U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 05:35 PM

242 posts, read 1,000,451 times

Advertisements

Due to my recent 40 lb weight loss since last summer reason () I have to get rid of the majority of my wardrobe to make way for my new things. It dawned on me today that I've never seen one of those clothing drop boxes in NYC. Where can I donate my stuff?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 05:59 PM

2,336 posts, read 3,323,341 times
Goodwill and Salvation Army will accept your clothing donations. Not sure where you are in NYC but I'm sure there is close enough to your place.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:09 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Also GrowNYC's CLOTHING & TEXTILE RECYCLING COLLECTIONS | GrowNYC

Old 04-15-2012, 06:11 PM

222 posts, read 564,298 times
You could also donate to Housing Works Thrift Shops if your clothes are in good condition. There are a number of them in Manhattan. One shop is on West 17th Street, between 6th and 7th Avenue. As a matter of fact, if you go east on 17th Street from the Housing Works Thrift Shop, there are at least two more thrift shops before you hit 5th Avenue.

Galee

Old 04-16-2012, 01:22 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,304,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
Due to my recent 40 lb weight loss since last summer reason () I have to get rid of the majority of my wardrobe to make way for my new things. It dawned on me today that I've never seen one of those clothing drop boxes in NYC. Where can I donate my stuff?
The reason you don't see them in NYC, is that they are NOT what they state and/or appear.

They are total misleading ripoffs. They collect the 'donated' clothes, sort them and ship them to third world countries for PROFIT!

In plain words, they SELL them for no good, but their own.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
The reason you don't see them in NYC, is that they are NOT what they state and/or appear.

They are total misleading ripoffs. They collect the 'donated' clothes, sort them and ship them to third world countries for PROFIT!

In plain words, they SELL them for no good, but their own.
Well, in all fairness, when you donate your clothes to the Goodwill and Salvation Army, they SELL those too- usually to those hipsters that live in the very same neighborhood as the store. If you want to donate them for truly non-for profit, you can give them to a shelter or an organization like Dress for Success which gives [business] clothes to disadvantaged women who are trying to get back on their feet and find steady work.

Now, if you want to sell your clothes, you can go to someplace like Beacon's Closet. They give you 30% cash or 50% store credit. But be fair warned, they are very, very, particular about what they accept. I've had to check my fashion sense ego at the door a few times when they didn't accept things that I thought were "hot shyt".

Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 AM

7,846 posts, read 10,251,518 times
There are churches you can call that will come and pick them up. I used to call St. Mary's Church in Brooklyn all the time when I lived in Queens.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 PM

2,899 posts, read 8,304,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Well, in all fairness, when you donate your clothes to the Goodwill and Salvation Army, they SELL those too- usually to those hipsters that live in the very same neighborhood as the store. If you want to donate them for truly non-for profit, you can give them to a shelter or an organization like Dress for Success which gives [business] clothes to disadvantaged women who are trying to get back on their feet and find steady work.

Now, if you want to sell your clothes, you can go to someplace like Beacon's Closet. They give you 30% cash or 50% store credit. But be fair warned, they are very, very, particular about what they accept. I've had to check my fashion sense ego at the door a few times when they didn't accept things that I thought were "hot shyt".
In all fairness, the Salvation Army and Goodwill are NOT FOR PROFIT charities! They do not sell clothes for profit. To suggest such is SILLY and unknowing!

The people who buy from them are people who cannot afford to buy NEW clothes, which is the purpose, CHARITY!

In addition, the ripoffs are in the clothes business selling clothes by the pound to third world countries!

Btw, I am talking factual knowledge, not street observations, nor supposings.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
In all fairness, the Salvation Army and Goodwill are NOT FOR PROFIT charities! They do not sell clothes for profit. To suggest such is SILLY and unknowing!

The people who buy from them are people who cannot afford to buy NEW clothes, which is the purpose, CHARITY!

In addition, the ripoffs are in the clothes business selling clothes by the pound to third world countries!

Btw, I am talking factual knowledge, not street observations, nor supposings.
Good god almighty...my point is that those places sell the clothes, not give them away. I know many, MANY people in NYC who can more than afford to by new clothes but choose to shop secondhand at the Goodwill and other similar stores. There is actually a [sub] culture of people that are thrift shoppers.

If you want to donate your clothes to an organization that wont "sell" them, you can chose something like Dress for Success or better yet, go straight to a needy and give to a shelter. My friend worked at a battered women's shelter and would regularly accept clothing donations from her friends for the women that lived in the shelter.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 PM

83 posts, read 101,915 times
The trash cans would love to keep it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City