Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,177,710 times

Advertisements

These condos are located @ Beach 100th Street & Shore Front Parkway in Rockaway Park. Does anyone live or know someone who lives there? I'd like to know if they're satisifed with the properties and the general area, also would like to know what school a 7th grader would go to if living there, since there doesn't appear to be a zoned middle school. I see that a K-12, Scholars' Academy, is about a 1/4 mile away, and it gets very good reviews, but I don't know if it's a sure thing my child would be able to go there.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 AM

67 posts, read 243,811 times
I don't live in those condos but I live in Rockaway.

As for the condos, I never saw them but a couple of my relatives looked at them. They thought they were nice but they didn't like the fact that the bedrooms were downstairs and the living spaces were upstairs (not sure if thats how all the condos look).

For schooling, the Scholar's Academy would be the best choice. If not, you're going to be zoned for PS318, the Waterside School for Leadership.

You can see its statistics here:
Statistics - WATERSIDE SCHOOL FOR LEADERSHIP - Q318 - New York City Department of Education

And its website here:
MS318 (27Q318) Waterside School for Leadership - Homepage

The school used to be PS 225 but they shut it down and broke it into two schools now. (The other being for the younger grades). I've heard mixed things about it. Although its improved from 225, I know people who have kids in the school for younger grades, who really like it but are hesitant to send their kids to the other upper level school when the times comes. I think its largely due to the fact that people want to 'wait and see' if the upper school can maintain a decent reputation as its still relatively new or if'll just become a PS225 part2.

You're other options would be the Catholic schools, (St. Francis, St. Camillus, and St. Rose.) St. Camillus would be right next door to you essentially. Or you could try looking for a place further West above 122 street to be zoned for PS114 which is considered the better public school in the Rockaways.

You may aslo want to double check PS47 in Broad Channel, I think Rockaway Beach and Rockaway Park are zoned for that too but BC kids are given preference.

Your general area is fine, your stuck between St. Camillus and the Dayton Co-ops. The summer months will obviously be the time you see the most action. They had alot more beach festivals/actvities the past couple of years and they're currently going to be building a grand stand area for musical performances soon. Rockaway is isolated though and you'll need a car to go major grocery shopping. Its a beach town, in the winter months not much is going on, though the Aviator isn't far for sport activities.

I think the best thing you can do (if you can) is to come a weekend and just walk around for a day and see if you feel comfortable walking around near where the condos are and going into a couple of the local stores.

Last edited by TheWesternEastern; 04-15-2012 at 09:47 AM..

Old 01-10-2014, 09:14 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,414,581 times
I heard they got flood in Sandy. Any word on how resales are doing post-sandy

Old 01-25-2014, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,750 times
Just got more information about the Waterside school for leadership:The middle school there got an A so they are apparently doing well. I heard alot of people who had older kids in 225 said that this school is so much better!

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City