Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 PM

72 posts, read 274,003 times

Advertisements

When i take a flight, i have always took a cab to and from the airport at JFK. This always cost between $45-$60. I read that one can take the subway there and then an airtrain and its very cheap.

My question is, would this be a very bad idea since i have luggage? I will be carrying one messenger bag with me and also a bag that is luggage but it isn't huge. Its a 25' luggage so it doesnt take up that much space.

My flight is at 10:30am so I will need to be there by 8:30am or so since i need to check a bag. Would it be a bad idea going to JFK Airport at this time since its in the morning?

Also, can someone tell me whats the easiest way to get there by train? I read you take the A train all the way to Far Rockaway? But another mentions you could take the E train. Well... what is the preferred way for someone that has luggage with them? Someone said one way was better as its more luggage friendly. I assume they are talking about when they get off the train station and then board the airtrain? I heard this is at Howard Beach the E train?

So Im not confused, i just take the subway there... Then i pay $5 to ride the airtrain and thats it which cost $7.25 total? Someone mentioned that you have to pay the 2.25 ride and cant use an unlimited? That sounds confusing b/c most ppl are going to be taking the train at a regular stop. Or is there another $2.25 fare? And once you get off at the train station and take that airtrain, is it normally on time in the morning? Like how long does it take from there to the JFK Airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 07:32 PM

55 posts, read 182,640 times
I took the A to howard beach and then the air train. you cannot use an unlimited, correct. you're also correct on the fare. You'll be reverse commuting, so once you get out of manhattan your train will be pretty much empty. i'd bring a suitcase on wheels.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 PM

Im confused a bit. So if i take the A train at 168th street, how would i not be able to use an unlimited? Or do you mean when i get off at howard beach, i need to use another ride?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 PM

My luggage will have wheels. And i will be carrying a messenger bag on my shoulders. Do you think that would be fine?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:00 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Its 5$ for the Airtrain....i'm sure you'll be fine with a wheeled luggage and bag....I see alot of people do that to the Airport or Amtrak without an issue...

Old 04-16-2012, 08:17 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
If you take the E train it will get you to Sutphin Blvd. subway station in Jamaica and from there you can transfer to Airtrain. There are escalators at the Sutphin Blvd subway station and then elevators up to the level of the Airtrain. So there is no problem to transfer there with luggage. I have seen many people on the E train with luggage going to JFK. Also it is no problem to take the E train early in the morning.
You can use an unlimited Metrocard for the subway ride. But you can't use the unlimited Metrocard to pay for the Airtrain. You can use a Pay-Per-Ride Metrocard to pay the $5 fare for the Airtrain.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 PM

Okay since i have luggage. You are saying its best to take the E train there as oppose to A train correct?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewalsh View Post
Okay since i have luggage. You are saying its best to take the E train there as oppose to A train correct?
You can take the E or the A to JFK Airport....

Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 PM

Okay but isn't the E better because its more friendly for those with luggage? My luggage will have wheels.

Also, isn't there 2 different A trains? The thing is i would be planning to take these train early like 6:30 in the morning. But i read the A train to Far Rockaway doesn't run around that time?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,760 times
You can use the unlimited until you arrive at the Airtrain where you have to pay $5 hence, not able to use the unlimited card.

E train to Jamaica Center or A train to Howard Beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City