U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,086,170 times

Advertisements

i guess but you'll still wind up old
and flat broke so what's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 PM

44 posts, read 70,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
How can you be smart enough to land a job that pays 135k and not be smart enough to know that it's enough to survive in ANY city in the United States?
I totally hear your argument Though as others might have already noted, The question was more about the quality of living rather than just the ability to live on such an income. I know I easily survive on $135K there, but in terms of relative social status and buying power, where do I stand?

The other thing is, I hear arguments saying one can easily survive on less than 6 figure income in Manhattan, and others saying 3K could barely get you a dorm room size apartment....So, I got a little confused trying to sort out what's reality and what's dramatized about NYC.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
It doesn't necessarily take smarts!

All it takes is having the necessary education, skills, and/or experienced which is in DEMAND, in a lucrative industry.

For example, you c/b a 21 year old kid right out of school, with a degreed backgound in certain areas of finance, science, or the law, and receive such an ENTRY level salary. All these kids know is the book learning. They may nothing else about life.

This is real, which may or may not apply to the OP.

Correct. There are certain niche, lucrative, and in demand areas in software engineering that easily pay this kind of salary (well, in big cities like NYC and San Francisco). Specifically, massive data processing and analytics is one, designing distributed messaging systems is another...etc

Old 04-16-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i guess but you'll still wind up old
and flat broke so what's the point?
Are you speaking out of experience? If so, can you please elaborate more?

Old 04-16-2012, 04:28 PM

129 posts, read 333,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittgenstein83 View Post
If so, how well can you live on that salary?

Here's the background: I'm currently going through some phone interview rounds for a software engineering job at a firm in the financial district. If all goes well and offer provided/accepted, I would like to relocate to Manhattan.

Well, to be honest, and as you can tell, my post is about relocating to NYC, but I didn't want to title it that way because reading so many previous posts from "gullible souls" as new yorkers put it in their responses (lol), I didn't want to sound like one. So here's some info, and please tell me if I'm too crazy to consider such move (i.e. will live poor until 6-12 months later the harsh reality of NYC knocks me out and sends me back home ) OR if i'm on the right track and thinking reasonably. So:

Have I been to NYC before?
Yes - once in summer last year on a business trip, but spent the weekend on my own in Manhattan. Booked a furnished studio around 43rd & 2nd and I didn't mind that area -- I was mostly partying with a woman I met on that trip in different parts of town though..

Where do I live?
Currently in the very quietly boring pacific northwest (no offense), but I grew up in troubled loud and obnoxious cities overseas and visited almost all of major european cities -- so I know the basics of safe/act like a victim and you'll become one/big city challenges...etc.

My personal status?
Single, male, 29 year old, not looking at blending in a wife and kids any time soon. Graduate degree in engineering, experienced engineer.

Salary vs. Expenses:
Will sell my car when I relocate, looks like the salary will shape up to $130k-$135k base. I'm shooting for a studio to 1br with a budget of $1,800 - $2,000 -- Is that reasonable? Other than rent, utilities, food, laundry, internet, cellphone, public trans, and going out on weekends, I don't think I have other expenses. I guess UWS and UES are out of reach for this budget, right? So, what would be your recommendations for areas to narrow my search to? Can you get some decent studio-1br in FiDi for this budget?

So, will I be able to live comfortably/happy in the city? or am I just another eager gullible soul who watched too much Seinfeld?
get that job first.. sounds like you are in the intro/screening stage.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrowe224 View Post
get that job first.. sounds like you are in the intro/screening stage.
Agreed. Though, wanted to be proactive in case things went well.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:00 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,892,923 times
Quote:
If so, how well can you live on that salary?
Will sell my car when I relocate, looks like the salary will shape up to $130k-$135k base. I'm shooting for a studio to 1br with a budget of $1,800 - $2,000 -- Is that reasonable? Other than rent, utilities, food, laundry, internet, cellphone, public trans, and going out on weekends, I don't think I have other expenses. I guess UWS and UES are out of reach for this budget, right? So, what would be your recommendations for areas to narrow my search to? Can you get some decent studio-1br in FiDi for this budget?
Your budget is low considering your salary. Doesn't matter how much you make if you aren't willing to spend it. The UWS and UES aren't out of reach for what you can afford on that salary.

If you want bigger and/or cheaper, you could consider Hoboken (NJ); the savings in city tax alone is worth over $400/month.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 AM

20,182 posts, read 26,506,670 times
Quote:
I totally hear your argument Though as others might have already noted, The question was more about the quality of living rather than just the ability to live on such an income. I know I easily survive on $135K there, but in terms of relative social status and buying power, where do I stand?

The other thing is, I hear arguments saying one can easily survive on less than 6 figure income in Manhattan, and others saying 3K could barely get you a dorm room size apartment....So, I got a little confused trying to sort out what's reality and what's dramatized about NYC.

Well, you certainly won't be invited to any of the Biddles' parties and forget the MOMA fundraiser. Your buying power will be very fine but $135K won't get you any social status at all. There are families in NYC that have wealth that even GOD would envy.

But don't worry, you can have a ball (if not a Cotillion.) Heck you're making almost 3 times the median family income.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,086,170 times
lol just saying: find a way to make all
that money grow. don't just give it
all back to the man.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,775,875 times
definitely can

gotta work it, gotta know the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City