U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:24 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,646,600 times

Advertisements

Overall I think this hotel will be successful, and I think most people don't understand the community enough and simply write-off most investment as "crazy" or "will be a failure." Remember, across the street from this property will be a major new development:

EDC taps Triangle Equities to develop $35M Bronx project

"The sites, a 53,800-square-foot area at 430 Westchester Avenue, and another 58,000-square-foot parcel of land between East 149th Street, Brook Avenue and Westchester Avenue, both in the Melrose area, will be developed to include a supermarket, school, office space, restaurant and other community facilities. It will also include a new 8,000-square-foot plaza at Bergen Avenue and 149th Street."

This is an artist rendering of what that new retail development will look like. It is impressive, and as you can see, this hotel is anticipating the great changes coming.

Projects Add Amenities to Hub in Bronx - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:47 AM

109 posts, read 175,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Overall I think this hotel will be successful, and I think most people don't understand the community enough and simply write-off most investment as "crazy" or "will be a failure." Remember, across the street from this property will be a major new development:

EDC taps Triangle Equities to develop $35M Bronx project

"The sites, a 53,800-square-foot area at 430 Westchester Avenue, and another 58,000-square-foot parcel of land between East 149th Street, Brook Avenue and Westchester Avenue, both in the Melrose area, will be developed to include a supermarket, school, office space, restaurant and other community facilities. It will also include a new 8,000-square-foot plaza at Bergen Avenue and 149th Street."

This is an artist rendering of what that new retail development will look like. It is impressive, and as you can see, this hotel is anticipating the great changes coming.

Projects Add Amenities to Hub in Bronx - WSJ.com
Have they broke ground on this development at all? I will believe it once I see some construction done.

Chipotle, score!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 AM

Well 3 things:

1. They have not officially broken ground yet. They are commencing construction this fall. They have already taken control of the properties, closed the parking lots, and shuttered the existing boxing gym.

2. Chipotle has not officially signed on, or at least they have not made that announcement yet. If you note, it is actually "Chipotte". I suspect however it will be a chipotle as they would not use such a similar name otherwise, and it is owned by McDonald's. But yes, I agree..score with Chipotle..love that place.

3. I think the large restuarant will be a Dallas BBQ, I have heard rumors and I am confident that is what it will be. I will check this place out also!

The area has also seen a flood of new gyms opening, which surprised me. There was the existing Lucille Roberts, but the Planet Fitness opened last year, and there is another gym opening on 156th and St Anns in the St Anns Terrace development. And the new triangle equities development will also have a large gym.

Add in the boutique hotel, all the new massive working/middle class developments, and other retail coming in, and you can see that change is happening right before our eyes. For those who always "miss the boat" on changing communities... THIS IS IT RIGHT NOW.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 AM

3,083 posts, read 6,174,237 times
When I was in Paris, I stayed at a hotel in the 13th Arrondissment (District), which is well away from the "big sites". But the hotel was situated at Place D'Itale, right next door to the train station. The station was a major transfer point, for three trains. Based on the location, I could travel anywhere in the city. Place D'Itale was also located where there was a shopping center. The hotel was very economical, about $85/night.

One thing I have learned about living and traveling......location, location, location, and value, value, value, or the best for less! This hotel that is to open in the Bronx is located on an express subway stop, with two express trains going into Manhattan, only 15-20 minutes to Midtown (alright, 25 minutes on the 2 to Times Square). Add to that, the location situated in a popular shopping area.....all for $125-$149 per night, in the City of New York. FYI, the Brooklyn Marriott is located in Downtown Brooklyn; a major transit location and shopping, but is $369 per night!

To the people who are skeptical about the hotel in the Bronx due to its location, I will say this: I truly believe that there will be travelers who will seriously take a chance at $125-$149/night at that location! Peace!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 PM

I am skeptical also, and I am one of the Southern Bronx's biggest proponents, and it's ok to have a healthy level of skepticism. I think in the long run it will be successful, but it will have some challenges early on.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:02 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,309,373 times
Interesting! This is nothing but good news for the Bronx no matter how you slice it. If/when people with money rent out this hotel then it'll just further improve the hub which has already changed dramatically as of late.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,309,373 times
I love the fact that this guy is brave and believes in the Bronx. Most people would give up or won't even consider it. I appreciate people like him who see something special in a place and go with their vision that everyone else might oppose.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:59 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,644,620 times
There is MAJOR development occurring in the southwest quadrant of the Bronx. By far this area is seeing the most in the borough, if not among the top in the entire city.

The Hub area (East 149th st/Melrose Ave/Third Ave) has fantastic potential and there are a number of projects recently completed, near completion, or planned. Via Verde was only the beginning.

What people sometimes fail to realize is that this area (the Hub) is located at a major express subway station offering transportation to both the East and West of Manhattan. It's also rich in basic amenities and has a real potential for higher spec chains. As development continues we will see an increase in amenities, it takes time.

Top Bronx neighborhoods ripe for gentrification:
-The Hub (2/5 Train, major retail)
-Grand Concourse neighborhoods (starting with the E 161st St corridor and Bedford Park/Norwood; great transit, amenities, mixed zoned, density)
-Port Morris (South of Major Deegan, first neighborhood north of Manhattan realistic potential for waterfront highrises)
-Pelham Parkway/Bronx Park East (2 Express, good retail)
-Melrose (Green development, ripe vacant land parcels)

These areas are already gentrifying as we speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or