U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 04:03 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,735,868 times
I love Tudor City, and you're right that a lot of people don't know about it. The only drawback is that damn hill - must be hard after a long day at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 07:17 PM

84 posts, read 67,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Oh My GOD:

The new owners quickly set about converting Tudor City into co-op apartments, as was happening across the city. Conversions were completed with little problem but when the real estate market and economy slowed in 1989-1994, some co-op prices dropped significantly, as owners and investors were concerned that the co-ops themselves would become insolvent.

In April 2008, New York Magazine recalled the 1989 slump:

"... at Tudor City, owner Time Equities couldn't cover the complex's underlying mortgage and taxes (not to mention utility bills and staff costs), and ended up giving it away, unit by occupied unit, in a jaw-dropping fire sale: In 1992, if the new owner were willing to assume the accrued debts, a Tudor City one-bedroom could be had for $3,500

I rember the fire-sale auctions very well, but most were in the outer boroughs...not Tudor City that one slipped by me.
Part of the gimmick was that some of the lower priced co-ops came with a stabilized tenant who was as immoveable as Rodin's THE THINKER.
The developers having the fire sales often tried to hide this fact.

It was an EXCITING time...1989 to about 1992. Best time for a real estate bargain in my lifetime.
Un-renovated Studios were $25-30,000 at the bottom. If TE sold some at ridiculously low prices, that had to have been in bulk and the back maintenance had to have been considerable. No single units were ever on the open market at that kind of price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City