U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 AM

20 posts, read 49,566 times

Advertisements

Foremost, I like to apologize if this is the wrong thread to post this question.

Last year, I quit my job(not related to my degree at all, had to take it in order to pay the bills) to join the US Army Reserves. I'll be finished with training in a couple of months. When I return to NYC, I like to know if I am eligible to file for unemployment benefits while I look for a new career or go back to school. Before I joined the military, I quit my job because I had no intentions of going back to it after my training since it was not related to my expertise, and frankly I didn't enjoy doing my job.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:11 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,316,639 times
You are not eligile when you voluntarily terminate, i.e., "quit"!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:22 AM

Since i quit, are they expecting me to return to my old job, even though I quit more than a year ago? I still work the military part time, (one weekend a month)

Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM

518 posts, read 1,344,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ienoch View Post
Foremost, I like to apologize if this is the wrong thread to post this question.

Last year, I quit my job(not related to my degree at all, had to take it in order to pay the bills) to join the US Army Reserves. I'll be finished with training in a couple of months. When I return to NYC, I like to know if I am eligible to file for unemployment benefits while I look for a new career or go back to school. Before I joined the military, I quit my job because I had no intentions of going back to it after my training since it was not related to my expertise, and frankly I didn't enjoy doing my job.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Unemployment doesn't care what the circumstances are, if you quit - that was your choice, and will not cover you. Im sorry to break it to you. Can you get help with job resources through the Army? Unemployment will also help you search, but most of their jobs are very low wage/retail gigs. Seems very unfair.
FYI - you can apply to unemployment via the internet - the system will let you know if you qualify in 10 mins - I say give it a try.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM

I appreciate the replies, thank you.

So in essence, you have to be "terminated" or what not in order to receive unemployment benefits I understand.

Well, I quit my last job only to work for the military full time while in-training, however, when training is over, i'll return to working for them part-time(one weekend a month).

If they look at my last job, wouldn't it be the military? and if thats the case, I'm not actually quitting but rather, being taken off active duty status because of completion of training. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

The army does have resources, but they're not that great. Plus, I want to go back for more education in a different field.

Again, thank you.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:23 PM

You do not receive unemployment when you quit or are fired for good cause.

Unemployment is for people who get laid off and/or the company goes out of business. In other words, for people who lose their job through no fault of their own.

Sorry, I doubt reserve training and the reserve duty qualifies for unemployment. You should have asked your job for a leave of absence or unpaid vacation for reserve training rather than quitting.

Since you quit, your old job is not obligated to rehire you. Though, if you were a good worker and explain things, maybe they will hire you back. Go see them. Maybe even wear your uniform.

Why not look into actually joing the military?

Last edited by jcoltrane; 04-16-2012 at 01:37 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 PM

204 posts, read 388,463 times
def ask if you can have your old job back.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:38 PM

20,169 posts, read 26,480,657 times
If your "service" is considered "active duty" you are eligible for unemployment compensation with no references to you old job. Certainly if they "call you up" you'll qualify afterwards.

Why not just file for unemeployment...it's easy online, and they'll tell you quick enough if you qualify or not.

If you quit a job "for a good reason" you can get unemployment. Only question is whether signing up for the reserves is "good enough reason." It may well be.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:58 PM

Curious, WHat is good reason reason?

Old 04-16-2012, 03:04 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,937,197 times
The following might help, but the only way to find out for sure wether you qualify or not is by applying.

Check it out:

You may be eligible for benefits if:
  • You lost your job due to lack of work
  • The temporary or seasonal employment ended
  • Your job was eliminated
  • There was an involuntary reduction in force
  • The company downsized or shut down
  • The company restructured or reorganized
  • There was a lack of company operating funds/orders
  • You were out of work for any other business reason that you did not choose or control
  • Your employer discharged or fired you because you could not meet their performance or production standards, or their qualifications for the job
You may be denied benefits if you:
  • Were fired because you violated a company policy, rule or procedure, such as absenteeism or insubordination
  • Quit your job without good cause, such as a compelling personal reason
  • Are out of work because of a work stoppage (except for lockouts) in the last 49 days that violated an existing collective bargaining agreement where you worked

Before You Apply For Unemployment - New York State Department of Labor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City