U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 PM

6,975 posts, read 11,523,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
My new job search is getting started, and some of the first postings that I'm interested in happen to be in NYC. Just wanted to ask a few questions, and maybe your answers will help me feel that yes, this is possible, or, I might decide otherwise. Thanks in advance.

Here's the rundown:

1. I'm a native Chicagoan, so city life is okay by me.
2. I like having a car. If it stays parked except for my weekend trips, I'll still keep it.
3. Prospective salaries if I take a NYC job would be between $50K to $80K.
4. I'm not against commuting to work by any means possible (subway, driving, car, city bus).
5. Reasonable distance to gay nightlife & gay-friendly areas would be a plus.
6. Jobs I'm looking at are in Manhattan, but at this stage anything's possible.
7. I've always enjoyed living near universities, because of the inexpensive options for arts, athletics, libraries, recreation facilities, food, etc.
8. If there's a "near suburb" or decent city neighborhood (think Bridgeport, Portage Park, Evanston, or Oak Lawn in the Chicago area) that would be affordable and a 30-45 minute commute to Manhattan, I would probably be fine with that.
9. I don't need anything larger than a studio, but if I have that small of a space, I want it to be nice (roomy, light, somewhat modernized.) An old building is okay as long as everything works!
10. I like safe parks, some sense of nature (even if its just a small yard with a lawn and garden), nighttime walks. Possible or not?
11. Would like to have a dog.

I've only started looking into NYC apartments, neighborhoods, etc. So far, a couple threads about Astoria caught my attention.

Thanks.
I think Astoria would be a good choice. In Brooklyn, you could check out Bay Ridge, Ditmas Park and Kensington.

I get what you are asking for. Some of what you want is really unnecessary -- like living by a university. In NY, just get on the subway any hour of the day and go to the free educational event, wherever it is. This is an extremely mobile city because of the public transportation options and it's hard to grasp that coming from a smaller city.

Don't get the dog, and get rid of the car if possible. It's a liability as much as a luxury, and unless it's really required, it's a pain to keep it. The problem is alternate side parking, which means you can't just leave the car unused until the weekend when you need it. You would have to be home at the right time to get a spot, and in some areas, street parking is really difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 PM

711 posts, read 1,095,837 times
Should I get a job offer in NYC, I think I've gotten some really good advice here. Thanks, all.

I get that I could look at Astoria, Bay Ridge, Ditmas Park, Kensington, Washington Heights, Inwood, Hoboken -- and see if any of those are a good fit and what's available at the time. Also I get from the thread that living near NYU is probably unworkable but easy to commute to.

None of the comments about difficulty turned me off completely to NYC, but I do now better understand the hard financial realities of the city. This does make me realize that, while growing up in Chicago, I really did not appreciate the simple things, luxuries, that the city provided me. Nothing like growing up in a two-car, two-big-dog family in a large city, in a solid house where everything worked, with a front and back yard, in a safe neighborhood just 25 minutes from downtown, and all this on a parents' less-than-middle-class-income. If you know of Bridgeport in Chicago, I grew up a couple miles west of there.

So I think Jcoltrane actually read me pretty well. I had it pretty good growing up, and I'm not one that enjoys struggle and I usually do anything I can to avoid it. I have experienced some brushes with poverty in my family -- including my financial struggles through grad school and for about four years afterwards, and a parent's move to a borderline neighborhood. It's definitely not my thing.

I dislike that the midwest is not very dynamic, especially socially and culturally. But it would be a difficult choice to move to a lifestyle with possibly more "struggle" even if the social options are better. The midwest has spoiled me, I guess. And I do think I would feel very limited if all my money went for rent and left me without much extra to enjoy city life and night life.

Like several said, to really know, I'd have to spend a month exploring NYC and go for there. I know I'd love being there, but it does seem questionable if the logistics could work out for me. Since the positions I'm looking are in the general category of "consulting" (not quite, but still a good descriptor), I might have the luxury of accepting a position on a trial basis and working things out from that point.

Thanks.

Last edited by summer22; 04-18-2012 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City