend carrying mace. In any self defense situation the very first thing you need to do is remain alert, aware & responsive to the threat. If you have a can of pepperspray and you can keep your wits about you enough to figure-out the wind direction ..you'll suddenly find you have a definite advantage. I've found a good pepper-based mace will drop almost anyone if you hit the eyes/nose/mouth areas, at least momentarily.
Fortunately, most times momentarily is all you need!

Yes, with a little practice almost anyone can work thru its effects ..after about 15 minutes. Yes it won't stop someone hopped-up on PCP or meth ..then again in those cases sometimes neither will a few rounds from a .38 Special!

Praise the Lord and pass the Mace!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
get some of that super hot sauce at the market. Filter some and load it into a squirt gun. Give the next flasher a good shot, right in the offending Member.
This might be considered assault or harassment! Better to use legal means (pepper spray) in the face, IMO.
Plus, if that homemade squirt gun leaks, you won't have a pocket or purse full of hot sauce!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
a Schrade tactical pen ... it's dull but sharp
Isn't dull the opposite of sharp? How can it be both?

Last edited by bigjake54; 05-03-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Thank god NYC is progressive enough to not allow its citizens tocarry any firearm or other weapon to defend themselves.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM

93 posts, read 194,268 times
my older brother was locked upstate but taught me how to carry a razor in my mouth so i do that when i mob through the hood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: