U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 09:44 AM

20,157 posts, read 26,444,908 times

Advertisements

I have been in a elevator building since 1987 ad have never had a problem with delivery.

But one really bizarrro situation: I tried to order a BOSS loveseat online and the price was right. THe company said they deliver to my "loading dock." Say what???
So I said we have no loading dock, just banks of large elevators.
They then said they'd drive it to the street and I could unload it? Gotta be kidding me. I said we are not kids and pulling a loveseat off a truck with a bad back is not my idea of fun.
So then they said they could arrange for a truck with a lift.

Our front door is a half block from the street.

So I said FORGET IT.

I guess they were more used to dealing with companies rather than personal apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 11:01 AM

19,172 posts, read 32,707,062 times
What website was this?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-22-2013, 05:50 AM

20,157 posts, read 26,444,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What website was this?
I cannot find the old link but it was likely either officefurniture.com or Madisonseating.com

Old 12-23-2013, 08:22 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,256,748 times
Make sure it will fit through your doorway as well... A friend had the unfortunate experience of ordering a sofa from Macy's only to find it would not fit through his apartment doorway...

Old 12-25-2013, 04:42 PM

20,894 posts, read 22,693,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecomputergenius View Post
Being an inexperience buyer of furniture I had a major experience. I was supposed to have a couch and love seat delivered from havertys furniture at 8am. the min they got here they said it won't fit in the Elevator and they can't bring it up the stairs. I complained to the delivery manager who was not willing to do anything. He said the drivers are the best around and took their word. I then went to the store manager and said what would make me happy is if you or a supervisor come to my apartment and evaluate the situation. At first he agreed until he spoke with the showroom manager. The showroom manger calls me up and said he spoke the with the store supervisor and will have to agree with the supervisor that the delivery guys are the best in the industry and will have to take their word. He then offered options of getting something else, getting a refund, or I can get my own movers. I said I'll take the refund. His response was that was the last thing we wanted to do. I said oh well do you job. After that I called the CEO and got his secretary I was told someone will get back to me at the end of the day. an hour later I got a call from the delivery manger who I canceled the order with and refused to enforce the drivers to deliver my couch. he said in a very positive voice your couch will be redelivered in an hour. I got a call from the driver and he said 3 hours because of prior deliveries I said cool. They get here and he said it won't fit in the elevator I said then bring it up the stairs I'm only on the 3rd floor. and in between floors on the stair care there are mini resting platforms. he was very cooperative. He said we are not supposed to bring up the stairs but for you we will. I said in NYC they have 6 flight walk ups. He said Florida law says they are not allowed to bring it up more than 1 flight it's some insurance law. I asked about NYC he said the people there pay per floor directly to the delivery person. Anyway They did have a major problem bringing up the couch but we got it done. The door way from the platform on the 3rd floor through the door to the hallway on the 3rd floor the hallway was not wide enough but they managed after an hour of angling it. then from the hallway to my door. I gave both of them $100.00 each they were here for 2.5 hours at night. My point if you are not going to even try then we have a problem and I'll have your job. but if you work hard and it's extra hard I'll take care of you. I research this " Florida Law" about not being allowed to go up the stairs and know the BS for next time.
Haverty's is a southern company that only has stores south of Baltimore, MD. What does Florida have to do with NYC?

As to the OP (rather old), usually its spelled out in the contract that if it can't fit in the elevator then there is a per floor fee to carry it up. Or there are some companies that will only deliver to the first floor and stop right near the entrance. It depends on a mix of the size of the company, how much margin is in the furniture and how much insurance they carry.

Then there is the "under the table" route. But that depends on the group of delivery people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City